or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 2240

post #33586 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

The same beefy 2 way zips used by ToJ are also used by Barbour To Ki To collection, and they effectively chewed up my knits and scarves.
Excella zippers I have on Nanamica and Ten C also uses Excella, on the other hand, is much lighter and smoother.
Still, I think Excella is more for luggages, and its sliders are not really nice on clothes IMO. plus someone said its $75 to upgrade and that's bullshit upgrade price to pay for MiJ YKK to Excella
Source: Relative is a zipper retailer wholesaler so I grew up seeing/touching bunch of zipperes.

So are you saying you think Excela is better either way?

post #33587 of 42229
The difference between retail and wholesale is pretty dramatic. Drew isn't buying crates of Excella zippers.
post #33588 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

The same beefy 2 way zips used by ToJ are also used by Barbour To Ki To collection, and they effectively chewed up my knits and scarves.
Excella zippers I have on Nanamica and Ten C also uses Excella, on the other hand, is much lighter and smoother.
Still, I think Excella is more for luggages, and its sliders are not really nice on clothes IMO. plus someone said its $75 to upgrade and that's bullshit upgrade price to pay for MiJ YKK to Excella
Source: Relative is a zipper retailer wholesaler so I grew up seeing/touching bunch of zipperes.

Wait, so what do you suggest?  It sounds like you're saying they're all bad.

post #33589 of 42229

FWIW, I found a post by Drew in 2011 about MMM using Excella, so I don't think it would be a bad choice, by speculation.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob99 View Post
So just to confirm, the current-season Margiela leather jackets are using YKK zippers? Has anyone bought one recently, and can you comment on the quality? Just debating used vs. new, since I don't seem to be able to find any NOS sales of black jackets from the previous season.

I will answer this, since I actually know what the fuck I am talking about: MMM has been using YKK made in Japan Excella zippers for 5 years now, on the 5-zip. On the women's version, MRS zippers have been used from time to time, but the women's version is rare to begin with, and this season Barney's Japan had one limited edition replica of the 2001 version with blacked out MRS zippers to mimic the original, while the regular production models had the same YKK zips.

If anyone can even find any info on MRS zips, you get brownie points for the day. 
post #33590 of 42229
I am guessing MRS is more niche/ high end zippers that EXPENSIVE fashion brands use, kind of Lampo's higher-end line. Never seen it in person though.
Funny story. The whole sale relative once told me how she was sending Lampo Italy zipper to a small factory where they make S level fake LV bags. She was laughing at the fact that the fakes use higher quality zippers than the real bags.

As for quality questions, I am sorry I caused confusion. The one ToJ used is very high quality by itself, even though it did terrible things to more delicate articles. I just wanted to add my two cents in the recent zipper talk and Brad's reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

No, it's fine.
It really is fine.
post #33591 of 42229
We're replacing everyone's zippers with plastic ones because your zipper talks have angered the zipper gods.
post #33592 of 42229

For the front length, should I just go with Charly's suggestion? I want the jacket to be an inch shorter than my tee when it's unzipped

 

Something like this would be fine http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=16862

post #33593 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

We're replacing everyone's zippers with plastic ones because your zipper talks have angered the zipper gods.

peepwall[1].gif
post #33594 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

peepwall[1].gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #33595 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

come on, look at that lamb. nowhere near as supple.

i read on the site actually the varsity will have calfskin sleeves hmmmm but of course the price is really jacked up 

post #33596 of 42229
I finally received tracking on my Navy/Grey TOJ0 after too many weeks to count.

So I expect to have it end of this week.
post #33597 of 42229
I was debating between order the MDR in calf or lamb. Just wondering which leather is more durable for frequent almost daily wear? Will the lamb be more prone to scratches and scuffs, also what about creasing and other types of wear?
post #33598 of 42229
Both are more than durable enough for daily wear. The lamb will be scuffed and scratched if pressed hard against abrasive surfaces.
post #33599 of 42229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsnu View Post

I finally received tracking on my Navy/Grey TOJ0 after too many weeks to count.

So I expect to have it end of this week.

when did you order?
post #33600 of 42229
March 6th or 22 weeks ago
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011