or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 50 Book Challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 50 Book Challenge - Page 81

post #1201 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

102. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Phillip Dick 1968

LIST

Chronicles the day of a police bounty hunter in San Francisco in the years after the war (yes- THAT war). Androids are illegal, and the hunter's job is to kill them. He gets 8 in one day- Clit Eastwood with a laser.

Also some insight between the human and android psyche.

Liked it.

Absolutely classic book, and whilst the film (Blade Runner) was good - particularly in regard to the visual atmosphere - the book was unsurprisingly much better at delving into the psyche of Rick Deckard and other people and also got quite metaphysical at times.
post #1202 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

102. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Phillip Dick 1968

LIST

Chronicles the day of a police bounty hunter in San Francisco in the years after the war (yes- THAT war). Androids are illegal, and the hunter's job is to kill them. He gets 8 in one day- Clit Eastwood with a laser.

Also some insight between the human and android psyche.

Liked it.

Androids have a psyche?
post #1203 of 2053

1. The Undivided pt 1

2. The Undivided pt 2

3. No Country for Old Men

4. The Difference Engine

5. Wake in Fright

6. The River of Doubt

7. The Pearl

8. Crytonomicon

9. Shot in the Dark

10. Malcolm X - Biography

11. Final Empire

12. The Quiet American.

13. Habibi

14. The Invisible Man

15. Tender is the Night

16. Guardians of the West

17. King of the Murgos

18. Demon lord of Khandar

19. Sorcress of Darshiva

20. Seeress of Kell

21. Once We Were Warriors

22. Winter of our Discontent

23. Othello

24. A Scanner Darkly

25. The Well of Ascension

26. Hero of Ages

27. Alloy of Law

28. Marrow

29. The Prince

30. Leviathan Wakes

31. The Meaning of Sarkozy

32. The Death of Ivan Illych

33. The Devil

34. Lucifer's Hammer

35. The Yiddish Policeman's Union

36. Rainbows End

37. Palimpsest

38. Red Shirts

39. Caliban's War

40. The Ocean at the End of the Lane

41. The Communist Hypothesis

42. While Mortals Sleep

43. Spin

44. Werewolves in their Youth

45. Heart of Darkness

46. A Model World

47. Throne of the Crescent Moon

48. Darkness at Noon

49. Abaddon's Gate

50.  Into the WIld

51. Ready Player One

52. 1Q84

 

Haruki Murakami's novel follows the characters of Aomomame and Tengo as they become involved in a parallel world, a religious cult, magic and some dangerous activities. I found the prose quite enjoyable, but the intimidating length unwarranted - the first 'book' was interesting and intense, but the second really became lethargic and anticlimactic. The third was saved by the introduction of a third/fourth main character, but was left someone unresolved.

 

Not a bad book by any stretch, and Murakami is clearly a competant writer, but the narrative itself fell flat for me, although the quality of the prose continued to  buoy the book up.

post #1204 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Androids have a psyche?

In "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" (or DADOES) they do, as androids in Dick's book are different from what most people think of when they picture androids.

In DADOES, they are essentially organic simulacra of humans, that function in the same way as humans but which have been deliberately created to serve humans on worlds other than earth. They differ from humans mainly in their empathic response to stimuli (such as an animal being hurt) and thus are essentially sociopathic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

...The third was saved by the introduction of a third/fourth main character, but was left somewhat unresolved.

Not a bad book by any stretch, and Murakami is clearly a competant writer, but the narrative itself fell flat for me, although the quality of the prose continued to  buoy the book up.

For better or for worse, leaving various things unresolved at the end of his stories is basically a trademark of Murakami's writing.

Sometimes it's nice, as in Norwegian Wood, as it leaves you imagining what the main characters went on to do, but in other books, such as Sputnik Satellite, it can be quite frustrating as it leaves you feeling unfulfilled, as though the story finished too early, leaving too many issues unresolved, too many questions left unanswered.
post #1205 of 2053
I'm surprised about all the DADOES discussion. In scifi the book doesn't hold a candle to the real classics- Stranger in a Strange Land, Foundation, I Robot, or even Dune. And CERTAINLY not 2001.

Not sure what the fuss is about.
post #1206 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

I'm surprised about all the DADOES discussion. In scifi the book doesn't hold a candle to the real classics- Stranger in a Strange Land, Foundation, I Robot, or even Dune. And CERTAINLY not 2001.

Not sure what the fuss is about.

