or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Talk to me about Closet Built-Ins
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talk to me about Closet Built-Ins

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm renting a new place, and have given-up owning dressers. Last place had a closet built-in, which I would like to do in my new place.

Anyone have any recommendations or words of advice?
post #2 of 16
Figure what you want, get your budget, then double it. When you get into it youll find problems, different designs you want, stuff to add, 50 bucks here, 100 there, by the time its done, your original plan has almost doubled. Ive found this to be true in most home improvement areas.

Then again, maybe it just shows im a shitty budget maker. hehehe
post #3 of 16
i went to ikea last weekend, they have a few set up that i liked. i haven't bought anything from ikea in the past so i am hesitant to pull the trigger on it.
post #4 of 16
Ikea furniture is great, just don't use it or it will probably fall apart.
post #5 of 16
Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?

good point.
post #7 of 16
I wouldn't waste the money on something in a rental that you cannot easily dismantle and take with you.
post #8 of 16
Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think. This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think.

This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.

The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.
post #10 of 16
30% off. I think its worth it.
post #11 of 16
Go to HD or Lowe's and get a kit you can install (and uninstall) yourself. Lots of options to fit what you like (drawers, shelves, hanging bars, etc.). It is cheaper, more flexible, and usually the same quality material that you would pay a "closet designer" to install. If you have the rudimentary motor skills, it won't take you more than a weekend.

* Requires use of a drill and power screwdriver, which they also conveniently carry at the store.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.

Actually, does anyone know when this end?
post #13 of 16
I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.

The Container Store stuff really is quite expensive. IKEA is a much cheaper place to shop.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.
We have a friend who calls the Container Store "church." As in, she shows up every Sunday and leaves with a substantially lighter wallet, some guilt and great hope for the next week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Talk to me about Closet Built-Ins