or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sport Coat Lapel Question - ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sport Coat Lapel Question - ?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Please forgive me for the utterly appalling paint picture! I saw a blazer with a lapel such as the one below whereby one side featured a "tab" so that if the collar was propped up it could clasp to cover the neck....I am trying to find an image of this on the net as I want to have a jacket made with one of these but have no idea what this style of lapel is called. Do any of you lads know, or am I crazy?

post #2 of 12

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Ah, thanks! It is very similar to the second coat you posted. Is there a name for that type of lapel?
post #4 of 12
It's a hunting collar designed for the windy climate where you can raise the lapels up, and thus button up the entire thing. It looks like a Nehru collar when done up.
post #5 of 12
Don't get it on a suit coat though. Shannon Sharpe wears this often - today, in fact - and it is one of the worst looks I've yet seen on a retired football star.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I want to get it on a nice tweed sport coat and will probably not actually button it up fully...I just really like the look of it.
post #7 of 12
Are you watching Lynley? It's called a throat latch, and is to some degree more common on riding and hunting jackets. I'm fond of them, as they suit my lifestyle, and I have them on my hunting jackets. STP has a looovvvvelllly Beretta jacket with that detail for ~200.00 USD or so, Regards, Huntsman
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
I don't know what Lynley is

Thanks for the info. though!

I have found a few more jackets with this collar whilst searching "hunting jackets" per your recommendation. There is a particularly nice one by Orvis, although I don't know the quality by the picture.....
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Are you watching Lynley? It's called a throat latch, and is to some degree more common on riding and hunting jackets. I'm fond of them, as they suit my lifestyle, and I have them on my hunting jackets. STP has a looovvvvelllly Beretta jacket with that detail for ~200.00 USD or so,

Regards,
Huntsman

Huntsman,

Do you ride or are we talking upland game/driven shooting?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN
Huntsman,

Do you ride or are we talking upland game/driven shooting?

I don't ride, but I am correcting that in spring -- we are surrounded by horses, and it is something I have always felt I needed to know. I do hunt upland, however, and shoot a good deal of sporting clays which is where my jackets see the most use (thanks to needing to wear the bloody orange most of the time when hunting). Generally I just meant that the outdoors/sporting interests are essential to me, though more in a tweed way than a North Face way.

And you? Presumably you ride, though?

~Huntsman
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't ride, but I am correcting that in spring -- we are surrounded by horses, and it is something I have always felt I needed to know. I do hunt upland, however, and shoot a good deal of sporting clays which is where my jackets see the most use (thanks to needing to wear the bloody orange most of the time when hunting). Generally I just meant that the outdoors/sporting interests are essential to me, though more in a tweed way than a North Face way.

And you? Presumably you ride, though?

~Huntsman

I don't ride, but a good friend's wife runs a hunt about four hours South of me, so I attend their parties and pose.

I do hunt upland game though (mainly grouse here in Michigan), and am trying to get out and shoot clays more often these days.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso


Detail on the lower scan is great! Very fitting for fall/winter tweed jacket IMHO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sport Coat Lapel Question - ?