or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What was your starting salary (approx.)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What was your starting salary (approx.)? - Page 12

post #166 of 473
Electrical Engineering, $65k with tremendous benefits. At a (very) large company.
post #167 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaconshome View Post
ratboycom

I work with kids who have Autism. I'm going into the mental health field - a line of work that typically is underpaid and overworked, but nonetheless it is what I want to do.
Big props to you. Certainly an underpaid and overworked field.
You can still make a decent living if you play your cards right. Although once looked down upon, going to a state or county agency can be a good career move. PM if you need any more info.
post #168 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
They're overpaid. Boutique, as in small company, paying 65k for a graduate for a fresh faced 21/22 year old? Unbelievable and to be honest I'm not sure I believe it.

Overpaid or not, that's your opinion. But they sure as hell are making 60-65K. I have zero reason to lie here.
post #169 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Overpaid or not, that's your opinion. But they sure as hell are making 60-65K. I have zero reason to lie here.

I believe you.
post #170 of 473
$33K, in San Francisco, in 1999. I also had a stock options package that, on paper, was worth almost a half-million after about 4 months on the job. But by the time anything vested, it was all underwater. Damn. It was hard to get by on $33K then. I may have rooted through iammatt's trash at some point scavenging for food. I say that because there was one guy who would put a tiny little morsel of trash in the middle of a large, otherwise pristine garbage can.
post #171 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post
This thread seems to be filled with rampant dishonesty. Either SF is filled with bankers or we have some salary inflation going on here.
It's self-selecting. The folks with impressive starting salaries post more. SF does have its share of bankers, consultants and engineers. I only know about technical/fincance fields - QA jobs at Microsoft, Google, Apple, Salesforce etc start at 80K out of college. Developer jobs start higher, like around 90k. First year analysts at Wall st firms make 100k easily if you include bonus.
post #172 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
They're overpaid. Boutique, as in small company, paying 65k for a graduate for a fresh faced 21/22 year old? Unbelievable and to be honest I'm not sure I believe it.

Honestly this just reeks of jealously. Who are you to say someones overpaid? And why do you care?
post #173 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
See, I don't understand this. Why would a struggling company hire an unproven graduate at such an extravagant salary? 125k for an accountant... Really doesn't make any sense...

Fair play if that's actually true, and I'm sure it was an experience!


Certified Accountants make good money (especially when consulting) and sounds like he was their book keeper/Controller/CFO all wrapped into one! But $125k is pretty sweet and that management experience straight out of school must've been amazing.


On a side note, I started articling at a big 4 firm back in 2006 for $38k in a Canadian City (COL was lower before our big boom in 07-08). That figure has gone up considerably since I got designated.
post #174 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I may have rooted through iammatt's trash at some point scavenging for food. I say that because there was one guy who would put a tiny little morsel of trash in the middle of a large, otherwise pristine garbage can.

see his posts on "plating" and "negative space."
post #175 of 473
In 2001 I took a job as a contractor to a large company and my hourly wage was $51/hr with no benefits. I was considered a Sr. Project Controls Engineer (support to a Project Manager w a BS in Business Information Systems) but I wasn't really Sr. which concerned me, I had 7-10 yrs of general experience in the field. It was a game that the contract company played as they new the they could charge more for Sr. people and make more money. It was a win/win even though I was kind of stressed about living up to my title for a while. I could have probably gotten $70K-$80K as a new grad with no experience at that time. I worked hard and gained respect taking the pressure off. I have been fortunate to remain a contractor working for the same company so I make time and a half for anything over 40 and now get pretty good bennies. In 10 plus yrs of raises, I now make $150K+ and rarely work more than 40. Also, the cost of living is pretty low here so that goes a long way, but I can tell you single guys that family eats it up pretty quickly with vacations, college tuition, braces, medical bills, car insurance for teenagers...............
post #176 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer View Post
In 2001 I took a job as a contractor to a large company and my hourly wage was $51/hr with no benefits. I was considered a Sr. Project Controls Engineer (support to a Project Manager w a BS in Business Information Systems) but I wasn't really Sr. which concerned me, I had 7-10 yrs of general experience in the field. It was a game that the contract company played as they new the they could charge more for Sr. people and make more money. It was a win/win even though I was kind of stressed about living up to my title for a while. I could have probably gotten $70K-$80K as a new grad with no experience at that time. I worked hard and gained respect taking the pressure off. I have been fortunate to remain a contractor working for the same company so I make time and a half for anything over 40 and now get pretty good bennies. In 10 plus yrs of raises, I now make $150K+ and rarely work more than 40. Also, the cost of living is pretty low here so that goes a long way, but I can tell you single guys that family eats it up pretty quickly with vacations, college tuition, braces, medical bills, car insurance for teenagers...............

Isn't this thread about starting salaries, like at your first job after leaving full-time education?

Mine was $20k, no benefits -- editorial assistant in 1993. Man I ate a lot of canned soup.
post #177 of 473
Some of these salaries seem high, I believe them, but they have to be taken lightly. The people making around 100K out of school aren't doing it easily. The I-bankers are working ~110 hour weeks, so yea they're making that much. I go to a reputable business school in Canada and Th avg salary after an undergraduate degree is ~50K.
post #178 of 473
Graduated in the past 2 years.

$60k + small bonus (~5K).
Management Consulting
post #179 of 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
...

Finally, I would say that people with low incomes may hold back on posting them while people with higher incomes have more incentive to brag.

This.

So here is mine: 7.75/hr hauling boxes.
post #180 of 473
~20k in 1994
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What was your starting salary (approx.)?