or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
It's just a matter of personal preference. I think that good style is the successful combination of practicality and fashion, so I only go sockless when it's warm outside. To me, going sockless in warm weather makes it look like you're trying too hard, because it's incredibly obvious that you're sacrificing practicality for fashion. When you do go sockless, though, loafer socks are a good way to keep your shoes from smelling badly after a while.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Loafer socks are a very good alternative to going sockless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
Can you please post images of such ads? Are you sure you were not drowsy with the fumes of Bacchus or worse while viewing these advertisements?
Sure, here are two pictures showing people dressed for cold weather (sweater and coat) wearing shoes with no socks. Granted these aren't boat shoes, they are still shoes with no socks. This picture might not be sub-freezing but cold enough for a sweater and jacket: This person in this picture is wearing a heavy toggle coat which implies it is very cold outside, yet he is not wearing socks. As I stated earlier, I know these two examples are not wearing boat shoes but it is the same idea in my mind. Why did you even bother posting here? You are no help to me, or anyone else who might possibly have the same thoughts about my original question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidawg View Post
Lurk moar noob.
If there is an obvious answer on this forum, and you are an experienced SF user, why not help out the community and provide me with either a simple answer, or a link to where I could find the answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
Please don't start anymore threads.
What is the last thread you started that helped someone? I think the point of this forum is to help encourage people to have a better sense of style. If a 'noob' comes into this forum asking question because he doesn't know the answer, why not help him out instead of posting useless information? IF you don't know the answer, which I assume you don't, you should not be posting. Are you trying to get your post count up so you seem more knowledgable? I don't see why else you would post something that has absolutely no relevance what so ever. Because of this, you sir, are a 'noob'. You should learn to use the forums and understand the dynamic of public forums before putting anyone down, especially someone who is a 'noob' to this forum.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Loafer socks are a very good alternative to going sockless.



Sure, here are two pictures showing people dressed for cold weather (sweater and coat) wearing shoes with no socks. Granted these aren't boat shoes, they are still shoes with no socks.

This picture might not be sub-freezing but cold enough for a sweater and jacket:


This person in this picture is wearing a heavy toggle coat which implies it is very cold outside, yet he is not wearing socks.


As I stated earlier, I know these two examples are not wearing boat shoes but it is the same idea in my mind.

Why did you even bother posting here? You are no help to me, or anyone else who might possibly have the same thoughts about my original question.



If there is an obvious answer on this forum, and you are an experienced SF user, why not help out the community and provide me with either a simple answer, or a link to where I could find the answer?



What is the last thread you started that helped someone? I think the point of this forum is to help encourage people to have a better sense of style. If a 'noob' comes into this forum asking question because he doesn't know the answer, why not help him out instead of posting useless information? IF you don't know the answer, which I assume you don't, you should not be posting.

Are you trying to get your post count up so you seem more knowledgable? I don't see why else you would post something that has absolutely no relevance what so ever.

Because of this, you sir, are a 'noob'. You should learn to use the forums and understand the dynamic of public forums before putting anyone down, especially someone who is a 'noob' to this forum.

TL, DR.
post #18 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidawg View Post
TL, DR.

No reason for you to read all of it.

In response to your other post, I asked you:

If there is an obvious answer on this forum, and you are an experienced SF user, why not help out the community and provide me with either a simple answer, or a link to where I could find the answer?
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
No reason for you to read all of it.

In response to your other post, I asked you:

If there is an obvious answer on this forum, and you are an experienced SF user, why not help out the community and provide me with either a simple answer, or a link to where I could find the answer?

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=boat+shoes

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=boat+shoes

Now go away.
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanks buddy. I hope next time you feel like you absolutely must say something 'witty' in a thread you don't like, you provide some kind of information instead of acting like a twelve year old girl and starting online drama.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
Please don't start anymore threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo View Post
+ 1 fucking million.


+1
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Why did you even bother posting here? You are no help to me, or anyone else who might possibly have the same thoughts about my original question.
I apologize if my reply to your post somehow did not serve its purpose. I thought the original post was about wearing Sperry Topsiders in a Manhattan winter. I have never seen this, and my opinion is that it cannot be very healthy either, given all the flu going around. THat is all I wished to convey. But if you are in Manhattan--I am sure you know better than me--there are exceptions to the rule. I'm sure you've seen the Naked Cowboy in the dead of a NYC winter..... Best wishes.
post #23 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
I apologize if my reply to your post somehow did not serve its purpose.

I thought the original post was about wearing Sperry Topsiders in a Manhattan winter. I have never seen this, and my opinion is that it cannot be very healthy either, given all the flu going around. THat is all I wished to convey.

But if you are in Manhattan--I am sure you know better than me--there are exceptions to the rule. I'm sure you've seen the Naked Cowboy in the dead of a NYC winter.....

Best wishes.

