or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 1454

post #21796 of 40820
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

If you ever care to consult on MC attire or just suiting in general including: suit, PS, tie, shirt, shoe and other misc. things from choice of color to fabric and cut, I would be interested.
As someone who understands SW&D pretty well and also knows what he wants from the MC side of the wardrobe, I'd be very open-minded to learn a few things and even buy your "services".
Every time you mention anything proper like an OCBD my mind starts dreaming of things. I dig your MC interpretation.
just an fyi i guess
ct6U3.jpg
post #21797 of 40820
^ I usually love a good Willy pic/gif, but I can't figure out what the caption to that expression should read, or if there's context behind the photo I should know.

Too much staring at lymph nodes/talking to people on MC I suppose.
post #21798 of 40820
Thread Starter 
Well, I don't consider myself to have much mastery of MC's finest rules or anything, I just wear what I like, regardless of genre. To the point though, I have just taken a liking to those Italian dress shirts because as someone who understands how the clothes are made, the difference between a good handmade dress shirt and some machine-made factory run thing is like night and day. Vending machine food vs a full-service dinner. I only lamented that you can't get that kind of construction in a casual oxford you wear with more stuff. Looks off if you try to wear one of those bright Italian dress shirts casually, you'd look like your average Macy's nightclub bro if you do that. We are better than that.
post #21799 of 40820
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

If you ever care to consult on MC attire or just suiting in general including: suit, PS, tie, shirt, shoe and other misc. things from choice of color to fabric and cut, I would be interested.
As someone who understands SW&D pretty well and also knows what he wants from the MC side of the wardrobe, I'd be very open-minded to learn a few things and even buy your "services".
Every time you mention anything proper like an OCBD my mind starts dreaming of things. I dig your MC interpretation.
just an fyi i guess
I was referring to Drew if it was not clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ct6U3.jpg

well Drew I'm still up for it if you ever care to give pointers. perhaps my first vacation should be to Japan and get some MTM suits et al based on your suggestions. SW&D is all fun and that's what it is to me--fun--not to be taken too seriously. MC on the other hand I'd really like learn or at least know what the hell I am doing. Right now just skimming through MC side of the forum and learning visually more than anything else.
Edited by gettoasty - 8/7/12 at 12:59am
post #21800 of 40820
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty 
one of my all-time favorite film franchise

(10)?
post #21801 of 40820
i enjoyed the films.

^in the meantime I'll just see how these OCBD turn out. Just took 8 Uniqlo shirts to the tailor to put in darts similar to how the last TOJ OCBD was. sigh.
post #21802 of 40820
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

i enjoyed the films.
^in the meantime I'll just see how these OCBD turn out. Just took 8 Uniqlo shirts to the tailor to put in darts similar to how the last TOJ OCBD was. sigh.

What did you do about the box pleat? Ordered three uniqlo ocbd and wore one... once. They may be cheap, but it's still not worth it if I won't wear them.
post #21803 of 40820
I'm excited to hear about the resurrection of TOJ shirting. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif I've been looking for decent white&light blue obcds for the past week (trying to phase out the shirts i've worn out) but I think I'll hold off on any planned purchases until I see more about your plans.

Do you have anything in mind for the possible third color option? I'd be very interested in "dark side" of the other two options - like a black, dark olive, or navy obcd with black horn buttons... but that probably isn't the direction that you want to take with this. laugh.gif
post #21804 of 40820
Thread Starter 
I copped some Uniqlos recently too, because I have taken to travelling with just my passport and my iphone - went through a few years where I was lazy and didn't buy myself any new socks or underwear, and i can always use white tees, so when I travel now, I just watch the clock and then show up for my flight without luggage (terrorist style) and then buy Uniqlo at Narita or go to Uniqlo when I get into the middle of Seoul, either works, and just the hotel freebies or go to the convenience store to buy a toothbrush and stuff. I bought some Uniqlo in NY too, lol. I just hate packing and wasting time preparing stuff like that, but when I am on the move I need some clothes asap so I just get anything that works. In fall/winter/spring, I can just buy fresh tees and socks and underwear, and in the summer I do the same or get some of the $20 OCBDs. Sometimes I send a box of dirty clothes home via EMS, lol. As I dirty my clothes I just put them back in the shopping bag and then take it to the post office on the last day on my way out. Super minimalist travel, usually it's for working in Seoul anyway, so I need cheap clothes to wear.

Anyway, with the Uniqlo OCBD's - they're actually better than I ever remembered them to be when I first tried them like 5 or 6 years ago. The sleeves were really short. They're still short, but not as bad as before. I have a problem with shirt sleeve in standard sized shirts coming up about 1/2" -1" short of a perfect fit. APC is the same, most other brands the same. Back to the 'qlo, though- the fit is decent as you'd expect, the fabric is actually not so bad for a $20 ($30? can't remember) shirt, the buttons are cheap as hell, and the construction is average, but I get the feeling it'd last for a long time. Still, that BBBF shirt I have had for awhile has the nicest little single needle seams, and the fabric is pretty nice - it's light but seems to have been pre-treated to give it a calandered sheen (I don't really know what that entails, maybe it's mercerized cotton or something) - as I said, the fit is terrible though, it lets the whole thing down. Need the next level.

Anybody have the TOJ dress shirts we made awhile back? (only made a very small handful of them, kelvin has one or two) - I want to use the same MOP buttons as we used on those. They're really nice, really expensive. They are thicker than even the Italian buttons I have on my dress shirts, but have a significant dish too, they look amazing. We can get them in white or smoke (petrol colored?) but I think we'll stick with the classic white pearl.

Fabric is this:

537538_10100916891693650_1627203102_n.jpg
post #21805 of 40820
Waaaaay too small for me now but I think I still have one of the oxfords. The buttons were ridiculously nice and thick.

TBH they were a bit too thick. Rather annoying to button. But that's ok, ballin ain't easy. (did I really just type that?)

The construction seemed pretty good. I think it was single needle stitched. The fabric was beefy - but not in the super soft, luxurious way, in the heavy-as-fuck oxford way. Which is kinda luxe in its own right I guess. I'm guessing the new fabric is something of the smoothness of the the MC type fabrics mixed with that beefy oxford weave required for casual shirts?

I remember not liking the heavy placket but I think i would change my mind on that nowdays as, like you said, it's not meant to be some super formal MC shirt.
post #21806 of 40820
Definitely want a v2 shirt.
post #21807 of 40820
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I copped some Uniqlos recently too, because I have taken to travelling with just my passport and my iphone - went through a few years where I was lazy and didn't buy myself any new socks or underwear, and i can always use white tees, so when I travel now, I just watch the clock and then show up for my flight without luggage (terrorist style) and then buy Uniqlo at Narita or go to Uniqlo when I get into the middle of Seoul, either works, and just the hotel freebies or go to the convenience store to buy a toothbrush and stuff. I bought some Uniqlo in NY too, lol. I just hate packing and wasting time preparing stuff like that, but when I am on the move I need some clothes asap so I just get anything that works. In fall/winter/spring, I can just buy fresh tees and socks and underwear, and in the summer I do the same or get some of the $20 OCBDs. Sometimes I send a box of dirty clothes home via EMS, lol. As I dirty my clothes I just put them back in the shopping bag and then take it to the post office on the last day on my way out. Super minimalist travel, usually it's for working in Seoul anyway, so I need cheap clothes to wear.

Lol, you are worse than I am, I can usually go 5-10 days with only a Boston bag carry on.

Web checkin and show up 30 min before the flight leaves and go directly to the gate.
post #21808 of 40820
Thread Starter 
yeah this was my 'packing' for my last Korea trip, will be the same on Thursday. (didn't take the computer) - did just fine. I screencap my e-ticket and my accomodation reservations on my iPhone and then show it to people at the counter. Actually, don't even need to when you're on e-tickets, you just hand them your passport and they swipe the bar nowadays, and your flight comes up.

217930_10100981168387640_1618226070_n.jpg
post #21809 of 40820
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Waaaaay too small for me now but I think I still have one of the oxfords. The buttons were ridiculously nice and thick.
TBH they were a bit too thick. Rather annoying to button. But that's ok, ballin ain't easy. (did I really just type that?)
The construction seemed pretty good. I think it was single needle stitched. The fabric was beefy - but not in the super soft, luxurious way, in the heavy-as-fuck oxford way. Which is kinda luxe in its own right I guess. I'm guessing the new fabric is something of the smoothness of the the MC type fabrics mixed with that beefy oxford weave required for casual shirts?
I remember not liking the heavy placket but I think i would change my mind on that nowdays as, like you said, it's not meant to be some super formal MC shirt.

As I recall, you bought a shirt from the sample sale - it was probably a full size too small for you. I'm hoping v1 and v2 don't get compared, because I'm stating right now - there will be no comparison. v2, if successfully made, will trounce v1. I think v1 was a good shirt for $125, the fit was good, and we tried to put in some nice details and buttons, but considering the cost of fabric, labor, and shipping there - there wasn't much room to go beyond what was a standard shirt. If I spend more to get more, I can make a far finer shirt - materials, construction, etc.

Embarrassing story I should relate, and a good motivator for this v2 shirt project - I met up with some guys in LA or NY at some point and one of the guys was wearing a TOJ shirt. He kept looking at me kinda sheepishly and I was like 'nice shirt, who made that?' - didn't realize it was a TOJ at first. That was kinda embarrassing. It was a white oxford, so yeah, but I mean, on one hand, we did some details to differentiate the shirt design - the 2-piece pocket, the 2-piece placket, the super thick shell buttons - but from a glance, I didn't recognize my own design. I am pretty sure with this new v2 design I want to make, if someone sitting before me is wearing one, I (and everyone else eventually) will know exactly what it is. It will be fine and sophisticated, but recognizable for what it is, too. That is a good thing.
post #21810 of 40820

Noice.

Bit creased due to all the shipping but the fit is absolutely perfect. Cheers TOJ.

 

700

700

700

700

 

700

700

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011