or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 1923

post #28831 of 40816

I'd like to do some bag things...

post #28832 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES View Post

What aspect is not your style?

There's no long coat in the outfit, obviously lol.
post #28833 of 40816
Pretty sure this question hasnt received an answer in the thread, but are the obviously wider cuff openings on some of the rider jackets a new aesthetic /design change thing,or was it something that one of the sewers has been doing on their own?

Just wanna know if this is a design/aesthetic change thats being applied to all jackets, because I sized my 2010DR sleeves to be slightly longer than the ideal length so that itd have the same cool very minor stacking effect my MDR has. When I received it, i noticed that the cuff openin on my 2010DR too wide to do this. If this is the new norm, i'll size my sleeves a little shorter on the bcdr. laugh.gif
Edited by omgcookielol - 3/16/13 at 11:06pm
post #28834 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcookielol View Post

Pretty sure this question hasnt received an answer in the thread, but are the obviously wider cuff openings on some of the rider jackets a new aesthetic /design change thing,or was it something that one of the sewers has been doing on their own?

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Charly is the one who ends up choosing it anyway
 
 
ask Charly? 
post #28835 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

ask Charly? 
I posted in the thread because I was asking about a possible design change that (to my knowledge) wasnt announced in the thread. It has been seen on some fits (like AKang's MDR) and referenced in some posts from people who received their jackets after the summer cut-off batch was finished (I think). I don't think I'm the only person who was confused with the change, and I think that if the change was intentional, then people who follow the thread, check the gallery, or have had previous experience with the jackets will have more insight when sizing their next jacket, and wont rely on old information.
Edited by omgcookielol - 3/16/13 at 11:38pm
post #28836 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcookielol View Post

I posted in the thread because I was asking about a possible design change that (to my knowledge) wasnt announced in the thread. It has been seen on some fits (like AKang's MDR) and referenced in some posts from people who received their jackets after the summer cut-off batch was finished (I think). I don't think I'm the only person who was confused with the change, and I think that if the change was intentional, then people who follow the thread, check the gallery, or have had previous experience with the jackets will have more insight when sizing their next jacket, and wont rely on old information.

From what I understand, the tailor began cutting the garments differently. My jacket came out with some pretty huge cuffs too and I ordered last summer as well (when they were first gonna do the cut-offs). I was pretty baffled when I got my jacket in the mail and the cuffs were an inch bigger than my last jacket. I still don't know what to make of it, but it was upsetting. I'm just ordering super small cuffs at this point. There should have been a notice because I didn't know it would turn out so different especially since I used the same measurements from the last order.
post #28837 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartbaeklv View Post

From what I understand, the tailor began cutting the garments differently. My jacket came out with some pretty huge cuffs too and I ordered last summer as well (when they were first gonna do the cut-offs). I was pretty baffled when I got my jacket in the mail and the cuffs were an inch bigger than my last jacket. I still don't know what to make of it, but it was upsetting. I'm just ordering super small cuffs at this point. There should have been a notice because I didn't know it would turn out so different especially since I used the same measurements from the last order.

Which jackets, pre and post cutoff, are you referring to?
post #28838 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycxandy View Post

Which jackets, pre and post cutoff, are you referring to?

Wide cuffs ordered at August 2012 post cut-off (Moto)
Normal cuffs ordered in May 2012 pre cut-off (MDR)
post #28839 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartbaeklv View Post

From what I understand, the tailor began cutting the garments differently. My jacket came out with some pretty huge cuffs too and I ordered last summer as well (when they were first gonna do the cut-offs). I was pretty baffled when I got my jacket in the mail and the cuffs were an inch bigger than my last jacket. I still don't know what to make of it, but it was upsetting. I'm just ordering super small cuffs at this point. There should have been a notice because I didn't know it would turn out so different especially since I used the same measurements from the last order.
Was the bolded part something that someone within ToJ told you? If so, was it something the tailor decided to do on their own, or was it due to a design change? I felt bad for the people whose MDR/moto was affected, because having the opening altered would mean disrupting the single piece of leather covering most of the cuff, which is a really nice detail. Changing this on my 2010DR (the only rider I own affected by this) won't be a big deal since it doesn't interrupt or change the look of that part of the jacket, but I'd still like to know if this is a change that will be part of the house cut from now on.
post #28840 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcookielol View Post

Was the bolded part something that someone within ToJ told you? If so, was it something the tailor decided to do on their own, or was it due to a design change? I felt bad for the people whose MDR/moto was affected, because having the opening altered would mean disrupting the single piece of leather covering most of the cuff, which is a really nice detail. Changing this on my 2010DR (the only rider I own affected by this) won't be a big deal since it doesn't interrupt or change the look of that part of the jacket, but I'd still like to know if this is a change that will be part of the house cut from now on.

