or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good leather gloves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good leather gloves

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I'm in the market for a pair of good leather gloves.

I think I'll probably go with shearling lining, as I already have spring/autumn gloves for the less cold periods.

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Am I going for the wrong kind of leather, the wrong leather thickness or what?

Or is it just a question of the quality of the leather?

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

If you please, could someone inform me of what to look for when buying a new pair to avoid them going the way of the previous pairs? Ie leather type, leather thickness, fit etc...

Thank you in advance
post #2 of 42
I'm a very satisfied customer of Chester Jefferies (online) you might want to try them out.
Mine are in cape and silk lined, so probably not what you're after.
post #3 of 42
I have some rabbit fur lined gloves from dents, in a dark tan. They are incredibly warm (if anything my hands sometimes become uncomfortable) so will certainly be suitable for the cold weather. I have not had them long, so cannot speak as to their longevity, but the leather is already beginning to crinkle, which I see as no bad thing. I anticipate the gloves will darken slightly, which is another thing I don't mind. Stretching I would find unacceptable, but they have no signs of that yet.
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoes View Post
I have some rabbit fur lined gloves from dents, in a dark tan. They are incredibly warm (if anything my hands sometimes become uncomfortable) so will certainly be suitable for the cold weather. I have not had them long, so cannot speak as to their longevity, but the leather is already beginning to crinkle, which I see as no bad thing. I anticipate the gloves will darken slightly, which is another thing I don't mind. Stretching I would find unacceptable, but they have no signs of that yet.

I have some Dents as well. They got crinkly pretty quick, but it hasn't really affected the durability. The stitching seems very weel done. All in all they are gaining some character, while holding up.
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post
Blah blah................

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Blah.......blah..........

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

Blah..........


Your problem is that you buy cheap stuff.

Go Hermes.

Then you'd know you've just got the BEST. And when whatever happens that you don't like, you'd know that it's just the way the leather/glove is supposed to do.


DONE.
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
I have some Dents as well. They got crinkly pretty quick, but it hasn't really affected the durability. The stitching seems very weel done. All in all they are gaining some character, while holding up.

I agree, once they look well worn, I think they look much better, it makes them seem even cosier and more comfortable.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Your problem is that you buy cheap stuff.

Go Hermes.

Then you'd know you've just got the BEST. And when whatever happens that you don't like, you'd know that it's just the way the leather/glove is supposed to do.


DONE.

Will they actually sell the gloves to someone or will someone (not Mafoofan) have to tell us the secret word?
post #8 of 42
Go to Chester Jefferies. You can send in a tracing of your hands as a pattern for custom creation of your gloves, and so you can get them as close fitting as you'd like.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post
My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

According to Luciano, not a problem:



I agree:

post #10 of 42
Heir to a Glove Town's Legacy


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/fashion/22GLOVERSVILLE.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=daniel%20storto&st=cse
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post
Ok, so I'm in the market for a pair of good leather gloves.

I think I'll probably go with shearling lining, as I already have spring/autumn gloves for the less cold periods.

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Am I going for the wrong kind of leather, the wrong leather thickness or what?

Or is it just a question of the quality of the leather?

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

If you please, could someone inform me of what to look for when buying a new pair to avoid them going the way of the previous pairs? Ie leather type, leather thickness, fit etc...

Thank you in advance

This is simply how gloves react to wear.

I highly recommend the Italy made gloves of Madova. Bought my first pair a couple of months ago, the leather is stunning and the cashmere lining super soft. They also make shearling if that's what you're going for.

For pictures and info, see this post: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=205
post #12 of 42
Add my voice to those supporting Chester Jefferies. Great gloves for a great price and they do bespoke, too. Doesn't get much better than that.
post #13 of 42
I recently bought a pair at Aspinal London and I really like the quality. I wear them quite often, but it's still too early to evaluate their response to ageing.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

If I want my gloves to turn out just like this, what leather and color would I get? I'm figuring a tan; could that be deerskin? I'm thinking of going with Chester Jeffries. any model recommendations?
post #15 of 42
Get a pair of Budd's buffed hogskin gloves, and wear them for 4 or 5 years and you will get there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good leather gloves