I'm contemplating buying some off their site. I'm assuming they'll have the newer soles on them. I'm hoping they don't have any issues.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Van Ness Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- brandCole Haantagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- brandDeer Stagstagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- categoryDress Lace Upstagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- brandEccotagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- itemFlorsheim Men's Lemar Cap-Toe Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- brandSebagotagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
- topicShell Cordovantagged by SYSTEM, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- *** FINAL PRICE DROP *** ALLEN EDMONDS CAMBRIDGE SHELL CORDOVAN. EXCELLENT CONDITION. SIZE 9 Last post on 4/16/13 at 11:59am in Marketplace
- "Make an offer" Shell Color #8 Unworn Allen Edmonds Hamilton Penny loafers Awesome... Last post on 1/12/13 at 10:00am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Whats' your favorite brand of shoe and why? Last post on 11/17/13 at 8:43am in Classic Menswear
- Hard to fit Last post on 7/22/12 at 2:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Looking for a versatile dress shoe Last post on 7/7/12 at 4:10pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ecco Shoes? - Page 5
Styles mentioned in this thread:
Thought I'd update this after a couple of recent experiences. I've now had two pairs of Eccos soles disintegrate the way other posters have described. They were both pairs that I bought on EBay and fortunately both sellers refunded me (they fell apart within weeks of purchase). What I've discovered is that there was a period several years ago when the company experimented with a new rubber formulation for their injected soles. It took them a while to discover that these things fell apart. Unfortunately, it seems, that period coincided with the period during which they were releasing their nicest-looking shoes (more natural shapes, no visible branding). I believe that the new formulation has been successful ... at least my newer shoes are still going strong ... but buyer beware with those older shoes. nothing like looking behind you and seeing a trail of rubber crumbs.
Thanks for the update. Great info and I'm glad you were able to get money back (twice?!).
I love to see updates with real experiences and ongoing impressions like this on SF.
That said, I´d say that as their styling has improved in recent years (e.g, some newer models remind me of Common Projects), there has been a modest decline in the sole quality and support. Still, the best trade-off I´ve found.
I still have my ECCOs. The soles are still going strong...in fact I would say the rubber sole actually wears better than any of the leather sole models I have. I took reasonable care of them and the uppers are still soft and supple and polish up nicely. They are easily the lightest and most comfortable dress shoes I own. They probably could go another 100 wearings before they go in the trash. But now I only wear them now on rainy days. There's nothing wrong with them but after having "nicer" shoes, I just find them ugly and uninspired. The shape of the last, the depth of color in the brown shoes, the sleekness of a leather sole, the history behind the manufacturing process all draw me to the "nicer" shoes. But honestly, I don't think any two pairs of my "nice" shoes would have held up any better than the ECCOs under the same conditions.
Having "nice" shoes is a luxury. I don't buy the argument that AEs, Alden's, or any other nice shoe is a better value than the ECCOs. They aren't. But they are more interesting. The only question is what's that worth to you?
Former Ecco shoe owner here. They were certainly more comfortable than any welted leather soled dress shoes I have ever had for walking any real distance, and indescructable. I'd still have them if I had bought a pair that was even remotely aesthetically pleasing (black, apron toe is what i had gotten at the time) This thread has made me consider going out a purchasing a pair or Ecco (or Rockport or Mephisto) for daily commute wear. I regularly walk 30 minutes each way through Manhattan, in all weather, which is hell on good shoes and occasionally my feet. I can leave a few pairs of good shoes in my office. I refuse to wear sneakers as some do with a jacket and dress trousers. They are making a chukka that might fit the bill.
again, i'm not saying they are as beautiful as egs or aldens (even not seconds!). but for someone with chronic foot problems, they are a godsend.
- Ecco Shoes?
- › Cordovan by Cap'n 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 8 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 12TH SEPTEMBER 2014: The Green Jacket Challenge 8 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 8 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)