or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 952

post #14266 of 39270
goodwill?? ouch

also heard you mentioning chopping off your hair and wearing more suits, interesting

thanks for feeding my curiosity smile.gif
post #14267 of 39270
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist View Post

Am I alone in hating zipped boots?
IMO the ideal boot would be a plain toe lace up, with a small zip on the inner side. 8" shaft, heel something like 1.2". Low-profile combat soles, and a slightly upturned toe. Not PS sleek, but slim enough to look nice with a small hem. Some kind of waxy leather, nubuck, etc. I would buy one in black and one in brown.
Also I really want to see what ToJ glasses would look like.

I love zipped boots, but I'm 100% on board with the rest of what you're saying.

Also, recognition that some of us have painfully high arches would be very, very much appreciated.* smile.gif


* As in, leaving some clearance at the top of the instep before tapering into the toebox. I can add an insole if I need more support in the footbed.
post #14268 of 39270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1445 View Post



tried a 54 in the baseball jacket, had to give it up cause it didn't work. if it comes out again I'll see if MTM ican be negotiated. when my current bomber falls apart I'll look to TOJ. 

+1. AM TOO SWOLE FROM CROSSFIT, BRO. (Hi Chuck!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post

I hope Charly is ready for a crapload of emails with pictures of people's feet. foo.gif

This thread is going to go off the fucking rails in a HURRY.
post #14269 of 39270
lol! didn't see the foot comment. omg i would hate that
that will probably be expected though i think it is fair to say that Drew's sizing would be more than sufficient in helping people size footwear if that comes to be

but that comment is still great.
post #14270 of 39270
If Drew could create ankle boots similar to the MMM side zips that synth has...(the ones in that light brownish color)
post #14271 of 39270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Just out of curiosity, what are you considering "goth-ninja" enough to be outdated? A lot of the shit seems, as we've said, pretty much like a slightly different take on boots, pants, and a leather jacket.

There are gothninja (and don't yakitori me for using that term, I am using it in jest... and after all, the term originated right here on styleforum many years ago) items that will probably endure the test of time better than others, but if you looked at them, you would say they are outliers from their lines or the aesthetic anyway. For example, there are old Rick MA-1's that would be great now and later, there are a few old Julius things here and there that are fun, some of the boots with more natural finishes and not the speckled/blistered/flaming finishes might have some mileage in them.... but there are multiple examples of overdone, over-processed, exaggerated items that are done. Will you want to wear a Rick gradient in 2014 when everybody else is wearing a watered-down white mountaineering'ish look? How about the Julius leather i have - it's awesome quality and all, but the thing looks old in a bad way. That overwashed leather, the excessive zippers and fasteners that don't function - these motifs are done, this black/grey/white/rust deconstructed expensive clothes thing has run its course. It's clearly not in the style vernacular today like it was up til 3 years ago.
post #14272 of 39270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldrake View Post

yea thats what im expecting if not a bit more

+1.

I was thinking along the line of the current leather jacket price, or around $100-200 more for a high quality pair of footwear.

And ToJ doesn't have sales so unlike other brands, you're not going to catch them on Yoox and other similar sites.
post #14273 of 39270
So is it the tacking-on of washes and finishes, mostly? Or the exaggerated shapes? Like, I can picture a Rick Pilot in an unwashed, supple lamb leather and it looks pretty stable in my mind's eye.
post #14274 of 39270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

+1.
I was thinking along the line of the current leather jacket price, or around $100-200 more for a high quality pair of footwear.
And ToJ doesn't have sales so unlike other brands, you're not going to catch them on Yoox and other similar sites.

The TOJ shoes won't have to be $8-900, definitely not. That's a helluva lot of money. But they aren't gonna come in under $300, for sure. Made in Japan costs more than that these days. The maker I'm looking at makes shoes for CDG, among a lot of others, which sell at DSM, Tres Bien Shop, etc. The quality will be good - they just won't be a collaboration double-price/double-name deal that you're used to buying these days.... which is a good thing, IMO.
post #14275 of 39270
VTG side zips or any VTG boots
post #14276 of 39270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

So is it the tacking-on of washes and finishes, mostly? Or the exaggerated shapes? Like, I can picture a Rick Pilot in an unwashed, supple lamb leather and it looks pretty stable in my mind's eye.

well, both - but that is exactly what fashion design is, constant remixing. We might invent new fabrics here and there, but the technologies are mostly the same as they have been for hundreds of years - take needle and thread to cloth, sew to keep form - and not only that, we demand old-fashioned style clothes that keep us in the same brackets of technology. Sure, there are automation innovations, and new methods of workflow, material processing, etc, but clothing in your hands - it's just part of the spinning world and the fleeting scents that we get occasionally, time and time again. Much like there is no OneFood and you will not want to eat the same dessert at every meal for the rest of your life, change in clothing is much the same....
post #14277 of 39270
Thread Starter 
Whatever this recession has created, there are some good things, IMO - the monochrome expensive clothes thing is being replaced by expensive outdoors/work/trad/etc clothing, but the bar for quality just rose immensely with the latter style. The .8mm Rick lambskin jackets and slik/cotton tees, the crepe-soled Dunks, you guys don't even need to worry about the style of those things lasting, because the items won't. This new-age Americana shit though, the quality is pretty fucking good if you pay for it, you can wear that stuff hard and not worry so much. It'll be there in a few years probably.

I don't have a hard-on for all-out Americana so much, but I admire the quality and the revival of craftsmanship at that level and interest at this big of a level. I have a dream board of sorts that I'm putting items I want to make on, and the shoes are on there now, the sunglasses are on there. etc.
post #14278 of 39270
Footwear sounds fun! I'd make ToJ sidezips my shoe purchase of 2012.
post #14279 of 39270
Long overdue pics of quilted DR in dark royal blue calf:

qmdr01.jpg

qmdr02.jpg

qmdr03.jpg

qmdr04.jpg

qmdr05.jpg

qmdr06.jpg
post #14280 of 39270
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Whatever this recession has created, there are some good things, IMO - the monochrome expensive clothes thing is being replaced by expensive outdoors/work/trad/etc clothing, but the bar for quality just rose immensely with the latter style. The .8mm Rick lambskin jackets and slik/cotton tees, the crepe-soled Dunks, you guys don't even need to worry about the style of those things lasting, because the items won't. This new-age Americana shit though, the quality is pretty fucking good if you pay for it, you can wear that stuff hard and not worry so much. It'll be there in a few years probably.
I don't have a hard-on for all-out Americana so much, but I admire the quality and the revival of craftsmanship at that level and interest at this big of a level. I have a dream board of sorts that I'm putting items I want to make on, and the shoes are on there now, the sunglasses are on there. etc.


Feit-Hiker-X-Ray-Boot-01.jpeg

thoughts on the hiking boot trend? I felt this was jumping the shark on the americana/hipster-with-a-fancy-axe thing but feit's ox blood version impressed

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011