Well, maybe I'm miss understanding something, but what purpose does this statement serve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
Are you sure you were not drowsy with the fumes of Bacchus or worse while viewing these advertisements?

Besides for that, I thank you for a thoughtful response the second time around.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
What is the last thread you started that helped someone? I think the point of this forum is to help encourage people to have a better sense of style. If a 'noob' comes into this forum asking question because he doesn't know the answer, why not help him out instead of posting useless information? IF you don't know the answer, which I assume you don't, you should not be posting. Are you trying to get your post count up so you seem more knowledgable? I don't see why else you would post something that has absolutely no relevance what so ever. Because of this, you sir, are a 'noob'. You should learn to use the forums and understand the dynamic of public forums before putting anyone down, especially someone who is a 'noob' to this forum.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=164402 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280 I addition to the links given to you which already covered boat shoes, there are these threads that cater to noobs(as well as others). Use them. Imagine if every single person started a thread about every fleeting thought they had, on topics that already had threads dedicated to them or discussing them. The quality of this forum would be atrocious.
post #25 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=164402

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280

I addition to the links given to you which already covered boat shoes, there are these threads that cater to noobs(as well as others). Use them.

Imagine if every single person started a thread about every fleeting thought they had, on topics that already had threads dedicated to them or discussing them. The quality of this forum would be atrocious.

I agree 100% with everything you say. I apologize if this forum's search is a little difficult for 'noobs' to use. Instead of bashing me because I couldn't find the previous thread, you could've posted these two threads and said, "you're question is answered in there" or "ask in there." But you had to act like twelve year old fat cyber-bully girl, instead of acting as a mature adult would.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
But you had to act like twelve year old fat cyber-bully girl, instead of acting as a mature adult would.
It's not limited to this forum. All forums work like this. I've also been on numerous car boards and noobs get the same treatment.

When you've been on a particular board for years, you grow tire of seeing the same questions get asked over and over again in form of new threads by you guess it...noobs.
post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
It's not limited to this forum. All forums work like this. I've also been on numerous car boards and noobs get the same treatment.

When you've been on a particular board for years, you grow tire of seeing the same questions get asked over and over again in form of new threads by you guess it...noobs.

Very true. I've been on my car forum since 2006 I believe and I have 3,000+/- posts and when a noob asks something that has been answered, a moderator will see it, send the OP a link to the thread about the topic and close the new thread. As simple as that. Where are the moderators on style forum? Why aren't the people who want the best for this forum stepping up to improve how this place runs?
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Very true. I've been on my car forum since 2006 I believe and I have 3,000+/- posts and when a noob asks something that has been answered, a moderator will see it, send the OP a link to the thread about the topic and close the new thread. As simple as that. Where are the moderators on style forum? Why aren't the people who want the best for this forum stepping up to improve how this place runs?
If you've been on your car forum since '06 then you would know...it changes. Once a car forum is birthed, it is usually good for several years. (Especially true if the car retails for $30k+ because the owners are usually older, and hopefully more mature). Then a couple of years go by, it's time to upgrade and the initial owners leave the board once the car is sold. The once semi expensive cars depreciate, kids buy them as used cars, join the forum, and quality goes down. Same elite attitude applies here. Mediocre brands and mall brands get no love. You aren't doing it unless your sweater is hand knitted and cost over $500 and your jeans are the rarest of all Japanese denim. Just like how replica wheels are hated on car boards and you aren't really doing it unless you got some Japanese wheels or baller American custom made, ie HRE. Of course, I'm exaggerating a bit to make the point obvious, but yeah. There are moderators here, or owners (I believe). I personally don't have a problem with this forum. But again, I don't make new threads like you. I lurked around a bit before joining and find the appropriate threads to post in, ie Temple of Jawnz, Alden.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Well, maybe I'm miss understanding something, but what purpose does this statement serve? Besides for that, I thank you for a thoughtful response the second time around.
The statement had a simple purpose--it was to inquire as to your state of mind when you saw the advertisement you claim to have seen. Since such an advert for Sperry topsiders (or other boat shoes) does not exist, we may assume on of the following: 1. you are lying and making up shit 2. you are misinformed, but innocently so---perhaps inebriated or otherwise incapacitated when you saw the alleged sight 3. you are misinformed, but seriously so and regularly see things which are not real--in which case you would require professional help. My family always taught me to assume someone is always telling the truth unless otherwise provable, so that's 1. out. I am not qualified to judge 3., but others here maybe, so I always steer clear of that one. Which leaves just 2. Hence my inquiry. A perfectly civil and good-intentioned inquiry with absolutely no ill intent.....which has still not been addressed. Best wishes.
post #30 of 34
If you don't want to wear socks, then don't. Why do you need the approval from a bunch of dudes on SF? If you want the best of both worlds, then buy some loafer socks. Problem solved, end thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