or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 1746

post #26176 of 39309
did anyone ever end up picking up a powder blue T1/T3? trying to get a more accurate idea of the color... been thinking it'd be a similar shade to snowman's old raf leather:

post #26177 of 39309
About the pockets, I wanted to actually have them hidden and open from the side of the body. Kind of like a peacoat where you have the top pockets as a hand warmer (?) but placed lower essentially so that your elbows are not protruding outwards / more natural. For utility I also thought perhaps the pockets could be deeper. So, perhaps that would solve the need for too many pockets keeping with the minimalist design and at the same time allow for enough carrying space.

My intentions was not really a suit jacket but more of a topcoat. I think the real problem was conveying the pocket placement, which you have always played around with from iteration to iteration. I also mentioned changing up the collar so perhaps it can skew further from being a tailored piece. I also woke up this morning thinking perhaps a shawl collar with a removable fur lining like you had on some of your leathers. Like I said the basis is taken from both the peacoat and chesterfield design but rather than refining what is I am sort of giving a shotty attempt at recreating something new from scratch. Another example is this, and a design that I saw last night on another coat, is single vent in the back as well as side vents on the body.

A lot of what I have in mind when putting the sketches together though is sort of counter to what you are creating as I am taking away many details like buttons and pockets in terms of their reveal. I will think more on this, and in the meantime a redux on the chesterfield would not be a bad idea as I am sure with your knowledge now you could refine it more to your liking. AFL's photo in the album really sells it well IMO, and it is just a stock XS surprising enough...no tailoring or customization.
post #26178 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmaged View Post

did anyone ever end up picking up a powder blue T1/T3? trying to get a more accurate idea of the color... been thinking it'd be a similar shade to snowman's old raf leather:

It's what I was thinking of getting as my next TOJ order
post #26179 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpberto View Post

It's what I was thinking of getting as my next TOJ order

do it. we can be muted sky blue buddies fistbump.gif
post #26180 of 39309

is that like eskimo brothers

post #26181 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

is that like eskimo brothers

u gross man
post #26182 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

About the pockets, I wanted to actually have them hidden and open from the side of the body. Kind of like a peacoat where you have the top pockets as a hand warmer (?) but placed lower essentially so that your elbows are not protruding outwards / more natural. For utility I also thought perhaps the pockets could be deeper. So, perhaps that would solve the need for too many pockets keeping with the minimalist design and at the same time allow for enough carrying space.
My intentions was not really a suit jacket but more of a topcoat. I think the real problem was conveying the pocket placement, which you have always played around with from iteration to iteration. I also mentioned changing up the collar so perhaps it can skew further from being a tailored piece. I also woke up this morning thinking perhaps a shawl collar with a removable fur lining like you had on some of your leathers. Like I said the basis is taken from both the peacoat and chesterfield design but rather than refining what is I am sort of giving a shotty attempt at recreating something new from scratch. Another example is this, and a design that I saw last night on another coat, is single vent in the back as well as side vents on the body.
A lot of what I have in mind when putting the sketches together though is sort of counter to what you are creating as I am taking away many details like buttons and pockets in terms of their reveal. I will think more on this, and in the meantime a redux on the chesterfield would not be a bad idea as I am sure with your knowledge now you could refine it more to your liking. AFL's photo in the album really sells it well IMO, and it is just a stock XS surprising enough...no tailoring or customization.

I think a peak lapel on the chesterfield would look quite nice. When the collar is popped up it never quite made sense to me for it to be a notch or shawl since it doesn't really cover much. I do like gettoasty's suggestion with the removable shearling collar though but not the vents idea unless you wanted a tailcoat just stick with a single back vent.

When gettoasty was talking about the pocket placement it reminded me of this topcoat from Lanvin had this past F/W season.



Although the pocket placement is a bit high you could just lower them amongst other things.
post #26183 of 39309
I really like what Attachment does with its more formal wool coats/blazers by throwing in the front darts that start around midchest and end around the pockets. Gives it a nice subtle modern twist
post #26184 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartbaeklv View Post

I think a peak lapel on the chesterfield would look quite nice. When the collar is popped up it never quite made sense to me for it to be a notch or shawl since it doesn't really cover much. I do like gettoasty's suggestion with the removable shearling collar though but not the vents idea unless you wanted a tailcoat just stick with a single back vent.
When gettoasty was talking about the pocket placement it reminded me of this topcoat from Lanvin had this past F/W season.

Although the pocket placement is a bit high you could just lower them amongst other things.
This is awful.
post #26185 of 39309
I keep telling you guys...moleskin top coat.



Wind-proof, old school british style, durable fabric, ease of cotton, what's not to like?
post #26186 of 39309
Also, detachable liner inside a formal coat would be cool...not sure how to convey exactly what I'm thinking...

EDIT: Or just detachable liners/vests in general. It's a twofer!
post #26187 of 39309
You're thinking Acne F/W 2012.
post #26188 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

I really like what Attachment does with its more formal wool coats/blazers by throwing in the front darts that start around midchest and end around the pockets. Gives it a nice subtle modern twist

I like this too, but it's obviously a signature detail. Don't think Drew would be willing to do that for the same reasons he won't do a 5-zip. Any kind of slanted pocket would be fine.
post #26189 of 39309
Just have a chesterfield redux, IMO, but with a more refined look i.e. I would rather see hidden button sleeve cuffs or something like sleeves of the leathers that have a bit of flare but can be minimized with the functioning zipper.

I actually do not mind the pockets on the TOJ chesterfield, and any more pockets would make it too formal. The 3 button front is actually something I would not mind as well since I rarely find the need to button up coats and tend to layer appropriately for heat insulation in the cold. Forget the shawl collar.

As I said this looks pretty rad
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3825&g2_serialNumber=1

Sleeve flare
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3064&g2_serialNumber=2

And this was the coat I was trying to incorporate but I figure the two are too different
http://www.ln-cc.com/invt/tha0110003caf


I think the biggest change would be fabric choice as seeing this photo makes me wonder how well it actually drapes. Seems like the coat works for slim builds rather than fuller body types, and with the JC and no customization I wonder how accommodations can be made. (I realize the denim + Clarks and plaid shirt maybe throwing the fit off (5))

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3687&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3693&g2_serialNumber=3
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3690&g2_serialNumber=3

I think the camel coat fits quite well and curious how it has aged; etc.
post #26190 of 39309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmaged View Post

do it. we can be muted sky blue buddies fistbump.gif

Hehe yeah I'm actually liking the idea, I like the lighter muted colors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011