• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Cordovan is rare. If it was all that great, wouldn't it be more popular?

They tell me 1) it doesn't crease 2) scuffs buff out far more easily than with leather 3) they last forever and keep looking new blah blah.

How much of this is legend vs reality?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a pair for over 2 years that are holding up very well. I really do my best to beat them to death and they dont even flinch.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is cordovan all that?

It's all that and much more.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not rare... it's just expensive.

I know I'll get hate for it, but it almost always look plasticky to me. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me later.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector

They tell me 1) it doesn't crease 2) scuffs buff out far more easily than with leather 3) they last forever and keep looking new blah blah.

it takes 6 months to tan the hide that makes 1 pair of shoes.
they could tan a calf leather hide that makes like 4 pairs of shoes in an hour.

what makes more financial sense?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I know I'll get hate for it, but it almost always look plasticky to me.
To appreciate it as it should be ... it takes a degree of sophistication some lack.
devil.gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some cordovan shells listed on ebay that cracked around the opening of the shoes. They are not all that die-hard fans have made it out to be but I certainly wouldn't do without them. Popularity is a tricky word here, they appeal to some people but at the same time, because as you say, they are rare and difficult and expensive to acquire, that surely has some effect on how "popular" it is.

Some like their distinct charateristics such as the "ripples" instead of microcreases on calfskin but to me, I prefer a buffet of various uppers, with calfskin, suede and cordovan in the top 3. I know their advantages and disadvantages and I find no need to lean to any single choice.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Well, it is certainly refreshing to hear that it is indeed good stuff. Most of the hype I've heard is from AE salespeople; naturally I'm reluctant to believe such a personally interested party
smile.gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was skeptical until I handled some at a store.

I'm in the minority on this, but I think shell looks best when it's on boots. The ripples look off on "smaller" shoes such as loafers, and sometimes even overpowers oxfords and derbys. On boots, however, they can look just right.

Aside from construction and toughness, #8 shell cordovan really just has an incredibly, incredibly rich color in real life. You really ought to check them out at least.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for boots, but I love them on monkstraps. They can instantly dress "up" an outfit while looking cool.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fab Style
Cordovan is just another type of leather. The only diff is that it is more porous making it more durable and softer

Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
less...

Yeah, it is less porous.

I remember when I first got into shoes and heard about cordovan I thought it would be the only kind of shoes I would ever buy again. For me its novelty as slightly worn off and I realized that it is best suited for certain applications as people mentioned above.

I think it looks great on boots, but if you really want a dressier shoe the pull up effect can be a little much, even in black, although adding character. It is also a chunkier leather and can be a bit inconsistant with ripples, and bubbles in certain areas. I just don't think it looks as sleek as calf and while producing its own kind of "glow" it doesn't shine up like calf does.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector

Well, the average person looks to spend $50-$100 on shoes. The cheapest new Shell Cordovan shoes are ~$500. To me, that explains why they are not popular amongst the general population.

I personally only like shell on wingtips, but that is just me. When the shoe is relatively plain, I find the rippling draws too much attention. On a wingtip, there is a lot going on design wise, so the creasing is less noticeable.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Shell cordovan is alpha as ****.

lol8[1].gif
the new SF mantra

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads