or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can you wear a pocket square to a law school party?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you wear a pocket square to a law school party? - Page 4  

post #46 of 102
Jose -
Although I do agree that you do seem to obsess too much over minute details, I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
You're like a boxer who is improving despite daily ass-kickings and still manages to remain standing and come back for more.

Even if the pocket square/blazer at the bar was "over the top", who really cares? Would that be worse than the guy in shorts and flip-flops? I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed even if I end up looking like I'm trying too hard.

By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.

Who gives a rat's asshole what his threads started vs. threads replied to or whatever the fuck that stat was?
post #47 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Space
I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
Heh, thanks. In every forum, there are people whose opinions are as wise as they are well meant. For example, I've listened to a respected denim proprietor comment about having to filter out the posers on Superfuture, etc.

I don't think sounding out people about tweaking your style on a style forum is a sign of insecurity (it might be a sign of sufficient security to do it). Maybe obsession, but we're all guilty of that to various degrees.

I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity.

I simply love the couple of pocket squares I have because I purchased them in Singapore while taking a brief tour with an SF'er. I've received countless compliments on the particular navy/gold square I always wear with my blazer. As whoopee and others said, it's no big deal. Even if I were in fact overdressed by my peers' perceptions, I ended up joking that I was the only person in the room licensed to practice law already, and that cracked everyone up.
post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Jose -
Although I do agree that you do seem to obsess too much over minute details, I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
You're like a boxer who is improving despite daily ass-kickings and still manages to remain standing and come back for more.

Even if the pocket square/blazer at the bar was "over the top", who really cares? Would that be worse than the guy in shorts and flip-flops? I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed even if I end up looking like I'm trying too hard.

By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.

Who gives a rat's asshole what his threads started vs. threads replied to or whatever the fuck that stat was?

On the other hand, starting a million useless threads pushes the useful threads down further where they are less likely to be seen and where people are less likely to respond to them, thereby decreasing the overall quality of communication on the forum.
post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Heh, thanks. In every forum, there are people whose opinions are as wise as they are well meant. For example, I've listened to a respected denim proprietor comment about having to filter out the posers on Superfuture, etc.

I don't think sounding out people about tweaking your style on a style forum is a sign of insecurity (it might be a sign of sufficient security to do it). Maybe obsession, but we're all guilty of that to various degrees.

I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity.

I simply love the couple of pocket squares I have because I purchased them in Singapore while taking a brief tour with an SF'er. I've received countless compliments on the particular navy/gold square I always wear with my blazer. As whoopee and others said, it's no big deal. Even if I were in fact overdressed by my peers' perceptions, I ended up joking that I was the only person in the room licensed to practice law already, and that cracked everyone up.

So if it's a non-issue why bother to post about it.

I do admit I like your posts because I think you're a quirky guy. From the old "'antiquing' 1000$ shoes with fountain pen ink posts" to the "does my custom blazer that's 4 sizes too small fit ok post" I love em all!!!!

Nevermind what others think of your dress as long as it is professionally appropriate when necessary. I wear all kinds of crazy stuff and take chances with my dress on a daily basis. I'm also one of two men in a graduate cohort of 21 women. Opinions of me may vary but at the end of the day I dress for myself and could really care less if someone has a negative opinion.

MrR
post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity

Here is something we may all agree on
post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Space

By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.


I don't think this is true.
post #52 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Space
By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.


On the other hand, maybe you have a point.
post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Space
By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.


Nah...I just don't believe it.
post #54 of 102
As far as I can recall you're attending Harvard Law School, where in the US, if not there would it be okay to break out a PS? Also, isn't everyone trying to be 'special' there anyway- so that's your mark of distinction, it's a mark of honor!
post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
Quote: Originally Posted by Man In Space By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
I don't think this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
On the other hand, maybe you have a point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
Nah...I just don't believe it.
post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Avoid date-rapes; they will not gloss it over for you.

Yes, but wearing a pocket square would then make it far easy for the polic to pick you up after.

Officer: "Do recognize the man you say Ms. LaRue met in the bar among the men standing in that room - take your time.

Witness: "Yes, he is the one with the pocket square. I would recognize it anywhere. No Harvard man would ever wear one. I know something was fishy."
post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237
Yes, but wearing a pocket square would then make it far easy for the polic to pick you up after.

Officer: "Do recognize the man you say Ms. LaRue met in the bar among the men standing in that room - take your time.

Witness: "Yes, he is the one with the pocket square. I would recognize it anywhere. No Harvard man would ever wear one. I know something was fishy."
Jose may end up being the next Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.

post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
I don't think this is true.

Stop wasting bandwidth.
post #59 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
On the other hand, maybe you have a point.

Srsly, stop wasting bandwidth.
post #60 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
Nah...I just don't believe it.

Enough already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can you wear a pocket square to a law school party?