 

What the actual fuck Steve? DADOES is ONE of the classics - it's a forerunner to so much SF including the entire cyberpunk movement. Foundation is a snooze, but DADOES is easily the equal of SIASL, Dune (which has awful, truly awful sequels) and IR.

 

This is not up for, like, discussion.

post #1207 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

For better or for worse, leaving various things unresolved at the end of his stories is basically a trademark of Murakami's writing.

Sometimes it's nice, as in Norwegian Wood, as it leaves you imagining what the main characters went on to do, but in other books, such as Sputnik Satellite, it can be quite frustrating as it leaves you feeling unfulfilled, as though the story finished too early, leaving too many issues unresolved, too many questions left unanswered.

While a lack of resolution in a shorter text is fine, it seems kind of, I don't know, churlish in a novel of 1000 pages.

post #1208 of 2053
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1. The Undivided pt 1

2. The Undivided pt 2

3. No Country for Old Men

4. The Difference Engine

5. Wake in Fright

6. The River of Doubt

7. The Pearl

8. Crytonomicon

9. Shot in the Dark

10. Malcolm X - Biography

11. Final Empire

12. The Quiet American.

13. Habibi

14. The Invisible Man

15. Tender is the Night

16. Guardians of the West

17. King of the Murgos

18. Demon lord of Khandar

19. Sorcress of Darshiva

20. Seeress of Kell

21. Once We Were Warriors

22. Winter of our Discontent

23. Othello

24. A Scanner Darkly

25. The Well of Ascension

26. Hero of Ages

27. Alloy of Law

28. Marrow

29. The Prince

30. Leviathan Wakes

31. The Meaning of Sarkozy

32. The Death of Ivan Illych

33. The Devil

34. Lucifer's Hammer

35. The Yiddish Policeman's Union

36. Rainbows End

37. Palimpsest

38. Red Shirts

39. Caliban's War

40. The Ocean at the End of the Lane

41. The Communist Hypothesis

42. While Mortals Sleep

43. Spin

44. Werewolves in their Youth

45. Heart of Darkness

46. A Model World

47. Throne of the Crescent Moon

48. Darkness at Noon

49. Abaddon's Gate

50.  Into the WIld

51. Ready Player One

52. 1Q84

53. Red Pony

 

53. Red Pony

 

A collection of 4 episodes set in a ranch near Salinas. One of Steinbeck's first novels/novellas the stories demonstrate classic Steinbeck qualities - futility, disaster, futility and inability. Completely fine reading, but hardly his best.

post #1209 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

What the actual fuck Steve? DADOES is ONE of the classics - it's a forerunner to so much SF including the entire cyberpunk movement. Foundation is a snooze, but DADOES is easily the equal of SIASL, Dune (which has awful, truly awful sequels) and IR.

This is not up for, like, discussion.

I think it's a generational thing.

I love SF although very little is on The List.

Quit bitching and post some books I'd like.
post #1210 of 2053
Clockwise counting 78/50: Kazuo Ishiguro - When We Were Orphans (2000)

An English boy in Shanghai loses both his parents under mysterious circumstances. He is sent back to England to be raised by a rich aunt. As an adult he becomes a celebrated detective in London and he decides to return to Shanghai to find his parents, convinced they that are many years later still held by kidnappers. This is the late 1930s and the local Shanghai government is under attack by both the Japanese and the communist revolutionaries.

The detective, as a grown man, still views the world through a child's eyes. The detection work in war-time Shanghai is presented in a dreamlike way. The whole story is implausible albeit well written in Iziguro's trade-mark 19th century narrating style. 

Maybe not Ishiguro's best but nevertheless an enjoyable read.
post #1211 of 2053
Clockwise counting 79/50: Stella Rimington - Secret Asset (2006)

The 2nd book in the series about Liz Carlyle, a pretty and smart agent in the world of counter-espionage. Rimington, as the former head of MI5, should be able to write more complex and more insightful novels about a world she knows so intimately. Instead, these books are low-octane Bond / Bourne imitations. In this one MI5 is flushing out a mole, originally planted by IRA, and trying to prevent some radicalised English Pakistanis from committing an act of terror. Acceptable as low grade entertainment but not much more.
post #1212 of 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

I think it's a generational thing.

I love SF although very little is on The List.

Quit bitching and post some books I'd like.

The Windup Girl written by Paolo Bacigalupi. A brilliant and captivating read. Especially for those who know Bangkok.
post #1213 of 2053

TWG is fantastic.

post #1214 of 2053
Science Fiction?

How many pages?
post #1215 of 2053
It's a great book. Yes, scifi. And it's not long. Maybe 300ish or so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 50 Book Challenge