or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see - Page 18

post #256 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Foo does seem to attract these sort of attacks. I think it is his OCD-like nature when it comes to clothing and his sometimes bizarre, inflexible, intractable views, coupled with his Tokyo-Slim like inability to walk away from any kind of dissent. Every thread he begins therefore starts out somewhat bizarrely, and can never end because he can't let it go, and a critical mass of haters cannot either.
I hesitate to complain about that thread because there are some legitimately interesting and funny posts, but some of the people in there are trying too hard and some others just plain suck. As for Foo threads always degenerating into something like this, blaming him for that is akin to blaming a rape victim for wearing provocative clothing. To the extent that he has haters, they should be able to disagree with him without dragging the entire thread down into an acrimonious mess.
post #257 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that there are several posts in Foo's Hermes wallet thread that illustrate a variety of the things this thread has identified as unhelpful to the overall tone and direction of SF? There are several posts in that thread entirely free of useful content. The posts are some combination of borderline misogyny, unfunny attempts to mimic vox's (occasionally funny) snark, and just outright douchebaggery.



I agree and I think that's an example of what I'm trying to point out as well. Joking around is ok for a bit but it gets carried away and repetitive and takes away from posts and the forum.

I don't post a lot because of this. It's easier to look elsewhere for answers (especially for current events) than to even to attempt posting because it's just a waste of time, tons of snark, and off topic stuff which, while some of it may be funny, most of it isn't.

The problem seems to be that it's a gray area as, for example, Foo's Hermes thread is a great thread but a lot of the snark is unnecessary and not needed. Maybe it's up to the mod's to decide when to let a thread go and to clamp down but I imagine that mods can't monitor every new and continuious thread as that would get ridiculously time consuming.
post #258 of 357
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying foo deserves any of the low blows that pour in. The bull post and its ilk are inexcusable under any circumstances. I'm merely trying to put my finger on why I think his threads always turn into 100-page slapfests. It's hard to just blame "haters" in general - those same "haters" run throughout the site and don't make anyone else's threads explode. I've often disagreed with foo - you might even have called me a "hater." I'm not - I like foo - but I quickly found that disagreeing with him is useless. You can just go on for pages and pages without ever being able to get to any kind of accord. Over time, yes, that type of personality does bring out the crowd.
post #259 of 357
Mafoofan is unique. I am not sure that he is an illuminating example for any other phenomena.
post #260 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Incorrect.

post #261 of 357
All the useless posts like "In b4 DT", "tl;dr", and to a lesser extent image macros, need to go. We didn't have this kind of 4chan/Something Awful-type behavior when I joined the forum around 2002 and I think it has really decreased the maturity level of the forum, drives away newbies, and undermines the credibility of the forum. Sometimes non-forum people ask me about clothing advice, and I consider sending them a link to a forum thread, then decide against it because of all the dumb posts on here. Ideally I'd like to see these posts deleted, with a PM sent to the poster. If we can keep this up for a week or so I think people will quickly get the point and the norms will change.
post #262 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
All the useless posts like "In b4 DT", and to a lesser extent image macros, need to go. We didn't have this kind of 4chan/Something Awful-type behavior when I joined the forum around 2002 and I think it has really decreased the maturity level of the forum, drives away newbies, and undermines the credibility of the forum. Sometimes non-forum people ask me about clothing advice, and I consider sending them a link to a forum thread, then decide against it because of all the dumb posts on here.

Ideally I'd like to see these posts deleted, with a PM sent to the poster. If we can keep this up for a week or so I think people will quickly get the point and the norms will change.

I disagree strongly.

Not only would it be a colossal task for the mods to root out all the familiarity out of the site, to the point where only completely on-topic posts were allowed, but it would take out all the fun.

It's true, it would probably make the site more useful to those who aren't on it, but it would make it less fun for those who are. I'll let you do the math on where that leaves the community.
post #263 of 357
I'm not proposing the removal of all banter, but the specifically Something Awful-type posts that are less than a sentence long and entirely in internet-speak. What is the point of "In b4 DT"? It's not clever or funny.
post #264 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoood View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Foo's threads draw a lot of posts because he knows his 'audience' and which of their buttons to push through his writing. A lot of it has to do with personality, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had done some writing even before TitC. I bet he secretly (or not so secretly) enjoys the overwhelming response his threads get, and why shouldn't he? Every forum needs at least one guy like him, he's a true asset.
i disagree, because that implies that every forum also needs an army of fucking idiots to worship/fight that guy all the time. fwiw, i disagree that foo is "that guy"
post #265 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
I'm not proposing the removal of all banter, but the specifically Something Awful-type posts that are less than a sentence long and entirely in internet-speak.

What is the point of "In b4 DT"? It's not clever or funny.

to me, at least, 'In b4 DT' indicates that a thread is either stupid from the outset, or has gone off the rails. That way it's apparent that I'm in a bad thread.
post #266 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I disagree strongly.

Not only would it be a colossal task for the mods to root out all the familiarity out of the site, to the point where only completely on-topic posts were allowed, but it would take out all the fun.

It's true, it would probably make the site more useful to those who aren't on it, but it would make it less fun for those who are. I'll let you do the math on where that leaves the community.

^^ agree.

And IBDT = "In my opinion, this thread is too dumb to be in the general population. It's only a matter of time until a mod sees it and moves it where it belongs"

Obviously, this statement is not quite as profound as a JefferyD explanation on why Caraceni machine-pad their lapel, but that would be setting the bar rather high.
post #267 of 357
Why is it important to tell people that? If it is dumb, then it'll get moved on its own. I see it far too often on threads that never get moved to DT. How did we handle this before the invasion of internet-speak?
post #268 of 357
is 4 letters really that annoying?
post #269 of 357
I welcome all comments, but I'm more thick skinned than most on here.
post #270 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
Why is it important to tell people that? If it is dumb, then it'll get moved on its own. I see it far too often on threads that never get moved to DT. How did we handle this before the invasion of internet-speak?
I kinda agree. It's not necessarily offensive, but it's generally just stating the obvious, and it's a really lazy way to say it. Old meme is old.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see