or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why Men Like Black Pants and Oversized Clothes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Men Like Black Pants and Oversized Clothes - Page 2

post #16 of 67
Over the course of months of reading SF, and with no other influence other than my street observations, I have been swayed by the arguments that black is generally not flattering and should only be deployed with great care (which is more moderate a poasition than a lot of people take here).

I encourage people to leave this thread alone and take a look at old posts. I dare say that this is the biggest style-related controversy that comes up on SF, and every single, last, possible argument has been well articulated already. Twice.
post #17 of 67
nevermind
post #18 of 67
Personally I believe gray, especially mottled gray flannel hides dirt better.
post #19 of 67
Black is one of many color options and those who find it boring can just not do it. I too can't see why it is worthy of special attention--one way or the other.
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Black is one of many color options and those who find it boring can just not do it. I too can't see why it is worthy of special attention--one way or the other.

Here here! Get over it guys! FWIW, I love black! And wear it regularly.
post #21 of 67
I like black. Black is especially fine for leather trench coats, and designer clothing. In fact, today I wore a black Verri Uomo by Martijn Bal dress shirt with a white V crossing the shirt, and grey striped Martin Margiela Line 14 trousers.
post #22 of 67
I wear black a lot. I actually like to wear it to work now and then (where it's quite unique), but I sometimes prefer not to wear it when going out at night: at many places, black is a bit of a "uniform", everybody is wearing it, and I had enough of uniforms when doing my military service.
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Black disguises wrinkles and many fit problems. It hides dirt, and it makes color matching easier (and accomodates the one, black pair of shoes that many men own, as someone else mentioned).
Yes, for years I favoured black jeans for that reason, and for years I only used black shoes.
Not until I "settled down" and thus allowed my wardrobe to increase beyond the limit of what can be packed into two suitcases when you change your residence, I started to actually enjoy more complex colour combinations.
post #24 of 67
If you are creative and can carry it, then you can wear anything you darned well please.

I personally prefer the short black jeans without a belt, black velcro tennis shoes, and a silk short sleeve dress shirt tucked in, but that's just me.
post #25 of 67
I like black trousers and a grey sports jacket and black shoes. I cant see why so many find it unappropriate.
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago
Technically a golf shirt should be big to allow full movement with little or no restriction (you'll see a lot of players with shirts that are supposedly "big"). In the end it comes down to comfort, not fashion. Considering the man is #3 in the world, and unless you've suddenly jumped to #2 (lord knows someone needs to take it away from Phil), maybe the advice on how to walk the course is coming from the wrong guy.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. So, Tiger's no good because his shirts are tight?

We saw what happened to Mr. #3 at the Ryder Cup - bitch-slapped by someone who was not #2. Maybe it's time to try a tighter shirt - like, say, the Euros wore.

He wears loose shirts because - like 99% of all golfers and 99.8% of all American males - he doesn't know any better.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. So, Tiger's no good because his shirts are tight?

We saw what happened to Mr. #3 at the Ryder Cup - bitch-slapped by someone who was not #2. Maybe it's time to try a tighter shirt - like, say, the Euros wore.

He wears loose shirts because - like 99% of all golfers and 99.8% of all American males - he doesn't know any better.


Yes ! by the way the polo shirts have a elastic waving for that reason...

I do like black, but never oversized clothes...
post #28 of 67
Oversized - uhmmm no.
Black pants - only when I wait tables.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Yes ! by the way the polo shirts have a elastic waving for that reason...

I do like black, but never oversized clothes...

How about black, oversized clothes: I think it's the accessories and accents that really make this outfit *work*.

post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
My favorite is the polo/golf shirt that is worn two sizes too big, such that the sleeves go down past the elbow, to the forearm. Jim Furyk, are you reading this? (so, while I understand your comments, I disagree) To answer the second poster: black pants are a sure sign of a lack of imagination and therefore, we decided collectively that they are bad.
Ah, nuts to that. Today I am wearing: Gray RL Polo custom fit polo shirt (its fitted, not oversized at all, I don’t wear baggy clothes) Black GAP cotton pants Black suede, To Boot New York ‘Rolo’ casual shoes Frankly, I look perfectly well dressed for work / class. Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why Men Like Black Pants and Oversized Clothes