• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are leather jackets supposed to be fitted?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it all depends on the person but I wanted to know your take.

I've a brown leather jacket that looks more like a coat versus a bomber or a motorcycle. I got it at banana republic when i was younger, 2002, and I still have it. Its in great condition but when I put it on today, it was big. Am I able to tailor leather jackets? If so, how much would it be?

Thanks

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Amen to the "oversized" comment. I had a Filson Halsey that was supposed to be an heirloom piece and dumped it for this very reason. Very corny looking with the big, open bottom. Went with a Schott--also they are made in the USA (as opposed to China.) And at $500 or so, a great price. you don't want a leather jacket that screams "department store." Also have an Aero--check those out, too.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think I should cut my losses or tailor it (just needs to have the sides taken in and POSSIBLY the sleeves shortened)? I guess I'm trying to figure out if a leather jacket needs to be tailored similar to a blazer.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
well, the thing with leather jackets, IF you can actually alter the thing ( i dunno) youre going to have to deal with the huge armholes leftover from the previous size.
that's the key. anything else i can deal with the fit but the shoulder and armholes got to fit (or err on the tight side) in leather jackets or it will look hideous.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
nothing is worse than an oversized leather jacket.

on the flipside, i really dont understand the skin-tight look that makes it look like someone painted latex on the person. but that's just me and i dont knw anything.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
on the flipside, i really dont understand the skin-tight look that makes it look like someone painted latex on the person. but that's just me and i dont knw anything.

oh trust me, i'm not going for that look. maybe here in west hollywood but not for me. i want it to fit like a blazer and able to wear a sweater or dress shirt underneath

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fitted looks better than loose. As with everything, there is such thing as too much of a good thing, and tight does not equal fitted. Motorcyle jackets look particularly "correct" fitted as they serve a function with a good fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads