• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Securing vest to trousers

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I saw some blog entries (can't remember which blog) chronicling the author's experience bespeaking a three-piece suit in Spain (I believe). The tailor included buttons to secure the vest to the trouser top, thereby preventing the dreaded shirt-revealing gap.

This seems like a very good idea to me. I have a three-piece that allows some shirt to sneak through over the course of the day and I was thinking of having buttons added to prevent that.

• Has anyone done this?
  • How did it work?
  • How many buttons are used and where are they placed?
  • Do either the trousers or vest need to be cut to specifically accommodate this bit of engineering?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
A few months ago I saw some blog entries (can't remember which blog) chronicling the author's experience bespeaking a three-piece suit in Spain (I believe). The tailor included buttons to secure the vest to the trouser top, thereby preventing the dreaded shirt-revealing gap.

This seems like a very good idea to me. I have a three-piece that allows some shirt to sneak through over the course of the day and I was thinking of having buttons added to prevent that.

• Has anyone done this?
  • How did it work?
  • How many buttons are used and where are they placed?
  • Do either the trousers or vest need to be cut to specifically accommodate this bit of engineering?

4 buttons would be enough. but you must decide where to place the buttonholes, vest or trouser.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
4 buttons would be enough. but you must decide where to place the buttonholes, vest or trouser.

I had assumed on the inside of the vest, so that it would remained overlapped against the outside of the trouser waist band. I was going to have the tailor use shirt buttons and simple loops rather than regular button holes.

A tailor - would doing this potentially limit my mobility (ability to lean over) since there is only a modest level of overlap to begin with?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I never have the shirt gap problem when I'm wearing trousers with braces/suspenders. Would that be a better solution?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I never have the shirt gap problem when I'm wearing trousers with braces/suspenders. Would that be a better solution?

My shoulders slope too much to comforatably wear braces. The straps slide down my shoulders, and - if I'm wearing a vest - peek out of the vest, which creates an aesthetic problem of its own.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoulders slope too much to comforatably wear braces. The straps slide down my shoulders, and - if I'm wearing a vest - peek out of the vest, which creates an aesthetic problem of its own.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...in-madrid.html

Found the entry, it was on ASW. THis indicates that they only used two tabs. I would think a tailor's idea for four would work better, though. Need at least one in the back, I'd think.

Matt S

Reaction score
You can see an example of this posted on Black Tie Guide for a white tie waistcoat. And I would assume that this is used in conjunction with braces. The button tab just serves as extra safety.
white20tie2003sweetened.jpg

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

This fastening point is exactly what I was thinking instead of "real" buttonholes. Thanks for the pic.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had assumed on the inside of the vest, so that it would remained overlapped against the outside of the trouser waist band. I was going to have the tailor use shirt buttons and simple loops rather than regular button holes.

A tailor - would doing this potentially limit my mobility (ability to lean over) since there is only a modest level of overlap to begin with?

4 loops and buttons would be cheaper than buttonholes.
it will pull when you bend and sit. but elastic loops will make it more comfortable.
give it a try. the loops and buttons can be easily removed.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
4 loops and buttons would be cheaper than buttonholes.
it will pull when you bend and sit. but elastic loops will make it more comfortable.
give it a try. the loops and buttons can be easily removed.

Yes, I think I'll do this. Is there any type of elastic webbing I should look for? I will want something super strong...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads