or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are pale pink shirts for men ok?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are pale pink shirts for men ok? - Page 4

post #46 of 99
There are a lot of things to say "no" to in that picture.
post #47 of 99
Today, I am wearing a pink shirt and is usually the case on such days, I have received comments from every woman I've seen today. Same is true when I wear my lavender (Robert Talbott MTM, faint herringbone pattern) with a dark purple tie with white dots. I have a dark skin tone (thanks to my Italian grandfather), and these colors suit me well. Gentlemen chums often make the comment, "I wish I had the courage to wear that color." I'm not sure it is courage, but comfort.
post #48 of 99
Quote:
There are a lot of things to say "no" to in that picture.
haha, yeah, I've always had a problem with short sleeved shirts worn with ties. It's just plain weird.
post #49 of 99
Quote:
There are a lot of things to say "no" to in that picture.
Pink shirts, Short sleeved shirts with ties, all we need now is a handbag to finish the look.
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Pink shirts, Short sleeved shirts with ties, all we need now is a handbag to finish the look.
Better watch out, or I'll swat you with my purse. Actually, I think that the short-sleeved shirt with tie thing was meant to illustrate a no-go.
post #51 of 99
While I have serious issues with pink, I do love purple shirts. It's my favourite colour actually. I probably live on Mars, but do a lot of people think that it's unmanly?
post #52 of 99
Quote:
Pink shirts, Short sleeved shirts with ties, all we need now is a handbag to finish the look.
You really need to work on your trolls. They started out pretty weak, and they've gotten progressively weaker.
post #53 of 99
Quote:
While I have serious issues with pink, I do love purple shirts. It's my favourite colour actually. I probably live on Mars, but do a lot of people think that it's unmanly?
But your profile says that you live in Toronto. I'm so confused... Purple is a great color in most of its different incarnations. If it's unmanly to wear it, well, then, I'll be unmanly.
post #54 of 99
FCS and JCusey, I think a light purple shirt, rep tie in light purple/silver or light purple/dark purple and a charcoal suit would look great. Purple is a nice color.
post #55 of 99
My super art skills put to use
post #56 of 99
Thread Starter 
I don't think there's anything wrong with purple per se (a blue shirt wanting to be pink?.) but ever since I read Class, I have been reminded of purple polyester pantsuits when I see purple. Paul Fussell, in Class also considers purple the color of the proles--that is, the proletariat--the same way navy is the color of the upper middle class. [And may I add beige/white/light grey the colors of the upper class?]
post #57 of 99
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
Quote:
While I was out ordering a first m-t-m shirt yesterday (admittedly blue), I also selected a fabric for a new suit. Although I did not end up choosing the fabric, I was severely tempted by a Loro Piana grey-ground lavender pinstripe. Very discreet and, in my mind, distinguished. And yes, I do wear purple shirts (solid end-on-end and purple check on white ground), although not to often. It's a pleasant variation. MtB *EDIT* VersaceMan: Wow, your light blue pink-lined Etro sure is something. It sure is a test for my self restraint not to go out and 'get me one of those...'
Let us know how the shirt turns out. As for the LP grey with lavender stripes, I have a shirt made of that fabric, got it made last summer in Rome. VERY NICE shirt. You should have started with that.. As for Etro, the largest selection for men will have to be Oger in Amsterdam. About 30 different shirts. In the Hague, you have Oger and Hoogeveen Rouwers. As for pink shirts, if you are not man enough to wear it, don't . Who cares what others say. Usually I give them a "you want me to disable you" look then they shut up.
post #58 of 99
All quotes originally posted by T4phage:
Quote:
Let us know how the shirt turns out.
I'll post in the custom-shirt (Geneva) thread.
Quote:
As for the LP grey with lavender stripes, I have a shirt made of that fabric, got it made last summer in Rome.  VERY NICE shirt.  You should have started with that..
There must be some confusion here, the LP grey with lavender pinstripe fabric was wool, unless I'm seriously mistaken. I wrote I was also selecting fabric for a suit and came across the LP. I just brought it up in response to the 'wearing purple/lavender' remark. But it would have made a great suit... And as I said, I was sorely tempted. In any case, you do make me curious as to your shirt. I'd like to see that sometime, somehow.
Quote:
As for Etro, the largest selection for men will have to be Oger in Amsterdam.  About 30 different shirts.  In the Hague, you have Oger and Hoogeveen Rouwers.
I discovered Oger in the Hague (I'm becoming what you might call a regular). In fact, I purchased 4 Etro shirts there this year (2 on sale, 2 new collection both linnen). Hoogeweegen Rouwers somehow is not a store I feel comfortable in, although I couldn't explain why.
Quote:
As for pink shirts, if you are not man enough to wear it, don't   .  Who cares what others say.  Usually I give them a "you want me to disable you" look then they shut up.
I like pink shirts. See my earlier post in this thread. MtB
post #59 of 99
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
Quote:
Quote As for the LP grey with lavender stripes, I have a shirt made of that fabric, got it made last summer in Rome. VERY NICE shirt. You should have started with that.. There must be some confusion here, the LP grey with lavender pinstripe fabric was wool, unless I'm seriously mistaken. I wrote I was also selecting fabric for a suit and came across the LP. I just brought it up in response to the 'wearing purple/lavender' remark. But it would have made a great suit... And as I said, I was sorely tempted. In any case, you do make me curious as to your shirt. I'd like to see that sometime, somehow.
My shirt is a LP cotton fabric, grey royal oxford with lavender pinstripes, very very nice. I picked up the fabric at the Loro Piana outlet at "the Mall", and got my shirtmaker to transform it into a shirt for me. You should really go to the "Mall", since you will find some nice fabrics, plus some "one offs"
post #60 of 99
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
Quote:
I discovered Oger in the Hague (I'm becoming what you might call a regular). In fact, I purchased 4 Etro shirts there this year (2 on sale, 2 new collection both linnen). Hoogeweegen Rouwers somehow is not a store I feel comfortable in, although I couldn't explain why.
It's actually a nice store, the only things I get there are some Etro shirts (I picked up a wild striped shirt last week), and occasional presents for my wife in the Etro/Chloe area.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are pale pink shirts for men ok?