or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Girlfriend/Fiancee Tattoos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Girlfriend/Fiancee Tattoos

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
I know that this is almost universally regarded as a bad idea. However, I'd like input from all those dating/married/ink-happy SFers, or whoever wants to input. My idea is this: to get a tattoo of arabic calligraphy of my girlfriend of 4.5 years on my shoulderblade. It's not in a place that will cause employment issues, and not immediately recognizable as a name. edit: the Arabic is mostly because I like the swirly look of Arabic writing and its unique, unlike kanji or chinese, which is everywhere. I wrote it myself and had someone tart it up for me, so I know what it says. I speak arabic, so I'm not gonna get stoned for having "muhammad's a pig" on me. The incomprehensibility to 99% of the world is just a bonus.
post #2 of 43
My counsel: Don't do it.

post #3 of 43
I have 70% of my body covered in tattoos and having been a tattoo artist for 10+ years...........i dunno man. in general I'm not fond of getting names (bands, sig others etc) tattooed but you have the luxury of it not being recognized as a name so if it's what you're feeling then go for it. Many look at their tattoos as stamps in points of their life, so if it doesnt work out for you guys you can always see it as a remembrance of good times with her. But if you have any reservations, I'd lean towards NOT getting it done.
post #4 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have 70% of my body covered in tattoos and having been a tattoo artist for 10+ years...........i dunno man. in general I'm not fond of getting names (bands, sig others etc) tattooed but you have the luxury of it not being recognized as a name so if it's what you're feeling then go for it. Many look at their tattoos as stamps in points of their life, so if it doesnt work out for you guys you can always see it as a remembrance of good times with her. But if you have any reservations, I'd lean towards NOT getting it done.

The way you put it, about having reservations - I don't really. I just haven't gotten it done because when I have time, I have no money, and when I have money, I have no time.

Fuck it. You only live once. I don't even know why I posted this now.
post #5 of 43
I have two reasons for urging you to not get the tattoo: 1. My marriage of 28 years is in the process of being disolved; I'd hate to have her name branded into my skin as a constant reminder, regardless of how many fond memories I have of the good times we share. And secondly 2. When I was just a wee lad, I was sitting with my grandfather in his big recliner, admiring the griffin he had tattooed on his right forearm. It was beautiful! I was tracing the lines with my finger when he said, "Iowa Rube, ('casue that's where I was then) promise me you will never, ever get a tattoo. I wish I didn't have this." So, for Harry, please don't.
post #6 of 43
Just get one of these while your at it...

http://www.redferret.net/?p=7545
post #7 of 43
I've thought about something similar before - my wife's full name, spelled in the original language - but haven't felt passionate enough to go for it.

Also, whatever you do, for goodness sake don't just get it in another language because you like the way the script reads. Is Arabic her native language? I don't mean to offend, but I think the "it's a different language because it's cool" is hopelessly tacky and uninspired.
post #8 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
I've thought about something similar before - my wife's full name, spelled in the original language - but haven't felt passionate enough to go for it.

Also, whatever you do, for goodness sake don't just get it in another language because you like the way the script reads. Is Arabic her native language? I don't mean to offend, but I think the "it's a different language because it's cool" is hopelessly tacky and uninspired.

She's not Arab, but she is Muslim, and Arabic is to Muslims as Latin was to Catholics. Or like getting "Semper Fi" or "Cogito ergo sum", or something. And I speak Arabic, so it's not as if I just like the look, I also know the meaning and history of the language.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have 70% of my body covered in tattoos and having been a tattoo artist for 10+ years...........i dunno man. in general I'm not fond of getting names (bands, sig others etc) tattooed but you have the luxury of it not being recognized as a name so if it's what you're feeling then go for it. Many look at their tattoos as stamps in points of their life, so if it doesnt work out for you guys you can always see it as a remembrance of good times with her. But if you have any reservations, I'd lean towards NOT getting it done.
I’m torn between your great wardrobe choices and your (IMHO, of course) choice of covering most of your body in tattoos. Jon.
post #10 of 43
ask yourself this: if things don't work out with her for whatever reason, can I be completely honest with the next woman who shares my bed and tell her what that cool tat on my shoulder means? I am not totally against it, but a relative counseled me against a tat once and I am forever greatful.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'm torn between your great wardrobe choices and your (IMHO, of course) choice of covering most of your body in tattoos.

I've always thought Get Smart's tats were the crowning glory of his style, actually.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I've always thought Get Smart's tats were the crowning glory of his style, actually.

Got a point there. Works for him and suits his style; I would not do it myself though. Just not me (my wife has ink though).
post #13 of 43
Thread Starter 
Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past. ~Jack London
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past. ~Jack London

Or a man with a drunken past...

Jon.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Or a man with a drunken past...

If your past contains enough drink, it's bound to be at least a little interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Girlfriend/Fiancee Tattoos