• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any hell worse than moving?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather spend a month getting waterboarded at Gitmo. I cancelled my vacation plans due to a snow storm and figured what the heck, since I'm sitting at home, I can pack everything on my own. Never again, never again.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a **** about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things I learned from having moved several times in my life;

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things

+1. every time i move or pack up my stuff, i vow to stop buying things.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I own stuff that will all fit in a total of 3 bags. Books are another story, but they can be stored/shipped easily.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a **** about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...

+1. When it's a friend, I show up, lift boxes, etc and drink beer!

runner-guy

Reaction score
Yeah moving definitely sucks ass. When I moved my wife into my condo right before we got married, I had to drive a U-Haul truck with bald tires during an ice storm. That was fun.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
last friend that i helped move...it was early jan....his wife sukked ass......didn't want him to buy us some beers during the day(i actually bought some), they were only 3/5 fully packed....and she sat around playing with their son. she actually had the nerve to ask us "when will we be done!"

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are worse hells, but not many. I loathe moving, and I seem to have a penchant for moving in the hottest part of the summer, which is a nightmare given I've spent the entirety of my life in the deepest of the Deep South.

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things

Another +1.

For my last couple of moves I've hired movers just for the big stuff, and even that seemingly small bit of help was huge.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Been packing all day and getting ready to move out of my apartment tomorrow. I feel for you, it is quite horrible and I barely have anything. Surprisingly, clothes end up weighing more than you might think for shipping.
ffffuuuu.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a *****. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple thousand for a bed?

that's more than an entire local moving service costs

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
couple thousand for a bed? that's more than an entire local moving service costs
+1 I've done full service cross country moves for less than $3k.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a *****. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.

I tried to list all my furniture so someone would buy it and I could just call the stores and have them deliver new **** to me. No go. Bed bugs have ruined craigslist shopping even for nice furniture. And I called the movers to see if they'd be willing to send a couple people over for a few hours to do the packing after I'd already cancelled it - no go, they are booked solid.

Even finding boxes is a pain **********. I hate life right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics