• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite soles' traction in winter

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I have several pairs of chukka boots with Dainite soles that I purcahsed exclusively with the intention of using them for wintertime wear since it snows heavily where I live.

I was hoping the Dainite soles would provide reliable and secure traction while walking on snow--both fresh powder and firmly packed snow--but, alas, it is not to be.

I find Dainites do not provide secure traction in winter conditions. Sure, I haven't fallen while walking on a snow-covered sidewalk YET . . . but i find that I just can't walk at my usual pace for fear of slipping and falling.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences with Dainites in winter/icy conditions?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No but thanks for the insight, was planning to get a pair for that reason.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar experience. Dainite is good for the wet, but not so great for icey pavements and streets... Commando soles are probably the way to go for traction.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe

I have a similar experience. Dainite is good for the wet, but not so great for icey pavements and streets... Commando soles are probably the way to go for traction.

I never knew that. Thanks!

Commando soles:

Picture995.jpg

Dainite soles:

DSC_0431a.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with dainite in the winter, and I have never noticed any difference between dainite, commando, lug, or vibram soles in wintry conditions. They are all good.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I have never had a problem with dainite in the winter, and I have never noticed any difference between dainite, commando, lug, or vibram soles in wintry conditions. They are all good.

I think it is contingent on the winter conditions themselves and how well your local government has kept the streets cleared. If you're living in North America, where they actually put effort into clearing the streets and pavements after snow, then dainite probably wouldn't provide any particular advantage over commando soles. However, in the UK and parts of Europe, where we're really spectacularly unprepared for snow and ice, dainite doesn't seem to provide enough traction... This is mostly because local authorities can't seem to get it together to clear paths... We have over 2" of sheet ice of the roads and pavements in my neighbourhood, which haven't been cleared since the snows began 2 weeks ago... When the air temperature dipped slightly above zero C this week, a nice slick layer of water developed on top of the sheet ice, which made walking especially difficult. In those conditions, my dainite soles were great as ice skates but not so great for walking...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if the pavements are icy you are going to struggle with most soles.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear boots with a good chunky commando sole in icy/snowy conditions, very secure underfoot.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought some dainite soled boots (partly) b/c of winter utility as well. I just can't bring myself to putting a commando sole on any nice pair of shoes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, dianite on ice and snow; you might as well be wearing leather. I have a pair of Riders on their way with Vibram soles.

Loudly

Reaction score
Those Barker Blacks rock, from the commando soles all the way up.

SuitMyself;3902173 said:
I never knew that. Thanks!

Commando soles:

Picture995.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I recently bought some dainite soled boots (partly) b/c of winter utility as well. I just can't bring myself to putting a commando sole on any nice pair of shoes.

It depends on what you're wearing. With tweed odd jacket and flannel trousers, commando soled brogues don't seem too far off the mark. More refined fabrics probably require more refined shoes - although in which case ice skating practice seems in order...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads