or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is cordovan all that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is cordovan all that? - Page 16

post #226 of 266
I was in an auto parts store the other day and an old timer starts going on about how he had a pair of "florsheims," meaning my longwings, how he bought them in '71 at the only shoe store in town for $35, whatever, then he kind of looks again, frowns, and says... "Mine were leather, though."
post #227 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post
I was in an auto parts store the other day and an old timer starts going on about how he had a pair of "florsheims," meaning my longwings, how he bought them in '71 at the only shoe store in town for $35, whatever, then he kind of looks again, frowns, and says... "Mine were leather, though."
post #228 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post
I was in an auto parts store the other day and an old timer starts going on about how he had a pair of "florsheims," meaning my longwings, how he bought them in '71 at the only shoe store in town for $35, whatever, then he kind of looks again, frowns, and says... "Mine were leather, though."

post #229 of 266
-----
post #230 of 266
Question:
I was feeling some cordovan in a store and I was able to mark it with my nail. Is this not a real mark, but instead can be easily rubbed/polished out?
post #231 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post
Question:
I was feeling some cordovan in a store and I was able to mark it with my nail. Is this not a real mark, but instead can be easily rubbed/polished out?

Cordovan is not steel You can still scuff it and mark it. They polish out really well though. Can also try Deer Bone, though I never done so myself.
post #232 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post
Question:
I was feeling some cordovan in a store and I was able to mark it with my nail. Is this not a real mark, but instead can be easily rubbed/polished out?

Cordovan gets nasty looking "scratches" fairly easily, but they buff out with the horsehair brush with little work.
post #233 of 266
ordered my RL Dartlon Penny Loafers two weeks ago. Still waiting for them
post #234 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post
ordered my RL Dartlon Penny Loafers two weeks ago. Still waiting for them

Karma is getting back at you for the JLs you grabbed
post #235 of 266
Cross-post from the Vass porn thread, but here are some close-ups of Horween black shell cordovan.



post #236 of 266
black shell is the one color that I don't think is really worth paying more for than calf. at least, it's the last shell color I would buy
post #237 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
black shell is the one color that I don't think is really worth paying more for than calf. at least, it's the last shell color I would buy

I used to think so as well. But shell is always just more fun! :^)
post #238 of 266
No it isn't all that IMO. I have four pairs but they are impractical. Shell Cordovan does not breath so is too hot on many days - even in England! I only find mine comfortable in the late Autumn and Winter - so not good value for money either.

What is lovely about Shell is it moulds wonderfully to your feet so is very comfortable! I am told it outlasts calf but I've seen examples of cracked cordovan so am doubtful about this.
post #239 of 266
It's OK... It has its place. I would never get it for every day dress shoes. It has more of a rustic look to me. I like it for rainy weather shoes.
post #240 of 266
Recently bought my first pair of shells. I took a flyer on some AE Park Ave shells in burgundy that I found on ebay. Never received as many compliments on my shoes as I did the first time I wore them. I think they really look great, but I can see why shell wouldn't be as worthwhile if they were black.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is cordovan all that?