or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ebay Find Question and Subforum Suggestion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ebay Find Question and Subforum Suggestion

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
In the grand tradition of asking for advice before making a bid, what do you folks think of the following jacket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

My eye isn't quite trained to tell the difference between an orphaned suit jacket a standalone blazer or the vintage of either.

What would be a good pants/shirt combo. From my reading in the forum charcoal is more versatile than black.

I would also like to suggest a sub-forum for those like myself who are asking for Ebay pre-purchase advice.

Thanks!
post #2 of 16
I think it's a great deal for that price, if the measurements look right. It's not an orphaned suit coat.

WRT your suggestion, I think you will get more traffic and advice on your ebay questions by posting them in the clothing forum than you would if it were a separate forum (which many would ignore), and this sort of threads often provoke interesting discussion anyway.
post #3 of 16
The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC
The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.
?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?

yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.

I'm not sure I'd apply this rule of thumb to items on eBay. It seems a relatively recent development.
post #7 of 16
I think the brass buttons give it away.

Anyway, in the case of newer garments, suit jackets overwhelmingly have 4 sleeve buttons while three-buttoned jackets are usually odd jackets. But yeah, no guarantees.
post #8 of 16
Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?
post #9 of 16
I don't know if he meant it has buttons from a Z Zegna suit - more likely they are buttons that have a Z on them.
post #10 of 16
What do you guys think of this Armani blazer (i.e. how much should I bid)? Thanks.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.
That's news to me. Didn't know that. Interestingly, 2 of my 3 suits have 3 sleeve buttons, and 2 of my most recent sports jacket purchases (a Kiton and a Brioni) each have 4.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiz
What do you guys think of this Armani blazer (i.e. how much should I bid)? Thanks.

That's way too expensive at its current price. It's Mani, which is a crappy diffusion line of Armani.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?

They're not Z Zegna buttons. That is the old Ermenegildo Zegna logo you can still see on some older items (some sweaters used to have the Z embroidered on the chest).
post #14 of 16
When would you guys date this jacket as being made, early/mid 90s?
post #15 of 16
Yeah, sometime 90s, but aside from the button spacing (which is no big deal for 99% of observers) it doesn't look too dated to my eye. Reasonably classic cut.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ebay Find Question and Subforum Suggestion