or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What was your starting salary (approx.)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What was your starting salary (approx.)? - Page 18

post #256 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
'Professional ethic' isn't stipulated by any national or supranational body - what type of 'ethic' is? And again, I've read your link, and I'm completely at a loss as to what you think it proves...

Houston, we have a troll on the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
The logic behind the professional as opposed the labourer is that he receives a set amount of money irrespective of actual hours worked because it is assumed that he or she works in order to achieve the conclusion of his or her task with a certain work ethic that is exclusive to the professional class...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
... but there is without a shadow of doubt a clear and palpable difference between the ethic of the professional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
They'd say that a consultant falls in line with the moral and ethical stipulations of the professional.

It was fun playing. Again, wage and hour laws determine what positions may or may not be salaried. Have fun playing in the troll park without me.
post #257 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Houston, we have a troll on the radar.

Grow up.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
It was fun playing. Again, wage and hour laws determine what positions may or may not be salaried. Have fun playing in the troll park without me.

By all means retreat...
post #258 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post

And it isn't semantics to say that a wage is hour specific whilst a salary is a periodic form of payment - this is elementary.


What if I got payed for every 2 hours of work? What about every 4 hours of work? At what periodic interval would I transition from wage to salary worker?
post #259 of 466
Oh shit. ShaneB hates bankers! Let me pull out the list: -Wall Street is greedy -Bankers are terrible people -Bankers prey on the poor -Bankers caused the financial crisis -Bankers are overpaid and have a massive bonus -Bankers take no risk and reap all the rewards Have I forgotten anything else? You do know that investment bankers didn't cause the financial crisis I hope. Otherwise there's no point in even talking to you. And why do you care if a fresh faced 22 year old grad is making what took you 10 years to earn?
post #260 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanyu View Post
What if I got payed for every 2 hours of work? What about every 4 hours of work? At what periodic interval would I transition from wage to salary worker?
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious -
Quote:
Employment law does not provide a specific definition of a wage or salary earner. However, generally speaking, the term 'wages' is used where the amount of money the employee receives may vary from one pay period to the next, as the amount paid is directly dependant on the amount of hours worked; and the term 'salary' refers to an agreed and fixed annual amount of money the employee receives regardless of the hours worked.
http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306 I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post
Oh shit. ShaneB hates bankers! Let me pull out the list: -Wall Street is greedy -Bankers are terrible people -Bankers prey on the poor -Bankers caused the financial crisis -Bankers are overpaid and have a massive bonus -Bankers take no risk and reap all the rewards Have I forgotten anything else? You do know that investment bankers didn't cause the financial crisis I hope. Otherwise there's no point in even talking to you. And why do you care if a fresh faced 22 year old grad is making what took you 10 years to earn?
I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children... It maybe news to you, but many many people from all fields and all industries have been severely critical of bankers, and the banking industry in general. And of course, you're right, bankers and the investment banks had no cause whatsoever in the recent financial debacle... unbelievable... My displeasure with bankers and banking industry (generally speaking, because you can only talk about such things generally) is not based on some tawdry jealously (which I addressed above). Many people have been critical of the sector; so please allay your tired and childish accusations of envy...
post #261 of 466
this is such a stupid, pointless argument. no ones going to convince anyone of their viewpoint, so you all might as well stop and let the thread sail on its intended course.
post #262 of 466
Determing the difference between a US vs. UK thing by quoting a New Zealand website if pure comedy gold.
post #263 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Determing the difference between a US vs. UK thing by quoting a New Zealand website if pure comedy gold.

Try and follow the line of logic -

I gather it's a UK / US divide given that the distinction between salaries & wages is a elementary point in my country; evidently, that distinction seems to have been lost amongst all and sundry in the States (for some reason). But suffice to say, there is a distinction and my citing a NZ governmental department is merely because it provides the most lucid description of the two. Care to explain to me why you take such great offence in differentiating the two types of monetary reward? Why can't you just accept what the vast majority of people already know... why argue over something so very tangential...
post #264 of 466

asasas


Edited by bingebag - 12/3/11 at 6:58pm
post #265 of 466
Something I said a dozen or so pages ago...

Starting salary vs. career upside.

Opinions on careers that start meh but end up big time?

Best one I can think of is elected office and then going into the private world as a lobbiest.
post #266 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Something I said a dozen or so pages ago...

Starting salary vs. career upside.

Opinions on careers that start meh but end up big time?

Best one I can think of is elected office and then going into the private world as a lobbiest.

This is a good point. My first job payed fairly well, which I liked, but had a flat trajectory. This sort of information isn't always easy to find prior to employment.
post #267 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious - http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306 I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing... I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children... It maybe news to you, but many many people from all fields and all industries have been severely critical of bankers, and the banking industry in general. And of course, you're right, bankers and the investment banks had no cause whatsoever in the recent financial debacle... unbelievable... My displeasure with bankers and banking industry (generally speaking, because you can only talk about such things generally) is not based on some tawdry jealously (which I addressed above). Many people have been critical of the sector; so please allay your tired and childish accusations of envy...
Jesus F. Christ are you serious? Do you get all your news from the NYT??? Do you even know what INVESTMENT BANKERS DO?????? The general public is so stupid its nauseating.
post #268 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious -

It is genuine. Please tell me what the time interval is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306

I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing...

When you say elementary, I think you mean meaningless. My pay varies 20-30% year to year at the same job. Do you know who else has a highly variable pay depending on performance? Salespeople, and of course bankers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post

I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children...


When Piob doesn't want to talk about it anymore, you beat your chest and shout taunts, yet others are children and you are the lone adult.
post #269 of 466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Something I said a dozen or so pages ago...

Starting salary vs. career upside.

Opinions on careers that start meh but end up big time?

Best one I can think of is elected office and then going into the private world as a lobbiest.
This is what I tell myself I'm working towards in order to fall asleep.
post #270 of 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post
Jesus F. Christ are you serious? Do you get all your news from the NYT??? Do you even know what INVESTMENT BANKERS DO?????? The general public is so stupid its nauseating.
Expletives aren't arguments. I find it bizarre how some in this industry can create this veneer of complexity and loftiness when in actual fact none exists, hence the general public is 'stupid' because they seemingly don't understand (in your estimation) the nuances of banking. Well, this is false - when I say criticism has been levied at bankers and the banking industry across the board I don't say so arbitrarily: probably the four top and mainly read economics blogs have periodic critiques of the banking sector and certain contributory factors in the recent economic debacle (Baseline Scenario; Naked Capitalism; Calculated Risk; von Mises - these are free-market blogs written by esteemed economists and practitioners in banking; it is for those who want informed opinion and those who want to keep abreast in the wider market / economy). Need one mention the plethora of literature that has been written in the wake of the financial fall? So many narratives contributed to the debacle that clearly I'm not levying all the blame at banking, but for someone to take the line that banking, as a sector, had no affect whatsoever strikes me as absurd. I'm at a loss as to why you think banking should be insulated from criticism, or why you take great offence when someone shows their displeasure with the industry - suffice to say, my opinions aren't based on hearsay and half-truths. I equally find the arrogance and condescension of bankers nauseating, especially when the 'stupid general public' subsidises seemingly private enterprises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanyu View Post
It is genuine. Please tell me what the time interval is. When you say elementary, I think you mean meaningless. My pay varies 20-30% year to year at the same job. Do you know who else has a highly variable pay depending on performance? Salespeople, and of course bankers. When Piob doesn't want to talk about it anymore, you beat your chest and shout taunts, yet others are children and you are the lone adult.
Yes they receive commissions or bonuses as an appendage to their salary - so that's a moot point. And there is no arbitrary 'time interval' for what constitutes a salary or a wage - I think that definition adequately determines the differentiation. I haven't thrown any taunts? The whole pointless argument is twofold: 1) Because I don't fall to my knees at the much fabled bankers I'm criticised. For some reason banking / bankers should be insulated from critiques (and all from making the comment that I'm unimpressed with industry - well cry me a river because views of a similar vain aren't esoteric in wider industry or informed opinion) 2) Because I make the valid differentiation between salaries and wages. People for some reason took offence to that - I can't explain why other than they want an argument - now that is childish. But enough is enough - this is really a pointless and trivial discussion - I'm the first to admit that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What was your starting salary (approx.)?