or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 1826

post #27376 of 42227
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

fwiw, I'd love to be able to make more stuff at the lower price points - problem is, it's easier to increase more to the content relative to price, so the leather jackets are the better position. If people were willing to understand that it requires making preset stock sizes and using a factory instead of the one by one model - then there are things that can be made (not leathers, but other jackets and small fun things) and sold at the lower price points. They're obviously not going to be bad-fitting, but they won't fit all, naturally.
everyone always like to see lower price points, but with two TOJs in my closet, amongst many other jackets, i can't say I'm anything less than extremely satisfied. i don't feel as if long term they are that expensive because they are not exactly trendy, but rather something that for 800$ fits perfect, and ill wear for a long time. already planning my 3rd purchase, just a matter of what which is a great problem to have with a brand
post #27377 of 42227
I can see why you want to drop the m2m thing, death by a thousand cuts, I would probably hang myself after a day of reading the emails.........but if you offer 44-46-48-50-52 in regular and long sizes in everything (leathers, wool jackets, etc), that will probably fulfill the needs of about 95% of the people here who are interested and substantially reduce the hassle.

just spitballing here; you have more data and think about it 24-7, or maybe 10-6
post #27378 of 42227

Why can't the two co-exist?
 

M2M for full leathers and then the factory for lower priced items that are high in demand, ie varsities/TOJ1s/other jackets/etc?

post #27379 of 42227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post

I can see why you want to drop the m2m thing, death by a thousand cuts, I would probably hang myself after a day of reading the emails.........but if you offer 44-46-48-50-52 in regular and long sizes in everything (leathers, wool jackets, etc), that will probably fulfill the needs of about 95% of the people here who are interested and substantially reduce the hassle.

just spitballing here; you have more data and think about it 24-7, or maybe 10-6

Oh, you're completely right - and unfortunately that's how every other clothing brand works. I say it's unfortunate because the other 5% are mostly people who genuinely need a size that isn't offered, usually due to height (short/tall) and they deserve nice clothes like anybody else. There are a number of guys who are like 6'4+ who buy from us and it's really a great relationship, I wish more guys in the same boat knew about TOJ. I suppose many very tall guys have just given up on clothes altogether from the outset because of sizing issues. TOJ sizing, if it were to be partitioned by standard sizing, would still be a little unique - we have a ton of sizing data and have sized all kinds of people, and if we had to assign sizes, the look would be slim but size down the median, which is often different from how other brands grade their sizes. We just get a lot of people in between TOJ 46-50, but in reality that spread is more like a smallish Small to a larger Medium. There's like 1.5-2 size choices where other brands would have one.
post #27380 of 42227
I like to think I made good use of MTM, my limited experience with stock sizes from B&S has not been the best
post #27381 of 42227
I love your drive to give coats their own space in your collection and hope that comes into fruition. Luxe wools you mention is going above and beyond
post #27382 of 42227

TOJ offering coats in the future would be dope icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

Always wanted an overcoat but most of the better makers of it charge like $2000+ 

post #27383 of 42227
Something something "what if it touches water, will it disintegrate / does it come in nylon" ?

Really though, excited for all upcoming stuff leather or wool.
post #27384 of 42227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

TOJ offering coats in the future would be dope icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


Always wanted an overcoat but most of the better makers of it charge like $2000+ 

well, the really good fabric is not cheap. I am not gonna make $2000 coats, but the fabric is not cheap.
post #27385 of 42227
Just wanna say that if more wool coats are in the making, and more ToJ for teh lady-types is in the making, it could be a wondrous thing if ever the twain shall meet. nod[1].gif
post #27386 of 42227

Can't wait to pick up a real coat next FW biggrin.gif

post #27387 of 42227
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

fwiw, I'd love to be able to make more stuff at the lower price points - problem is, it's easier to increase more to the content relative to price, so the leather jackets are the better position. If people were willing to understand that it requires making preset stock sizes and using a factory instead of the one by one model - then there are things that can be made (not leathers, but other jackets and small fun things) and sold at the lower price points. They're obviously not going to be bad-fitting, but they won't fit all, naturally.

I think your pricing is completely reasonable for a MTM leather jacket. Hell I've bought two of them so far and I know they are going to last me my entire life and be an item that I will pass down.

You take a look at these designer leathers and for one, the quality is garbage, and two they are over double your price.

TOJ offers an amazing product at a very competitive price, hence the penetration you've made over the past year or so.

Whoever is complaining or making remarks that you are too expensive clearly has not bought a TOJ piece yet.
post #27388 of 42227
stock sizes would really allow you take advantage of drunk impulse buyers, like myself. So, maybe don't do them.
post #27389 of 42227
Quote:
Originally Posted by halisray View Post


I think your pricing is completely reasonable for a MTM leather jacket. Hell I've bought two of them so far and I know they are going to last me my entire life and be an item that I will pass down.

You take a look at these designer leathers and for one, the quality is garbage, and two they are over double your price.

TOJ offers an amazing product at a very competitive price, hence the penetration you've made over the past year or so.

Whoever is complaining or making remarks that you are too expensive clearly has not bought a TOJ piece yet.


I don't think you can really compare pricing for designers compared to ToJ leathers though.

 

Designers have to pay a boatload of staff, rent + utilities for retail premises, marketing budget, retail outlet markup, etc, etc. That's a massive overhead that has to be added to the cost, let alone just increasing the price due to brand cachet.

 

It's really an apples and oranges thing. ToJ is ToJ, and they're operating in a completely different manner to most other retailers.

 

I'd love to see stock sizes on some items though, $380 for a stock sized varsity or whatever would be a no-brainer for me.

post #27390 of 42227
Quote:
Originally Posted by halisray View Post


I think your pricing is completely reasonable for a MTM leather jacket. Hell I've bought two of them so far and I know they are going to last me my entire life and be an item that I will pass down.

You take a look at these designer leathers and for one, the quality is garbage, and two they are over double your price.

TOJ offers an amazing product at a very competitive price, hence the penetration you've made over the past year or so.

Whoever is complaining or making remarks that you are too expensive clearly has not bought a TOJ piece yet.


I don't think you can really compare pricing for designers compared to ToJ leathers though.

 

Designers have to pay a boatload of staff, rent + utilities for retail premises, marketing budget, retail outlet markup, etc, etc. That's a massive overhead that has to be added to the cost, let alone just increasing the price due to brand cachet.

 

It's really an apples and oranges thing. ToJ is ToJ, and they're operating in a completely different manner to most other retailers.

 

I'd love to see stock sizes on some items though, $380 for a stock sized varsity or whatever would be a no-brainer for me, even if I need to drop another $100 in tailoring.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011