or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Still gaining weight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Still gaining weight - Page 3

post #31 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post
Start taking a daily read of your temperature, and keep track of it. 1350 cals for a 210lb guy sounds like a starvation diet to me - you could crash your metabolism if you run at too high of a deficit.

Ill start taking my temperature but I dont really consume much more calories even if I wasnt dieting lol. Im just one of those guys whos not skinny, but doesnt eat a lot lol. For example, right now I am not hungry at all.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowleY View Post
So I started working out for the past couple weeks. I also reduced the amount of calories I take it. I started taking protein after workout drinks (about 36g of protein). I started working out I weighed ~210, and in 1 week I gained almost 6-7 lbs. Im assuming that this is due to putting on muscle and from the protein drinks, but I would ultimately like to put on muscle and lose weight. I also suffer from having not the greatest backs so one reason I take the protein is to help recover quicker. I dont overlift either since I know the toll it can take (I had hurt my arm a while ago overlifting). Also something funny that happened, on new years I had a party at my house, and my friends from college who I hadnt seen in about 2-3 weeks came over. They all said it looked like I had been losing weight, but it was just weird because I knew I had put on weight lol so im assuming either A) they were being nice, but I dont think this was the reason. Or B) I actually cut fat and put on muscle.

So my main questions, in order to lose weight:
Should I cut out the protein, and see if this makes me lose weight.
Should I add more cardio to my workouts. (I do very little, and to me I believe this is indeed the problem)

Thanks everyone for your help.

If you put on 7lbs of muscle in what I am thinking is a short period of time then my following question is how much sauce are you on? Sorry the human body does not just add muscle that quickly, im sorry to inform you.

I need to see your daily diet and your height weight activity level, your caloric intake on workout days and non workout days, macro nutrients for each day and so on.

I started a diet of cutting on august 28th with 140lbs of mass(40% body fat) and a total weight of 231(I did a hydrostatic test) and 4 months later I have lost 60lbs and added 10 lbs of mass. I eat 1700cals on non workout days at a 40/40/20 of protein/carbs/fat. On workout days I consumer around 2300 cals. My basic BMR with basic activity, not including working out is 2400. So I cut my 2400 bmr by 700 a day to average a 1.5lb loss.

I then leave another 500-600cals a day unburned 5 times a week for close to another lb each week of loss.

Sorry this might be info overload but if you want help PM me. My diet is on point and so are my workouts. Something is definitely wrong with your diet. Diet is key far beyond workouts. You can lose weight with diet alone really.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post
fat/weight loss is primarily a function of diet.

1. track your calories using fitday.com. enter in exactly everything you eat for a week. not what you should be eating, what you're actually eating.

2. tally up your weekly calories, divide by 7. that's your average daily calorie total. chop 500 from that number.

3. eat at your new calorie total for the week. continue tracking your diet. monitor whether or not you have lost or gained weight. if you're still gaining weight, chop more calories off your daily total. if you've stayed the same weight, add in more cardio. if you've lost weight, continue what you're doing.

4. continue to track your diet. you say you eat what mom makes for dinner, which makes it hard to track what you're actually eating. one thing that will help is cutting out starchy carbs - bread, pasta, etc. only consume starchy carbs post-workout or post-cardio.

Fitday sucks. Use Myfitnesspal.com so far the best I can find and has BOTS that search for nutrition listings for most foods produced out in grocery stores.
post #34 of 54
Tracking calories is really a ridiculous concept. If only the starving children of the world could see a day in the life of some moron that weighs his chicken breasts and counts how many cheerios he pours into his cereal bowl. Just simply eat the whole, unprocessed, unadulterated, foods that humans evolved to eat, ad infinitum even, (keeping carbs low) and you won't have to waste your time tracking how many calories you've consumed on the internet. Counting calories for weight loss is really only necessary if you're eating the type of foods that have packaging telling you how many calories they contain.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
Tracking calories is really a ridiculous concept. If only the starving children of the world could see a day in the life of some moron that weighs his chicken breasts and counts how many cheerios he pours into his cereal bowl.

Just simply eat the whole, unprocessed, unadulterated, foods that humans evolved to eat, ad infinitum even, (keeping carbs low) and you won't have to waste your time tracking how many calories you've consumed on the internet.

Counting calories for weight loss is really only necessary if you're eating the type of foods that have packaging telling you how many calories they contain.

No.

Counting calories is especially important if you're starting out or are new to dieting - mainly because of the fucked up preconceptions of what amount of real food constitutes, say 500 cals.

I'm with you on the low-carbing and all that, but to someone struggling to lose or gain weight counting them caloriez is a pretty good start.
post #36 of 54
I'd say more fat, I take in around 50 g on a cut and I am around 180 at 10% bf when I cut. More protein carbs around 120-150 is what I"d do. You shouldn't worry to much about weight loss if you are just starting from scratch that will automatically happen just because of increased activity level. Just concentrate on form when lifting, lift heavy with high volume, and watch the diet. Diet is the most important part of cutting or bulking up.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
Tracking calories is really a ridiculous concept. If only the starving children of the world could see a day in the life of some moron that weighs his chicken breasts and counts how many cheerios he pours into his cereal bowl.

Just simply eat the whole, unprocessed, unadulterated, foods that humans evolved to eat, ad infinitum even, (keeping carbs low) and you won't have to waste your time tracking how many calories you've consumed on the internet.