Not quite. With my MDR order (pre cut-off) the tailor went with his "gut" and made a "spot decision" which led the cuffs being smaller than normal. My Moto order (post cut-off) was apparently made according to the measurements this time around (same measurements for my MDR pre cut-off) which led the cuffs being normal.
That's the gist of the conversation between me, Charly and Dan.

I already emailed them about this issue and Dan said he would inform their jacket maker. Unfortunately, I sent my jacket in for them to redo the cuffs, but I had to pay for shipping both ways since they said the cuff measurements are correct. Dan and I measured the cuffs differently, but I still don't see how there can be a huge difference in measurements. Regardless even with them slimming the cuffs an inch, it's still too big. At this point, I'm leaving it alone because it would cost too much money to have my tailor slim down the cuffs and break up the single leather piece.

The bigger issue is though is that had I known before that my MDR's cuffs were smaller than normal then I would have requested smaller measurements (which makes my first order incorrectly made then). I wasn't aware of that so I went with the same measurements. Dan and Charly are awesome guys, but this situation is one helluva mess.

I'm left with an awesome leather jacket that still has humongous cuffs and $70 spent on shipping that solved nothing.
Again nothing on the ToJ team because you guys are awesome, and I don't know if anyone here can understand how I feel but this cuff issue is extremely frustrating.
Edited by sartbaeklv - 3/17/13 at 1:13am
post #28841 of 40816
Thread Starter 
If you wrap the tape around the cuff and measure, it should come out right. I think previously he was making them too small and we just never really noticed as the fits were pretty good. You guys forget that people's wrists are all different by quite a large margin, comparatively. I have tiny wrists at like 5.5" around or something but wear a 5.3"ish cuff in TOJ. I like for my watch and bracelets to be able to move easily, and for a hoodie to fit under if I get cold.
post #28842 of 40816
I'm sorry to hear that, man. confused.gif Thanks for sharing though. I'll keep all of what you said in mind when I'm submitting measurements for my next jacket, since I would prefer that it fit like my MDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

If you wrap the tape around the cuff and measure, it should come out right. I think previously he was making them too small and we just never really noticed as the fits were pretty good. You guys forget that people's wrists are all different by quite a large margin, comparatively. I have tiny wrists at like 5.5" around or something but wear a 5.3"ish cuff in TOJ. I like for my watch and bracelets to be able to move easily, and for a hoodie to fit under if I get cold.
With the 2010DR, I had a feeling that the fit and silhouette of the jacket I received might have been the intended one (I acknowledged that I was comparing a jacket desiged in 2010 with one that came out in 2011) and that other people had sized their sleeves to be shorter and tighter. I remembered reading a post from another user that older jackets like the 2010DR may have been influenced by the older 5zip cut. I definitely saw this in the shape of the sleeves and the wide opening of the cuffs, but I wanted to ask before making that assumption.Thanks for clearing this up and shedding some light on the situation though. satisfied.gif
Edited by omgcookielol - 3/17/13 at 1:26am
post #28843 of 40816
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

If you wrap the tape around the cuff and measure, it should come out right. I think previously he was making them too small and we just never really noticed as the fits were pretty good. You guys forget that people's wrists are all different by quite a large margin, comparatively. I have tiny wrists at like 5.5" around or something but wear a 5.3"ish cuff in TOJ. I like for my watch and bracelets to be able to move easily, and for a hoodie to fit under if I get cold.

Dam man your wrists are 5.5"? Mines around 5.75". My MDR's cuffs measures out to be like 5". I actually sent a video to Charly of me measuring the new cuff on my moto, but he said Dan measures it a bit different. I'm just paranoid that the cuffs might come out big again on my next order (that diesel blue bcdr) that I requested it to be 4.5". Rationale being that I can just unzip the cuffs a bit if its too snug. After I got my moto back from Charly the new cuffs measure out to be 5.5"... Oh well, I guess I'll just embrace the loose cuffs and buy a Seiko submariner or something to fill the void.
post #28844 of 40816
you guys got me stressed with this cuff-talk frown.gif god dammit jacket why wont you arrive #team10weeks
post #28845 of 40816
it'll be a good thing when mtm disappears as these kind of issues will disappear for both the toj team and for us. its hard to be complacent with an article of clothing you know could be taken an inch here, there etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011