• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Tax Refund at Airport?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am leaving Paris tomorrow and am unsure how to get my tax refund back. Can someone explain the process please?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get mine direct deposited to my bank account.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Do you mean sale tax from items that you bought in the US?

I don't think US has that kind of law for giving sale tax to tourists or anybody.

Am I missing something?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tax refund??? or vat???

Bartolo

Reaction score
There will be a small office in the terminal where you go to apply for your VAT refund. Note, generally you MUST have the items in your possession, not just the receipts. They can and will refuse you if you've packed the items and just show up with receipts.

There are various options to get the money, such as getting it credited to your credit card.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
There will be a small office in the terminal where you go to apply for your VAT refund. Note, generally you MUST have the items in your possession, not just the receipts. They can and will refuse you if you've packed the items and just show up with receipts.

There are various options to get the money, such as getting it credited to your credit card.

Correct, so go before you check in any bags. Arrive early because that ******* line is always really long. Getting the credit on your card is always preferable to me, because getting cash means you have to stand in another long line
ffffuuuu.gif
not to mention getting shafted on the x-rate

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you guys missed a step

1) buy goods
2) ask for "tax free" receipt at the store
3) fill out tax free receipts (name,address, etc)
4) bring the goods and receipts to the VAT office at the airport from which you are departing the EU
5) Present receipts (and goods if requested)
6) Get your refund in cash or on credit card

Note: you only get part of your VAT back, the rest goes to processing fees by the VAT refund company

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think you guys missed a step

1) buy goods
2) ask for "tax free" receipt at the store
3) fill out tax free receipts (name,address, etc)
4) bring the goods and receipts to the VAT office at the airport from which you are departing the EU
5) Present receipts (and goods if requested)
6) Get your refund in cash or on credit card

Note: you only get part of your VAT back, the rest goes to processing fees by the VAT refund company

I don't think that's necessary. Some stores just give out regular receipts. As long as you have
1) the original receipt,
2) the item,
3) your passport,
you should be fine. I did it for my mom.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
I don't think that's necessary. Some stores just give out regular receipts. As long as you have

It depends. I think the country is what matters but if you go to a store with the tax free sticker in the window and ask them for tax free they'll know what to do. Also some places don't need to see the items. When I left Singapore and Denmark they didnt ask to see anything. In fact, I've never been asked to show anything leaving the EU.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Good lord this sounds like a pain **********.

Its not. Its annoying but you can only get it for purchases over like 100 Euro so filling out a form to get a fairly substantial amount of money back is worth it. I mean, you're already going to be waiting at the airport.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Also some places don't need to see the items. When I left Singapore and Denmark they didnt ask to see anything. In fact, I've never been asked to show anything leaving the EU.

My understanding is that the guy at the counter has the right to see the item if he asks, but usually they don't bother because they know it's a huge hassle to open your suitcase pull it out, and put it all back when there's a long lineup. I've went through the UK several times and on 2 or 3 occassions they asked to see it, the rest of the time they just said "you have it with you, right?" and moved along to the next person.

sierra

Reaction score
The store gives you a form at the point of sale, which a store rep signs. You fill out your info (passport #, etc) and present it to the VAT counter with your plane ticket as proof that you are leaving the country. The guy at the counter stamps the form, and you can either get a refund at the airport, or mail the form in the pre-addressed envelope that the store gave you, and get a cc refund a few weeks later.

I see you departed Paris a week ago. Hope you had fun.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
My understanding is that the guy at the counter has the right to see the item if he asks, but usually they don't bother because they know it's a huge hassle to open your suitcase pull it out, and put it all back when there's a long lineup. I've went through the UK several times and on 2 or 3 occassions they asked to see it, the rest of the time they just said "you have it with you, right?" and moved along to the next person.
They'll probably ask to see the higher value items. Last time we were in Paris our highest value purchase was a purse, and the agent asked to see that. My wife of course already had it slung over her shoulder so that was not a hassle
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads