or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 2109

post #31621 of 41841
Going for a collared moto as my first/only ToJ (and leather jacket, in general). Opposite question as schultjr: I want something dark (but not black).
Brown lamb, brown goat, or oxblood calf?
Any of them would go with what I normally wear (lotsa blue and grey), so versatility isn't an issue. I'd go for blue lamb except would look weird with dark blue trou. I'm in my 30's & in academia, so I want something that's pub, not club.

Drew's says goat's the classic, though I don't think I like the texture.
Oxblood pics look phenomenal -- and I have boots that color -- but the jacket's quite heavy and I worry about stiffness (har!).
Brown lamb is fine (and sounds like it feels amazing), but maybe _too_ plain?
post #31622 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by guayabera View Post

Going for a collared moto as my first (and only?) ToJ. Opposite question as schultjr: I want something dark (but not black).
Brown lamb, brown goat, or oxblood calf?
I'd go for blue lamb except would look weird with dark denim. I'm in my 30's & in academia, so I want something that's pub, not club.

Drew's says goat's the classic, though I don't think I like the texture.
Oxblood pics look phenomenal -- and I have boots that color -- but the jacket's quite heavy and I worry about stiffness (har!).
Brown lamb is fine (and sounds like it feels amazing), but maybe _too_ plain?

If its your first and only TOJ, you sort of have to do yourself the favor and the lamb. Otherwise, the dark brown got looks amazing.

Brown CM is pretty classic. It's only "boring" compared to all the other offerings but its likely far from boring when you wear it.

It's the only TOJ I regretted selling... shog[1].gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #31623 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by guayabera View Post

Going for a collared moto as my first/only ToJ (and leather jacket, in general). Opposite question as schultjr: I want something dark (but not black).
Brown lamb, brown goat, or oxblood calf?
Any of them would go with what I normally wear (lotsa blue and grey), so versatility isn't an issue. I'd go for blue lamb except would look weird with dark blue trou. I'm in my 30's & in academia, so I want something that's pub, not club.

Drew's says goat's the classic, though I don't think I like the texture.
Oxblood pics look phenomenal -- and I have boots that color -- but the jacket's quite heavy and I worry about stiffness (har!).
Brown lamb is fine (and sounds like it feels amazing), but maybe _too_ plain?

Well if you don't like the texture, don't get goat.

The calf really isn't that stiff (in my opinion), but it is significantly heavier than the lamb.

The brown lamb is probably the best color-wise for someone who wants a single TOJ jacket. It is good material and I like it, but the I think other TOJ lambskins (black and navy) are superior in "lux" feel. I have a minimalist moto in brown lamb and really like it.
post #31624 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultjr View Post

Does anyone have a suggestion for a lighter shade jacket? Preferably a rather conservative one that could be paired with raw denim, brown boots, and OCBDs? Also, if a lighter jacket should not be paired with that stuff at all, that is good feedback too.

I was thinking maybe a portobello horsehide moto or a toffee tan BCDR. Any other suggestions? Dark whiskey would have been my first choice, but that is not an option any longer.
 

FYI, I was just informed that my Portobello HH MDR cannot be made, because the leather is no longer available.  (And I ordered beginning of april)

 

Unfortunate, because it looked to be a  promising color!

post #31625 of 41841
The 2013DR is lamb, it fits wonderfully, and I'll get better pictures up later.
post #31626 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

If its your first and only TOJ, you sort of have to do yourself the favor and the lamb. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

That's the brown?!? Damn, that's nice. I spent a day reading through your old posts trying to figure out if it was whiskey or red, and gave up shog[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaus17 
The brown lamb is probably the best color-wise for someone who wants a single TOJ jacket. It is good material and I like it, but the I think other TOJ lambskins (black and navy) are superior in "lux" feel.

Hrm. How would/could one wear the navy with jeans?

Thanks for the replies!
post #31627 of 41841
I'm on the verge of ordering the QDR in navy lamb but I feel def gonna be much harder to pull off than anything I've worn before. I don't think it'll go with jeans that well honestly, at least not as well as a pair of tan chinos.
post #31628 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by guayabera View Post


Hrm. How would/could one wear the navy with jeans?

Thanks for the replies!

Step 1: Put on jeans
Step 2: Put on navy jacket
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit biggrin.gif

...but in seriousness, if you are going for "what will be the best combo with jeans", the brown lamb just wins outright. The navy lamb can be done with jeans, but again, it doesn't "go" as well as the brown. If you can manage it, try for as much contrast as you can and wear a light colored shirt. The navy lamb (in my opinion) is not really navy, but more of a dark blue. I think this photo is pretty color accurate.



With jeans:



I've worn a navy sweater with jeans many times and no one has ever thought it looked off.
post #31629 of 41841
Yeah, jeans don't really do navy lamb justice. Like a navy blazer, best to pair it with a gray, shades of brown/tan
post #31630 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R. View Post


Price/Quality will be nowhere as good as ToJ, and I completely see why the shoulder straps were left off the ToJ model. Still, decent alternative.

the details on the toj version are much nicer. Unless it gets made someday, I'll live without one.

post #31631 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Yeah, jeans don't really do navy lamb justice. Like a navy blazer, best to pair it with a gray, shades of brown/tan

I would agree with you, but I do not think it looks bad per se either. If you are entertaining suggestions for your QDR, you might try the olive calf. It is friggin amazing, easily my favorite of the leathers. I have it as a collared moto, but I think it looks especially good as a MDR/DR. I might even venture to say it's better than the black lamb peepwall[1].gif
post #31632 of 41841

 

last winter.

post #31633 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

I would agree with you, but I do not think it looks bad per se either. If you are entertaining suggestions for your QDR, you might try the olive calf. It is friggin amazing, easily my favorite of the leathers. I have it as a collared moto, but I think it looks especially good as a MDR/DR. I might even venture to say it's better than the black lamb peepwall[1].gif

Interesting. I was actually thinking about getting the QDR in olive lamb but I already have an MDR in brown lamb and thought that olive might be too close to brown. Do you have a color accurate picture of your olive moto?
post #31634 of 41841

Someone with tons of swag needs to order a 2013 double rider in oxblood calf.  It'll be similar to this Balmain except a hell of a lot better and like a quarter of the price. http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/4655581/width/900/height/900/flags/LL

post #31635 of 41841
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Interesting. I was actually thinking about getting the QDR in olive lamb but I already have an MDR in brown lamb and thought that olive might be too close to brown. Do you have a color accurate picture of your olive moto?

Well, they admittedly probably both fill the same role in a wardrobe. That said, I have a jacket in brown lamb and a jacket in olive calf, just because I wear more brown than black and wanted a tougher jacket. It's hard to capture the color of the olive calf in photos, I have looked at most of them in the gallery and they vary quite a bit. I am inclined to say that these are the most accurate:





Trying my best with my own jacket:




It's like a medium brown with a touch of green to it. I actually think my pictures are pretty darn close (at least on my monitor), but as you look at it from a further distance, it starts to look more like the 2nd picture shown. It's definitely not as dark as the olive lamb, at least from what I gather from the pictures.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011