Counting calories for weight loss is really only necessary if you're eating the type of foods that have packaging telling you how many calories they contain.

Based on this I can eat 3k calories of chicken and vegetables daily, not exercise, and lose weight. I think you have a misconception of what it takes to lose weight.
post #38 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
Based on this I can eat 3k calories of chicken and vegetables daily, not exercise, and lose weight. I think you have a misconception of what it takes to lose weight.

Im on it! lol.
I think that the reason I had gained so much weight wasnt because I was working out/taking protein but due to the holidays lol. Lots of family parties, lots of weight gain. Because now im down to 210, so I lost 4 lbs in the last 3 days or so lol. So I think my body is just going back to its normal body weight.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
Based on this I can eat 3k calories of chicken and vegetables daily, not exercise, and lose weight. I think you have a misconception of what it takes to lose weight.
Try eating 3k calories of veggies. If you are a starter to healthy food you should count the calories in order to get more knowledge about nutrition. Most people are not really aware of how much calories they pile up with an ordinary meal of fastfood. That is the reason, not because you should build your whole life around counting calories. What most people don't understand is that it needs a complete change of your lifestyle, something you can sustain for the rest of your life. If you are new to dieting you think you should eat lets say 1500 calories per day and run at least 5 miles. But after having done that for three month or so, your body will crave for sweets, more energy and a rest. That is when most people crumble and get back to eating shit and stop being active. Will you be able to count calories for the rest of your life? Will you be able to eat 1500 calories with no sweets for the rest of your life? No! Therefore, change your lifestyle only as much as you think you can live with for the rest of your life. This way you won't get a perfect body in three month like all the super easy programs suggest. But remember: When others have fallen back to being a fatty, you will still be living healthy. Edit: Here is a link as a starting point for your journey on nutrition --> http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/d-...osting-718093/
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
Tracking calories is really a ridiculous concept. If only the starving children of the world could see a day in the life of some moron that weighs his chicken breasts and counts how many cheerios he pours into his cereal bowl.

Just simply eat the whole, unprocessed, unadulterated, foods that humans evolved to eat, ad infinitum even, (keeping carbs low) and you won't have to waste your time tracking how many calories you've consumed on the internet.

Counting calories for weight loss is really only necessary if you're eating the type of foods that have packaging telling you how many calories they contain.

You sir are wrong. even body builders and serious pro athletes count calories.
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowleY View Post
Im on it! lol. I think that the reason I had gained so much weight wasnt because I was working out/taking protein but due to the holidays lol. Lots of family parties, lots of weight gain. Because now im down to 210, so I lost 4 lbs in the last 3 days or so lol. So I think my body is just going back to its normal body weight.
you could eat 10% of your daily diet of it being protein and the rest carbs and still lose weight. it's calories in calories out, as long as your sodium level isnt over 2500 you will lose weight both fat and water weight. Also cutting carbs when you get close to your goal weight is stupid because your body is then forced to eat proteins or fat and its easier to digest your own muscle then it is to break down fat. When you cut carbs drastically your body has no quick energy for weight training.
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS View Post
you could eat 10% of your daily diet of it being protein and the rest carbs and still lose weight. it's calories in calories out, as long as your sodium level isnt over 2500 you will lose weight both fat and water weight. Also cutting carbs when you get close to your goal weight is stupid because your body is then forced to eat proteins or fat and its easier to digest your own muscle then it is to break down fat. When you cut carbs drastically your body has no quick energy for weight training.

Sorry to answer with such infantile humor, but nonetheless:



1. One can train their balls off while on keto

2. Ones sodium levels are balanced by potassium intake (also, the body rids itself of excess sodium pretty effectively), so excess sodium isn't really something to fret about.

3. Keeping carbs low (and thus blood sugar levels low), fat oxidization becomes more effective - if you have adequate protein in your diet, you can pretty much minimize lbm losses (not that they wouldn't occur - they will for natty guys, obviously).
post #43 of 54
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS View Post
you could eat 10% of your daily diet of it being protein and the rest carbs and still lose weight. it's calories in calories out, as long as your sodium level isnt over 2500 you will lose weight both fat and water weight. Also cutting carbs when you get close to your goal weight is stupid because your body is then forced to eat proteins or fat and its easier to digest your own muscle then it is to break down fat. When you cut carbs drastically your body has no quick energy for weight training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxm-cVCdziI
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx View Post
Try eating 3k calories of veggies.

If you are a starter to healthy food you should count the calories in order to get more knowledge about nutrition. Most people are not really aware of how much calories they pile up with an ordinary meal of fastfood. That is the reason, not because you should build your whole life around counting calories.

What most people don't understand is that it needs a complete change of your lifestyle, something you can sustain for the rest of your life. If you are new to dieting you think you should eat lets say 1500 calories per day and run at least 5 miles. But after having done that for three month or so, your body will crave for sweets, more energy and a rest. That is when most people crumble and get back to eating shit and stop being active. Will you be able to count calories for the rest of your life? Will you be able to eat 1500 calories with no sweets for the rest of your life? No! Therefore, change your lifestyle only as much as you think you can live with for the rest of your life. This way you won't get a perfect body in three month like all the super easy programs suggest. But remember: When others have fallen back to being a fatty, you will still be living healthy.

Edit: Here is a link as a starting point for your journey on nutrition --> http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/d-...osting-718093/




Hahaha. Another sherdogger on here. Nice. Didn't think there would be much if any.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Still gaining weight