Related Forum Threads
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:19 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- Charcoal Suit - Color of Shoes? Last post on 9/1/12 at 6:45pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Is cordovan all that? - Page 17
Styleforum Top Picks
I really like shell cordovan. It has an appearance and characteristics that are different from calf, once broken in - I like that. If properly cared for, it does not look plasticy or fake. It can last longer than calf, whether well cared for or never cared for. Even if abused, 30 minutes with a brush will have it looking great.
I also like when I see someone else wearing shell, I compliment them on their shoes and we're part of an exclusive club.
1) Unique patina/glow - look at the Alden or Crockett and Jones threads for pictueres
2) Easy to care for - only need polish sparingly
3) Hard wearing - substantial leather, can take a beating
4) Versatility (cordovan "dress" shoes, more than calf, can be dressed down as well as dressed up because of how substantial the leather looks)
1) Brogues (wintip or longwing)
2) Loafers (penny or tassel)
3) Boots (wingtip, captoe, etc)
Some people say they don't look sleek enough for suits. For certain suits (like Tom Ford as mentioned) that is likely true. However for other suits, slacks/blazer combo, etc, cordovan dress shoes are entirely appropriate.
Cordovan works well in casual boots, casual shoes, dress shoes, etc. Just make sure they match your outfit. Most of the guys posting in the Alden thread seem to be wearing them casually but I wear wingtips, loafers, longwings, etc with suits
It's a balmoral so it's going to be more formal. I think they look nice for what they are. I also really like the shell Strand if you're considering that sort of shoe. The most standard shell AEs would be the Leads and the MacNeil. Those are both "gunboats" which is very true to traditional American shell shoes.
- Is cordovan all that?
- › The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread 5 seconds ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 42 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 50 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 58 seconds ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 1 minute ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 2 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Slim wallets recommendation 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...