or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see - Page 17

post #241 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
This is just my opinion (obv) so do with it what you will.

IMO, porn or soft porn on SF = bad. Keep it in the appreciation threads

Never making real content contributions and just being full of idiocy and/or snark = bad DT

Never making any contribution other than bro-hood, misogyny, etc. = bad DT

Trolling/socks = bad Needs to go

However, part of the fun of SF is that it has a certain edginess to it. Mod'ing or peer pressuring the edge away also = bad. Yes

When the things you listed spill out of their area, then its a problem. The people who do it should be cracked down on. Otherwise let it be done where its supposed to be done at. The people who dont like it dont have to visit these places. A simple matter I feel.
post #242 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
When the things you listed spill out of their area, then its a problem. The people who do it should be cracked down on. Otherwise let it be done where its supposed to be done at. The people who dont like it dont have to visit these places. A simple matter I feel.

Sorry, I disagree. IMO, porn should not be here, in appreciation threads or otherwise. I'm not saying to eliminate racy pics, I'm drawing a bright line.

As to keeping certain things in DT...even in DT, some things really are not good for the overall character of the board. I can't see how anyone can justify concerted misogyny, as an example. I'm not talking about going PC, I'm talking about people that clearly express repeatedly that women are second class citizens. I think joshing about things like, "She'll turn into an Anglo fat wife" is just fine, but there has been a trend into violent and exploitative treatment in the last several months. Even in DT, I think we should monitor that.

I'm not in the Trans-mod bitching about you, in fact, my post you quoted was meant to be at least partially in support of the concept that SF does not need to get white bread and/or puritanical.
post #243 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
OK, a lot of talk in TransMod in the past few days about cleaning the place up a bit, and some changes in tone in the past year or so. As such, thought, I would start a thread asking you guys to suggest some rules, guidelines, or principles for SF that may help us to raise the tone a little in the coming months. I have a few.... 1. be nice to the noobs or say nothing at all. We are scaring good people away by being dicks. 2. keep the dumb threads in a place conveniently titled dumb threads 3. no socks. The only reason people start socks is to say crap they aren't man enough to say under their own name. So, then, don't say it. I have been on a bit of a rampage there and will continue to out puppeteers. So, you guys...what do you think? What do you think we need to do here. Barbarian that I am, I generally have no issue with smutty humor, and anyone from here who has met me will attest to that, I am very much a boy's boy - but there is a line between the-odd-tit-joke and 'all we talk about is tits', and we have swung a little too far in the second direction lately. We have never been a rule-governed place, and I don't think we ever will...we have however always been a tone-governed forum, and fallen back on the bar metaphor as a guideline. That's not going to change either, but we do wanna make sure we continue to have a welcoming bar that people like drinking in. Listening with interest...oh...and being a dick in this thread would really really be unwise
I don't have the time right now to read the entire thread to see if my suggestion has been made, but what about just keeping threads slightly more on topic or on track? It seems like when threads are started, they immediately go off on other tangents with snark, humor, jokes about the poster, etc. Not that that's always a bad thing (and not that I'm innocent of it either...). I'm not saying be heavy handed in moderation but maybe slightly more. Sucky topics will die off instead of being 10 page bash fests.
post #244 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Never making real content contributions and just being full of idiocy and/or snark = bad

The thing is, I like good snark. As it was practiced by the late, great Vox it was clever and witty. It seems effortless. When folks like Bull do it, though, it became just noise.

What MetroStyles excels at (at least in the Clothing threads; I don't ever see him in his home in... what is it DT or CE?) isn't anything like Vox's snark; it too is just noise.

I think my "noise" is close to what you call idiocy.

All you other bullets get a plus one.
post #245 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Sorry, I disagree. IMO, porn should not be here, in appreciation threads or otherwise. I'm not saying to eliminate racy pics, I'm drawing a bright line.

As to keeping certain things in DT...even in DT, some things really are not good for the overall character of the board. I can't see how anyone can justify concerted misogyny, as an example. I'm not talking about going PC, I'm talking about people that clearly express repeatedly that women are second class citizens. I think joshing about things like, "She'll turn into an Anglo fat wife" is just fine, but there has been a trend into violent and exploitative treatment in the last several months. Even in DT, I think we should monitor that.

I'm not in the Trans-mod bitching about you, in fact, my post you quoted was meant to be at least partially in support of the concept that SF does not need to get white bread and/or puritanical.

