or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 2453

post #36781 of 44318
The only times I've ever thought "damn, that guy is definitely a skinhead" were when I saw someone with basically the whole kit: bleached denim, stomper boots, shaved head, jacket w/ St. George's Cross stitched on it.

So...Don't do that
post #36782 of 44318

It's well into the new year, so I hope we get to hear from TOJ one way or another. If they keep taking orders into Feb I'll order the women's band collar double rider for sure. 

 

Edit: Slightly concerned after that comment about changes in the lamb. Others who've recently received, please comment? It's probably just variation, still...

post #36783 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDinh View Post

The leathers come from live animals at a point in time and no two animals are the exact same, could be a reason for the difference in thickness of the end product.

 

 


I feel you. It just sucks being stuck with luck of the draw when it comes to these sorts of things. 

 

 

 

Drew has even pointed out the thickness of the lamb as one of his major quality points in the past.

post #36784 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

The only times I've ever thought "damn, that guy is definitely a skinhead" were when I saw someone with basically the whole kit: bleached denim, stomper boots, shaved head, jacket w/ St. George's Cross stitched on it.

So...Don't do that


I hear you but most plebs really don't know exactly what to look for.  On a couple different occasions back in the day when i was wearing brown red wings and a chore coat i got a few jokes from close friends about looking like a skinhead.  Just gauging for the average guy on the street.  I know its a silly thing to be fixated on but I live in LA where there's a big Jewish population.  People didn't grow up with skinheads here in the US and don't realize it takes more than a shaved head and jacket.

 

Probably dieworkwear's advice is my best bet.

post #36785 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazman View Post
 


I hear you but most plebs really don't know exactly what to look for.  On a couple different occasions back in the day when i was wearing brown red wings and a chore coat i got a few jokes from close friends about looking like a skinhead.  Just gauging for the average guy on the street.  I know its a silly thing to be fixated on but I live in LA where there's a big Jewish population.  People didn't grow up with skinheads here in the US and don't realize it takes more than a shaved head and jacket.

 

Probably dieworkwear's advice is my best bet.

The chore coat might have reminded them of the "Brown Shirts" (looks similar to duck canvas in color, worn by Sturmabteilung (early SS), and modern national socialists). Boots will always remind people of militaristic things.

post #36786 of 44318

Just got my lamb A2, lamb is great and thicker than my previous TOJ lamb. Can we get back to the somewhat mediocre discussions now?

 

Can't wait to get my steel grey suede BCDR. Any other suede DR's in queue that aren't blue? Charly suggested a whiskey but I didn't think the color would fit me well, hoping someone else ordered one.

post #36787 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurks View Post
 

Just got my lamb A2, lamb is great and thicker than my previous TOJ lamb. Can we get back to the somewhat mediocre discussions now?

 

Can't wait to get my steel grey suede BCDR. Any other suede DR's in queue that aren't blue? Charly suggested a whiskey but I didn't think the color would fit me well, hoping someone else ordered one.

 

pics or it didnt happen

post #36788 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDinh View Post

The leathers come from live animals at a point in time and no two animals are the exact same, could be a reason for the difference in thickness of the end product.

While it is true that scars, growth marks, and other superficial or structural properties differ from animal to animal and from where the leather is extracted, the thickness and consistency is actually quite controllable.

Lambskin is nowhere as thick as cowhide but it's thickness is usually determined after tanning by a splitter machine that splits the leather into different thicknesses in a very consistent manner. When a designer purchases a bale of leather from a supplier, the thickness isn't a random draw from the hat, it is specifically stated when the leather is ordered. When the leather arrives, the leather thickness meets a certain tolerance of thickness, where the majority of it is within bounds of the specified thickness.
post #36789 of 44318
Q: Redundant to have both a CM (lamb) and MDR (calf)? I'm debating switching the CM to an A-2 but kind of conflicted...
post #36790 of 44318

They're both different styles of jackets, so not redundant at all. Depends what you prefer really.

post #36791 of 44318

Sitting about kicking myself that I didn't buy the Daypack V2

post #36792 of 44318
Go buy a kill spencer backpack then, close enough
post #36793 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurks View Post

Just got my lamb A2, lamb is great and thicker than my previous TOJ lamb. Can we get back to the somewhat mediocre discussions now?

Can't wait to get my steel grey suede BCDR. Any other suede DR's in queue that aren't blue? Charly suggested a whiskey but I didn't think the color would fit me well, hoping someone else ordered one.

Pics pics pics! There's a crop of A2's trickling out. Month you ordered?
post #36794 of 44318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

Can anyone else who has recently received lambskin comment on this?

Lamb skin thickness has been very inconsistent in my experience. My bomber feels almost twice as thick as my friend's (brown lamb). Also, one sleeve of my black lamb mdr is significantly thicker than the other. Bothered me a lot but eventually just got used to it.
post #36795 of 44318
Out for delivery icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011