• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good snow boots?

Newlaw

Reaction score
Currently live in NH experiencing the blizzard.
nod[1].gif
Are you looking for purely functional boots? What are you going to be using them for? Columbia and Northface are good bets if you want to spend ~$100 and get something warm enough for -25 to -40. You can probably find decent post Christmas sales at department stores right now. That should be more than enough boot for 95% of people using them to shovel, go to the store, or work. I currently wear these, and have never had cold or wet feet. http://www.winterfootwear.com/p2328c...ter_boots.html Some of my friends that are big into winter sports and love to have the most extreme gear no matter what are into Baffin, but you honestly don't need something like that unless you plan on going to the North Pole. Finally... get quality winter wool socks. Smart Wool can be found at most stores, and my friends and family all rave. They come in a variety of thicknesses, so on really cold or wet days I had no problem wearing them all day at work. http://www.winterfootwear.com/c144-w...ool_socks.html

artoftime

Reaction score
These really go well beyond a mere Wellington - amazing in the snow
imgres-11.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of grey Columbia boots that I've had for about ten years. They look a bit like classic LL Bean boots but the upper is grey instead of tan, so (in my mind) they don't stand out when I wear them to work on a snowy day (my office is firmly business casual.) They are insanely comfortable, waterproof, and look pretty much the same as they did when I got them. I can walk for miles in them, and they are my footwear of choice when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
These really go well beyond a mere Wellington - amazing in the snow
imgres-11.jpg

Who makes these? Do they breathe at all or do you empty them of accumulated sweat after each extended wear?

Not snark, truly curious.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Sorel has the Caribou or 1964 CVS and LL Bean has the Bean Boot or the Maine Hunting Shoe. Either brand are solid choices if you want something water proof and well made. I am deciding between the 1964 and the LL Bean Signature Maine at the moment. I would provide links but you can go to Zappos for the Sorel's and Bean's site for their own.

Last winter in Maryland we ended up with more than 3 feet of snow on the ground at one time and I quickly picked up a pair of steal toe, knee high, rubber boots from Walmart so I could walk from my apt to my parking lot without getting my pants wet at the knees. They also came in handy when I helped dig out a bunch of girls who had their cars snowed and frozen in. The steal toe, allowed me to break up ice and hard snow around their tires with a single blow. On top of being the only man in the complex who could drive a car in the snow w/o fear and w/some skill, smashing ice in a single blow and digging out cars had it's rewards with them when we were snowed in the rest of the weekend
sly.gif

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-14-S...Boots/15229213

dtk_King

Reaction score
Boot Company by Timberland has some really nice stuff. I have a pair of their tackhead 8"s in grey/black, Vibram soles, waterproof leather, and waxed laces

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear and recommend the Chippewa 25203 "Arctic". Goodyear welted, Vibram sole, waterproof, 3M Thinsulate, etc. Great boots, made in the USA, and very attractive in brown, I think.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Sorels or Kamiks are the way to go. Key is a thickly-treaded rubber bottom with a felt insulated liner. I believe the rubber boats that posted were Le Chameau wellies, which, being leather lined, are fine for cold rain or minor slush (and also enable you to tuck in your pants. I do wear mine with a tweed overcoat on such days, as they look better than then Sorels or Kamiks I have recommended. But if you are looking at serious snow boots to wear with a down coat or parka, these are then only way to go. I have both, plus then wells. Also, for something completely different, get some Uggs, but make sure are a masculine style as every college girl rocks them. Worn without socks due tom their sheepskin lining, they are warm and comfortable.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, Sorel made really good boots. Several years ago they moved their production to China and the quality -- and insulating ability -- has gone markedly downhill.

If you want the ultimate in cold-weather boots, you want Baffin. Baffin boots are made in Canada and are the real deal. People going on arctic expeditions use Baffin boots. Of course, they make less radical models, too. But they are all excellent quality.

I've said this before. I get as annoyed as the next one about formerly-good stuff being manufactured in China. When I have a chance to support someone making an excellent product while resisting the urge to cheap-out and move production to China, I feel a moral obligation to do so, especially when they are able to do it at a competitive price.

Sorel moved production to China to save money. But most of the money they saved they have had to plow back into marketing. Baffin makes a much better boot but does not have the margins to spend on advertising that Sorel does. Guess which approach I support?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads