• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Envelope embossing and Wax sealing envelops???

Korben

Reaction score
I have been writing hand written letters to several friends for a few years now. I have always used nice stationery. However, recently two of my correspondents have started embossing their envelopes. One simply embosses their initials just above where the envelope is sealed. The other places and embossed golden sticker with his initials. Also, another has starting wax sealing his envelopes with his single initial. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if so why and what do you think of these practices?

Annadale

Reaction score
Affected. It is nice that you take the time to handwrite letters, embossing the envelope is a touch too far. As for your friend who wax seals and impresses, who does he think he is, Little Lord ******* Fauntleroy? If they are mates, dump them!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got lots of letters wax sealed in Venice and other areas of Italy. Its died out here in England though.

I would say its a little affected, but if you're still hand writing letters on good parchment/paper then you may well be the type of person who can get away with it.

Mr T

Reaction score
I don't know why this practice would be more affected than anything else we do. But ask yourself, how did you feel when your friends embossed their envelopes to you? Personally, I would appreciate it if my friends did this and have considered embossing/sealing my own correspondence.

There are many inexpensive wax stamps for holidays and/or simple designs (in addition to initials or crests) that give you some ability to personalize the stamp for your receiver. For instance, if you were writing to Annadale (above poster) you might stamp his envelope with a big f*** Oscar the Grouch.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
For instance, if you were writing to Annadale (above poster) you might stamp his envelope with a big f*** Oscar the Grouch.
laugh.gif
And I agree..in this day where the act of writing letters is so rare, there is a special feeling to receive something that has been prepared with such care and attention to detail.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
Affected. It is nice that you take the time to handwrite letters, embossing the envelope is a touch too far. As for your friend who wax seals and impresses, who does he think he is, Little Lord ******* Fauntleroy? If they are mates, dump them!

WTF are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Alter
laugh.gif

And I agree..in this day where the act of writing letters is so rare, there is a special feeling to receive something that has been prepared with such care and attention to detail.

This. Letters are about formality and etiquette. The embossing or sealing is a nice touch, go for it.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine wanted a wax seal just for his tax returns.. typically, he usually didnt have to pay a dime
smile.gif

Korben

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and the difference of opinions is interesting. I don't think I will ever go to wax sealing but it did impress me. I may start embossing my initials just for a little extra extravagance.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
mmmm "red wax seals" on quality paper.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
a friend of mine wanted a wax seal just for his tax returns.. typically, he usually didnt have to pay a dime
smile.gif

I seal mine with tears.

kungapa

Reaction score
Considering you take the time to write letters by hand, why not go balls to the wall with embossing and wax seals? You are halfway there already, and clearly should not give a **** what other people might think - you and your friends are having fun.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it for years -- usually just the initial of my last name, but really, anything will do. I also handwrite, on very nice embossed paper, with a dip pen. It's extravagant, but shows that you went the extra mile.

~ H

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have wax and the embosing tool. Sadly I don't use them often enough.

Korben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've done it for years -- usually just the initial of my last name, but really, anything will do. I also handwrite, on very nice embossed paper, with a dip pen. It's extravagant, but shows that you went the extra mile.

~ H

Really a dip pen? Very nice. What type of pen?

juliette2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korben
I have been writing hand written letters to several friends for a few years now. I have always used nice stationery. However, recently two of my correspondents have started embossing their envelopes. One simply embosses their initials just above where the envelope is sealed. The other places and embossed golden sticker with his initials. Also, another has starting wax sealing his envelopes with his single initial. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if so why and what do you think of these practices?

I had no idea guys did the was sealing thing. I thought it was strictly a girl thing.

I learn something new on this forum every time I stop by.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics