or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Expertise in your career
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Expertise in your career - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

An expert is someone that knows more than their client

I'm certainly an expert to my clients but put me in a room alongside the people who build the software I implement and I'm a drooling idiot in comparison.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post

What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

more than that - if you have a good idea of what your industry is up to, you can often see how people like you are doing, and how you compare.
post #18 of 33
Tax lawyering definitely requires expertise... I am certainly not an expert but that takes time given the subject matter.
post #19 of 33
I was also shown this chart when I was in school and it keeps popping up in my mind in reference to Milpool's question. http://gizmodo.com/5613794/what-is-exactly-a-doctorate
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes View Post
I was also shown this chart when I was in school and it keeps popping up in my mind in reference to Milpool's question.

http://gizmodo.com/5613794/what-is-exactly-a-doctorate

Neat link
post #21 of 33
I can't imagine you need expertise to be a mid level manager. So I guess I am competent. But then I see many peers who lack both and still survive.

I'm always reminded that management is repetitive, boring and no one makes a movie about it.
post #22 of 33
I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I have neither expertise nor competence. However, I am a commanding figure and know how to impress people.

My stars...that is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

Well then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.

I used to stammer, but not since I was a kid.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
So that brings up one of the points in the discussion I had: what is more economical, lots of competent workers or one expert?

Defintely competent workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
I am a jedi in my field.

You may think so young padawan
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Expertly competent at it.

My core competence is expertise.
impressive.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
Tax lawyering definitely requires expertise... I am certainly not an expert but that takes time given the subject matter.
post #27 of 33
There are only a couple of hundred people in the world who do what I do; while I'm not an expert in the sense that there are academics in the field who know the details much better than I do, I am more than competent in applications, and knowing how the details affect applications. Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive. I can deal with that. ~ H
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive.

~ H

One of my mentors, and definitely one of the most accomplished people of the last century in food, told me that that is the basic element of mastery.
post #29 of 33
I'm probably one of a handful of lawyers who can be keep you out of jail in MD/DC when you get caught with a few hundred units of heroin in your SUV.
post #30 of 33
I am expert in the market I operate and pretty highly regarded in my field generally. The absence of any other experts in my industry in my market means that I have to make something of a personal priority to keeping my own skills up, it would be very very easy to fall behind here. So...I do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Expertise in your career