I didnt think you were addressing me. I agree on the porn and obvious nudity. This just isnt the forum for that. In concerns to the misogyny, I dont feel its gone overboard. Everybody knows DT is a place for crass, crude, and un-PC like behavior. I feel every forum should have something like that, and the ones I frequent do. I dont think theres any real serious woman bashing. You can tell most of it is jokey. I do see your point though. A balance needs to be found.
post #246 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post
The thing is, I like good snark. As it was practiced by the late, great Vox it was clever and witty. It seems effortless. When folks like Bull do it, though, it became just noise.

What MetroStyles excels at (at least in the Clothing threads; I don't ever see him in his home in... what is it DT or CE?) isn't anything like Vox's snark; it too is just noise.

I think my "noise" is close to what you call idiocy.

All you other bullets get a plus one.

I like good snark too. In fact, I like to think I deliver some. My comment was, if all you have is snark and/or idiocy, does the board have room for you? I'm strictly talking about the people that add absolutely nothing to the conversation in terms of original content. If all you do is snark, post idiotic questions, and never, ever contribute something you've actually done, eaten, drank, bought, wear, etc., does the tone of the board suffer from your...for lack of a better term...totally derivative e-persona?
post #247 of 357
Thread Starter 
i miss RJ. The snark was strong in that one.
post #248 of 357
And RJ seemed to have an infinite amount of time to deliver it.
Quote:
does the tone of the board suffer from your...for lack of a better term...totally derivative e-persona?
Yes, it does suffer. Agreed. By the way (and completely unrelated, promise!), I wonder how it is going to feel to be lapped by someone in post counts. Should happen by Christmas.
post #249 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13 View Post
I don't have the time right now to read the entire thread to see if my suggestion has been made, but what about just keeping threads slightly more on topic or on track?

It seems like when threads are started, they immediately go off on other tangents with snark, humor, jokes about the poster, etc. Not that that's always a bad thing (and not that I'm innocent of it either...).

I'm not saying be heavy handed in moderation but maybe slightly more. Sucky topics will die off instead of being 10 page bash fests.

the voxification of sf, a term someone else coined a long while ago, thus begat bull, ooops, sexy pics in all mc threads, ad nauseam
the nonsense and inside jokes were always there but it got much worse with people following his lead to be igent all star

the corbera incarnation stays on point, for how long i wonder
post #250 of 357
Am I the only one who thinks that there are several posts in Foo's Hermes wallet thread that illustrate a variety of the things this thread has identified as unhelpful to the overall tone and direction of SF? There are several posts in that thread entirely free of useful content. The posts are some combination of borderline misogyny, unfunny attempts to mimic vox's (occasionally funny) snark, and just outright douchebaggery.
post #251 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that ......

No. I agree.
post #252 of 357
I agree. Foo's threads tends to attract that kind of thing, and the subsequent high post counts.
post #253 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that there are several posts in Foo's Hermes wallet thread that illustrate a variety of the things this thread has identified as unhelpful to the overall tone and direction of SF? There are several posts in that thread entirely free of useful content. The posts are some combination of borderline misogyny, unfunny attempts to mimic vox's (occasionally funny) snark, and just outright douchebaggery.

good post, but replace "several" with "most of" and remove the word borderline.
post #254 of 357
Foo does seem to attract these sort of attacks. I think it is his OCD-like nature when it comes to clothing and his sometimes bizarre, inflexible, intractable views, coupled with his Tokyo-Slim like inability to walk away from any kind of dissent. Every thread he begins therefore starts out somewhat bizarrely, and can never end because he can't let it go, and a critical mass of haters cannot either.
post #255 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Foo does seem to attract these sort of attacks. I think it is his OCD-like nature when it comes to clothing and his sometimes bizarre, inflexible, intractable views, coupled with his Tokyo-Slim like inability to walk away from any kind of dissent. Every thread he begins therefore starts out somewhat bizarrely, and can never end because he can't let it go, and a critical mass of haters cannot either.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Foo's threads draw a lot of posts because he knows his 'audience' and which of their buttons to push through his writing. A lot of it has to do with personality, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had done some writing even before TitC. I bet he secretly (or not so secretly) enjoys the overwhelming response his threads get, and why shouldn't he? Every forum needs at least one guy like him, he's a true asset.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see