Well, I bought this tribute to the art of style. It's going back. Note that it cost about $500, shipped. A few observations:
- I'm a 39R, almost a 39S. I bought a 40R, and it's huge. I could take it in a bit, but really it's just cut large. And I'm not large. I thought about trying a 38R, but I don't think I will, for reasons described below. There are other fit issues, but they're specific to me, so I won't bother to explain.
- The pants are fairly slim. I actually like them.
- The sleeve buttonholes are working, which does limit how much you can easily shorten the sleeves. In my case, I would need about an inch off, and there is just barely enough room between the sleeve end and the buttons.
- The facings (is that the word?) are okay, a ribbed black silk. They don't feel great, neither are they terrible. But there are ripples right where the peak takes off from the collar (sorry, I don't know technical terms). I think it makes the whole thing look poorly constructed. It might not show up at an evening function, but it's very noticeable and annoying in daylight.
- Most importantly, the fabric does not feel good. It reminds me of a Today's Man suit I had a few years back. By way of comparison, I have a Calvin Klein suit (youth is wasted on the young, eh?) and it feels much nicer. It feels about like a rental. I would cringe when offering my arm to a lady.
- I also bought the tuxedo shirt. Cost about $60. It's not cut huge, which is a plus, and the fabric is so-so, but the pleats on the front are very low profile. I looked at a BB tuxedo shirt, and the pleats on it practically jumped off the shirt--looked slightly eccentric and cool. (Unfortunately, you could fit two of me in the bb shirt). On the CT shirt, you can barely get your finger between the pleats and the shirt front, if that makes any sense.
I like the shirt okay, but the fabric is not great and there are a million decently constructed tuxedo shirts out there for a similar price, so I think it's going back, as well. The tuxedo isn't worth $500 to me, much less the $1000 that it purports to cost at regular price. I still like CT overall, but I don't like this item very much. Which leaves me still searching for a sb, peaked lapel, ventless tuxedo--it really is hard to find. I'm at the point where I may try that Thailand tailor mentioned in another thread. That would cost about $400, shipped (Mycustomsuit.com, was it?), but who knows what I'd get. Alternatively, I may have chan make me one. It'd be worth it if I love it and wear it for 5-10 years, right? Someone help me rationalize this...