• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New TV Show Heroes

Man In Space

Reaction score
Did anyone watch the premier of the new NBC show HEROES last night?

I liked it. It wasn't perfect but I think that it's going to get real good.

I'm always in favor of any well done show that raises the profile of sci-fi,

fantasy, etc.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. It's like a "real life" version of X-Men. There's even a Prof X of sorts, the Indian guy who doesnt seem to have any powers but it looks like he's going to organize everyone (?)

the best line was when the japanese kid said he learned about time travel via X-Men #143, which was an awesome issue (with the alternate future storyline) and John Byrne's last issue that he drew.

I'm not sure I understand what Ali Larter (blond stripper) power is? .....anyone care to chime in on her power?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I misread the title as 'Need TV Show Heroes' and I opened the thread expecting to say, yeah, but we need real ones more.

I don't think poorly of sci-fi, and think it has some unique benefits, but generaly this (and most everything on the networks) seems like more middling mediocrity.

Regards,
Huntsman

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ahem...

I started writing about it on my new entertainment blog yesterday.

Jason, I extrapolated a theory on Ali Larter's power.

psycho1964

Reaction score
I really liked it. I am also a comic book nerd so the Japanese character Hiro is my favorite.

Hiro's friend: "Can you profit from making time move?"
Hiro: "Nonsense, heroes work not to profit for themselves, but to help others"

I think the mom/stripper character is like an "Incredible Hulk". She will have rampaging strength.

There are other characters coming, like the NYC cop who can read minds.

Did anyone notice the cheerleader is the little girl from "Remember the Titans"? I recognized the face but couldn't place it.

Hope the show lasts and doesn't become too highbrow (and lose viewers) but not too lowbrow (and become Smallville)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Ahem...

I started writing about it on my new entertainment blog yesterday.

Jason, I extrapolated a theory on Ali Larter's power.

yea your premise of Larter is what I was thinking...altho Psycho's "Hulk" theory might be more interesting in the long run.

a C+? that's it? I thought you've have gone as high as B-...esp with its uber-nerd references

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by psycho1964
Hope the show lasts and doesn't become too highbrow (and lose viewers) but not too lowbrow (and become Smallville)

your avatar reminded me of the preview for Smallville where it has Green Arrow in an upcoming episode. that show is frustrating because Clark still thinks he's the Flash

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea your premise of Larter is what I was thinking...altho Psycho's "Hulk" theory might be more interesting in the long run.

a C+? that's it? I thought you've have gone as high as B-...esp with its uber-nerd references

My main problem with it was that it was too scattered and lacked cohesiveness. I understand its the pilot, and that basically this is the setup for the rest of the season...but there was very little in the way of actual storyline happening. I was a little dissapointed. I can see that it has the potential to be a great show though, once we get through the whole fumbling around stage.

Man In Space

Reaction score
A friend of mine looks at every movie/tv show from this angle: how is this show/movie worse than or not as good as the best one ever made?

I look at it as: how is this show/movie better than the worst ones ever made?

I don't know if that made any sense.

With so much absolute crap out there (especially for sci-fi/comic fans) I try to emphasize the positive areas of shows like this. I'm also fully conscious of the fact that projects like this are intended for mass consumption, so some aspects won't be as cool as they should be because not everyone is a nerd who can truly appreciate the finer elements.

You can't always serve a fine gourmet meal to 20 million people, some of them just want meat and potatoes.

Besides, the cheerleader is cute.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have always secretly wanted an indestructible cheerleader.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
when she walked out of that fire, shouldnt her cheerleader outfit have burned up, leaving her nekkid?
devil.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
God... that garbage disposal scene... I've always had a weird phobia about that.

Man In Space

Reaction score
I just watched episode 2 on the Tivo - I'm still in. Loved the ending.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I liked ep 2 much more than I did the pilot. Me being a nerd, I'm anxious for them to get into the meat of the story a little more I guess.

The pacing seemed better, and more focused in week 2. Plus I'm really diggin the hero cheerleader/adopted dad-evil psychopath angle that they are working on.

I gave it a B+ this week on the bloggy blog Jason.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Slim's review on his blog, and downloaded the episodes so I don't have to wait a year to see them here.

There were probably a few too many cliches thrown around, and some patchy dialogue, but I think it has some good potential. And it's got Greg Grunberg from Alias, so that's a bonus.

It's better than Mutant X, that's for sure.

Baseless prediction: Peter's power isn't flight, it's absorbing or copying the powers of others - which is why his brother lost control after catching him. I figure the serial killer has the same power, and there's gonna be a SHOWDOWN!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads