or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › jury duty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

jury duty

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
being called for jury duty tomorrow for the 2nd time in 3 months.

Not looking forward to it.

the big question is dress up or down for it?

and goofy facial hair or clean shaven?

(here was my look for the last appearance... I did not get picked)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes View Post
being called for jury duty tomorrow for the 2nd time in 3 months.

Not looking forward to it.

the big question is dress up or down for it?

and goofy facial hair or clean shaven?

(here was my look for the last appearance... I did not get picked)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Definitely dress down if you don't want to be picked during selection. I learned that the hard way this past summer.
post #3 of 38
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.
post #4 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolari View Post
Definitely dress down if you don't want to be picked during selection. I learned that the hard way this past summer.

I'm not opposed to being picked, it'd actually be a nice break from work.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut View Post
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

Here in Mass. lawyers are not immune from jury duty, and surprisingly some get on panels.

The one time I was called for duty I got there at the last possible minute, and was number 48/48. The first 12 people were empaneled; there was NO voir dire and no one was excused. Could have been me if I got there early. From the judge's description, it sounded like a (civil) insurance fraud case, faked injuries, or just a p.i. kinda thing.
post #6 of 38
dress like a slob. guaranteed to not be chosen
post #7 of 38
i would get asked to go to jury duty all the time and i hated going and would couple of times provided an excuse.

however past 5 years or so, i never was required to go.
but my work here provides 6 full paid days for jury duty per year, i would love to go. but i never get called for it anymore!

i would love to be sitting on a case that would last 5-6 days.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
dress like a slob. guaranteed to not be chosen

Problem is that 95% of people dress like slobs. You would have to really up your slovenly game to stand out as a slob.
post #9 of 38
Tell the judge you're a racist. I just got another summons today, I sat on a 10 day murder trial about three years ago and I feel like I've had my fill. I'm about to move so maybe I can pretend I never got it.
post #10 of 38
It's so random how they pick a jury. My mother was summoned 3 times even and she does not speak English.
post #11 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
Problem is that 95% of people dress like slobs. You would have to really up your slovenly game to stand out as a slob.

ya I've been thinking about that.... I'm half tempted to wear my tux. I think snobby and condescending might be a good angle to go after.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedaddy View Post
It's so random how they pick a jury. My mother was summoned 3 times even and she does not speak English.

same thing with my mom. i think she was summoned 3 times too. do we have the same mother?
post #13 of 38
Do your jury duty. You will definitely learn something, or perhaps, a lot of somethings.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut View Post
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

FYI, you still get called (at least in California state courts and the federal courts) if you're a lawyer. And I have made it onto a jury despite being a practicing lawyer, as have colleagues of mine.
post #15 of 38
Use makeup on your face to fake injuries. No one wants to see a beat up juror.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › jury duty