or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Fighting mental blocks that keep you from doing things you need to get done
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fighting mental blocks that keep you from doing things you need to get done

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
You guys ever get these? Case in point: I've got a metric ton of shit to sell online, thousands of dollars worth, and I just cannot get myself to setup everything to take pics. Got the brand new camera, lighting crap, the whole nine (small timer version), but I just cannot get it done. I walk by it hourly, think to myself "hey, I'm going to do that, right after this..." and then do something else. Any tips or experience with strategies for getting past shit like this?
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
You guys ever get these? Case in point: I've got a metric ton of shit to sell online, thousands of dollars worth, and I just cannot get myself to setup everything to take pics. Got the brand new camera, lighting crap, the whole nine (small timer version), but I just cannot get it done. I walk by it hourly, think to myself "hey, I'm going to do that, right after this..." and then do something else. Any tips or experience with strategies for getting past shit like this?

Don't reply to this fucking post, just immediately go and photograph a few of the things. Just get started. Just a few.
post #3 of 32
I run into this problem regularly. A task just seems so large I can't get rolling on it. Of course, once I do get going, it's actually relatively straightforward and I just roll through it. It's more the thinking about it that I dislike. For example, folding laundry.
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
Don't reply to this fucking post, just immediately go and photograph a few of the things. Just get started. Just a few.
Eh, too late. Seriously though, I've been down that "forced" road before. "I won't do any of A until I at least get started on B." Then, I fuck off with B and party hardy with A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
I run into this problem regularly. A task just seems so large I can't get rolling on it. Of course, once I do get going, it's actually relatively straightforward and I just roll through it. It's more the thinking about it that I dislike. For example, folding laundry.
Pretty much. I know for a fact that once I get started I probably will turn into Ansel fucking Adams. I just get get started. Solidarity on the laundry folding. I've had it sitting in the basket for days and every time I look at it I feel a pang of shame.
post #5 of 32
Take adderall.
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post
Take adderall.
What was that? I was looking at something over there.
post #7 of 32


this

i have such a huge problem with this. i even installed stayfocusd for chrome and now i'm using firefox to get on sf

i think generally tho what helps me get over the bump is to do all the little things first. if that doesn't help either close eyes, count to ten, and then tell yourself that you're now going to do this until you go and do it.

having said that. im going to go uninstall firefox.
post #8 of 32
I remember in psychology being told that putting things off leads to a feeling of guilt which actually makes it harder to start the thing you put off as you don't even want to think about it. I forget what the effect was called but I experience it a lot.

I have this with a lot of things, including the classic writers block for both stuff I am studying and other stuff I write.

I have concluded there is no actual solution or trick, you simply have to force yourself to do it. I find promising myself a reward helps, something I actually want that I will not allow myself to have until whatever it is I have to do is done. Also setting a deadline and telling someone else the deadline helps as little. Really you just have to force yourself to begin though.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Eh, too late. Seriously though, I've been down that "forced" road before. "I won't do any of A until I at least get started on B." Then, I fuck off with B and party hardy with A. Pretty much. I know for a fact that once I get started I probably will turn into Ansel fucking Adams. I just get get started. Solidarity on the laundry folding. I've had it sitting in the basket for days and every time I look at it I feel a pang of shame.
My clean laundry basket is never empty. I have towels in there I haven't folded since I did my first load of laundry at my current house.
post #10 of 32
I'm the same way a lot of the time. Only advice I can offer is to envision that feeling you'll get when you complete the task. It sounds cliche, but I know you know what I'm talking about. Even with mildly difficult tasks, it's not uncommon for the dread of tackling that to-do item to be far more taxing than actually just bucking up and getting that job done.
post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 
Originally, I think it was dread that kept me from starting. Now, I think I've moved into outright avoidance.
post #12 of 32
Last week I had to get a report to a client. I had to analyse the stability of a couple of mining method options for a particular deposit. I hit the wall when it came to finalising the document and putting my signature on it.

Managed to get it done like 30 minutes before the deadline.

Deadlines usually un-block my mental blockages
post #13 of 32
start with small pieces. so take your pile, organize it into sections (pants, shoes, suits, etc) and then just tackle one of them for now. if you get into it keep going, if not, then at least you've started one part. Chances are the project is larger then can be done in one sitting anyway.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
start with small pieces. so take your pile, organize it into sections (pants, shoes, suits, etc) and then just tackle one of them for now. if you get into it keep going, if not, then at least you've started one part. Chances are the project is larger then can be done in one sitting anyway.

Pick the three best pieces -- 3 photographs each and post. The response from SF will give you incentive to do a few more later.
post #15 of 32
First, select any 38R jackets or US 9.5 shoes and PM me. Then if I don't want them, post on B&S.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Fighting mental blocks that keep you from doing things you need to get done