or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
I've searched the forums a little but haven't found anything on the different ways to wear Sperrys. I thought I'd ask a few questions and get everyone's opinions here.

How should I wear Sperry's authentic original leather shoe and they're suede shoe this time of year? Typically I wear both pairs with socks, but I'm seeing pictures online of people wearing these shoes sockless. Is it okay to go sockless in the winter? If I go sockless in the winter should I stick to the suede pair since they seem 'warmer'?

Now in the summer, is it acceptable to wear suede boat shoes with no socks, or is suede more of a winter material?

I'd like to make this thread an 'official' boat shoe thread so if anyone else has any questions about how to properly wear boat shoes, please ask here.
post #2 of 34
There is an official sperry or boat shoe thread somewhere, if you would have searched. It's pretty simple, if it's warm enough where you live to walk around without socks, by all means. If it's cold where you live you will look and eventually feel like an idiot walking around without socks. Like, if it's cold outside, do you wear a tanktop because you've seen pictures online of people wearing tanktops the very same day? There are different climates around the world.
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo View Post
There is an official sperry or boat shoe thread somewhere, if you would have searched.

It's pretty simple, if it's warm enough where you live to walk around without socks, by all means.

If it's cold where you live you will look and eventually feel like an idiot walking around without socks.

Like, if it's cold outside, do you wear a tanktop because you've seen pictures online of people wearing tanktops the very same day? There are different climates around the world.

I thank you and appreciate your quick response but that part of your statement I have put in bold front is entirely incorrect. I don't see ads for people walking around sub freezing and snowy climates in tank tops, although I do see ads for people walking around NYC in a sweater, heavy coat, scarf, and boat shoes with no socks.
post #4 of 34
It's just a matter of personal preference. I think that good style is the successful combination of practicality and fashion, so I only go sockless when it's warm outside. To me, going sockless in warm weather makes it look like you're trying too hard, because it's incredibly obvious that you're sacrificing practicality for fashion. When you do go sockless, though, loafer socks are a good way to keep your shoes from smelling badly after a while.
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
I thank you and appreciate your quick response but that part of your statement I have put in bold front is entirely incorrect. I don't see ads for people walking around sub freezing and snowy climates in tank tops, although I do see ads for people walking around NYC in a sweater, heavy coat, scarf, and boat shoes with no socks.

Can you please post images of such ads?

Are you sure you were not drowsy with the fumes of Bacchus or worse while viewing these advertisements?
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
Can you please post images of such ads?

Are you sure you were not drowsy with the fumes of Bacchus or worse while viewing these advertisements?

Not an ad, but I've seen "sockless" (looks like he is wearing short socks) on Sart in seemingly cold weather at least once.

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...to_6758Web.jpg
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
I'd like to make this thread an 'official' boat shoe thread so if anyone else has any questions about how to properly wear boat shoes, please ask here.

Lurk moar noob.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
Not an ad, but I've seen "sockless" (looks like he is wearing short socks) on Sart in seemingly cold weather at least once. http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...to_6758Web.jpg
Those aren't boat shoes, let alone Sperry Topsiders. That is not winter in New York city. That is not even New York City. That is Milano....Via Senato. That is not a winter shot. That is September or April/May in Milano....it is at least 65-70.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
Not an ad, but I've seen "sockless" (looks like he is wearing short socks) on Sart in seemingly cold weather at least once.

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...to_6758Web.jpg

fail homie he's wearing black ankle socks
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
Those aren't boat shoes, let alone Sperry Topsiders.

That is not winter in New York city. That is not even New York City. That is Milano....Via Senato.

That is not a winter shot. That is September or April/May in Milano....it is at least 65-70.

I know they're not boat shoes - I was merely trying to show a sockless look that included cold weather elements. I was under the impression that it was late October. If it really is 65-70 degrees, I'm not entirely sure what a wool peacoat is doing draped over his shoulders. Regardless, you're right in that it certainly isn't the dead of winter.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
I know they're not boat shoes - I was merely trying to show a sockless look that included cold weather elements. I was under the impression that it was late October. If it really is 65-70 degrees, I'm not entirely sure what a wool peacoat is doing draped over his shoulders. Regardless, you're right in that it certainly isn't the dead of winter.

Dude....my father's side is Italian...I have spent time with my uncle, aunt and cousins there.....in APril and May, in Southern Italy, gentlemen parade around with cashmere overcoats draped over there shoulders, while holding hands....father and son, two best friends....if they tried that here, they would be lynched by the God-hates-fags fucknuts.......

It's definitely not a winter scene.....if you try wearing boat shoes in manhattan today or tomorrow....I hope you have health insurance for the pneumonia medicationantibiotics....
post #12 of 34
My apologies then.
post #13 of 34
Please don't start anymore threads.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
Please don't start anymore threads.

+ 1 fucking million.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo View Post
+ 1 fucking million.

justin bieber isnt allowed on styleforum

i, of course, would be citing jet as inspiration on this one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