or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Purple Label Vs....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purple Label Vs....

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Another newbie post here, sorry to be bothersome. I'm working on upgrading my wardrobe from cheap to luxury as I have established some pocket change. I'm in my early 20's but I have the financial freedom to do this fortunately so here's my question...

Is there a huge quality difference between say, a Brooks Brothers white shirt and a Purple Label white shirt? It may be a dumb question but is it something a fashion novice could appreciate it or is simply for the label? I feel like establishing luxury in staple items like a couple of simple white shirts will go a long way.... Amirite?
post #2 of 19
Depends on which Brooks Brothers shirt it is. There are several variants. The non-iron imported shirts are not very good, but the Luxury All Cotton, made in the USA are quite nice. They can be had 2 for $200 online right now. I don't own any Purple Label shirts so I can't comment on their quality. Honestly though, if you're looking at this price range consider MTM (Made to Measure). I have purchased several shirts from Propercloth.com, also made in the USA, and am very happy with them. They have a wide selection of fabrics and options.
post #3 of 19
Everything depends on the quality of the fabric and the quality of the tailoring. A bespoke shirt -- that is, custom made -- can often be had for less money than RLPL or off the rack Charvet. If you want to put money into shirts, you'll get the best fit by going bespoke. But some people love labels. If you're the type who like LV monogram stuff because it says LV on it, then by all means, go for the label.

This isn't a slam on RLPL, by the way. The stuff I've seen looks good, although I've never owned any.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
Depends on which Brooks Brothers shirt it is. There are several variants. The non-iron imported shirts are not very good, but the Luxury All Cotton, made in the USA are quite nice. They can be had 2 for $200 online right now.

I don't own any Purple Label shirts so I can't comment on their quality.

Honestly though, if you're looking at this price range consider MTM (Made to Measure). I have purchased several shirts from Propercloth.com, also made in the USA, and am very happy with them. They have a wide selection of fabrics and options.


Great link, thank you! I'm not in love with the label but obviously I do like what RL has therefore I went to them first. I'm really just looking for some nice white shirts that aren't transparent and are crisp/well fitting. Very broad, I know.
post #5 of 19
I am not at all impressed by RLPL (Lorenzini) shirts, now their suits (SantAndrea) are awesome....shirts are just ok and IMO the weakest link in the RLPL line. Regards.
post #6 of 19
Speaking without Styleforum group-think goggles on — in terms of quality Golden Fleece (Brook's best line) is on par with Polo Ralph Ralph Lauren. Brook's other stuff is on par with what you'd find at a mid-level dept. store (Macy's, Dillards, etc.). I'd equate the quality to Claiborne or Stafford. In terms of aesthetics, Brook's apparel isn't stylish (nor has it been for many years), and for that reason alone, I can't recommend it. But, as usual, most people here are fixated on only one part of the picture (quality), and not the whole.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
I am not at all impressed by RLPL (Lorenzini) shirts, now their suits (SantAndrea) are awesome....shirts are just ok and IMO the weakest link in the RLPL line. Regards.
The suits are good, I like them.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
Speaking without Styleforum group-think goggles on "” in terms of quality Golden Fleece (Brook's best line) is on par with Polo Ralph Ralph Lauren. Brook's other stuff is on par with what you'd find at a mid-level dept. store (Macy's, Dillards, etc.). I'd equate the quality to Claiborne or Stafford.

In terms of aesthetics, Brook's apparel isn't stylish (nor has it been for many years), and for that reason alone, I can't recommend it. But, as usual, most people here are fixated on only one part of the picture (quality), and not the whole.

Golden fleece is much better than Polo. GF is full canvassed whereas Polo isn't, there is some handwork on GF suits. GF cut may not work for you but it's definitely better than PRL.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
I am not at all impressed by RLPL (Lorenzini) shirts, now their suits (SantAndrea) are awesome....shirts are just ok and IMO the weakest link in the RLPL line.

Regards.

I find their shirts to be very inconsistent. Some are nice but others are very mediocre, especially their plain white broadcloth shirt which they have every year, and even prefer the polo version of it.
post #10 of 19
I've owned a couple purple label shirts and i find them to be very "blousy". I ended up donating them after a couple wears. If you like slimmer/fitted shirts like I do, stay away from purple label.
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Definitely don't like the blousy feel to shirts, makes me feel guido or something.
post #12 of 19
I think fit should be your primary consideration in buying shirts. I personally find BB shirts too large through the body and have never tried RLPL shirts (I now buy BB MTM shirts, since I'm too tall and thin to get a proper fit RTW).
post #13 of 19
depends on the line of dress shirt from bb. also the fabric on the purple label may be somewhat a better grade than bb's mainline.

however, both fit amorphously uninteresting
post #14 of 19
i have a ton of bb white shirts. the golden fleece shirts are excellent quality and not at all transparent but their fit is on the looser side, the luxury line is pretty good the broadcloth is slightly transparent, i find the textured versions to lose their crisp look especially the non iron.

i just got a beautiful ascot chang white basketweave shirt great fit thick cloth not at all transparent amazing collar. i would like to go bespoke with them but i havent had the chance to get to their shop in ny

if you have the coin certainly go mtm or bespoke
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
I can't go with bespoke right now because I'm currently working out five times a week and I feel like taking measurements for a shirt is useless if they are going to be different in 6 months. I guess I shouldn't be investing in expensive shirts either way but I digress... What about the quality of J.Press in comparison to BB's standard line? Certainly more affordable and I like the preppy style and colors/patterns. So many options to build my wardrobe upon... can't decide! Is there a method to this madness besides buying one of each and deciding the go-to from there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Purple Label Vs....