or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Grilling Hamburger
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grilling Hamburger

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
What are some of your methods of preparing ground beef for hamburgers and grilling hamburgers?

I normally just get the 90% or higher lean ground beef, flatten it into a patty shape, throw some salt on it and grill it up; but, I'm sure there are people out there with more complex or sophistacted methods of preparing hamburgers. Please share.
post #2 of 16
You can put a little egg in the meat prior to making patties to help it stick better.

One of my favorite burger variants is to add some chopped garlic, onion, and cilantro to the meat and then make it into patties. Grill it, only flipping once or twice, and never pressing it down into the grill. Serve on a bakery roll, with pepperjack cheese, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, and tomato.
post #3 of 16
that's basically what my brother does although i do believe that he tries to get ground beef with a little more fat content. he also toasts the buns on the grill. then normally it's some arugula lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and a thousand island dressing. really good burgers.

does anyone know what kind of pepper is used in ortega burgers that you normally find in burger joints? i'd like to try grilling my own ortega burger one of these days.

-Jeff
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
You can put a little egg in the meat prior to making patties to help it stick better.

One of my favorite burger variants is to add some chopped garlic, onion, and cilantro to the meat and then make it into patties. Grill it, only flipping once or twice, and never pressing it down into the grill. Serve on a bakery roll, with pepperjack cheese, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, and tomato.

Sounds kind of like one of those "southwestern burgers". I might have to give this a try and see how it tastes.
post #5 of 16
The higher fat, the better. Something like 80% lean is what I would aim for. The seasonings I like to add are: garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce.
post #6 of 16
I don't know how to do it on a grill, though I should learn now that I have one. But my best hamburgers have involved not-ultra-lean beef, salt and pepper, and most importantly NOT smashing the patties really tightly. Form them into 3/4" thick piles just tight enough to stay together. I'll find the recipe when I get home for more specifics, but these have always turned out well on the stove. Very smoky and greasy though; it makes a mess of the kitchen.
post #7 of 16
I little tiny sliver of ice in the middle makes them chared on the outside and red on the inside
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The higher fat, the better. Something like 80% lean is what I would aim for.

The seasonings I like to add are: garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce.


Yeah, I know that higher fat tastes better, but, it's not as good for my waist line - so I stick to the lower fat burgers. I eat a high protein diet and a lot of my protein comes from meat - if I were to eat high fat meats all the time I would be a blimp by now.
post #9 of 16
Sometimes I like a mix of ground beef and ground pork. Also - you probably already know this - avoid the temptation to press on the grilling burgers so as to get the cool sizzle when the juices squeeze out onto the coals. I like to sear them initially with high/direct heat, then lower the flame or use a bit more indirect heat to let the insides cook.
post #10 of 16
I tend to use ground chuck myself for burgers.
post #11 of 16
Mix in a bowl:

- medium ground beef
- salt
- pepper
- crushed (or minced) garlic
- diced onions
- a little parsley
- some bbq sauce
- an egg
- breadcrumbs (I use cornflakes brand)
- shredded cheddar cheese

Make really thick (2 inch), elliptical patties

I sear them first for a couple of minutes on high flame and then cook slowly on lower indirect heat (often on the warming rack). Those babies are so juicy, you can see the cheese oozing out...
post #12 of 16
i wouldn't pat or put any kind of pressure on the patties, too. it will help dry out the patty whence grilling. and i tend to flip the burger once only. and put the cheese on top of the burger on the last minute before i bring it out of the flame.
post #13 of 16
tartare is so much easier...
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
tartare is so much easier...
Yeah, but you have to use better (read:more expensive) beef.

The key to burgers really is gentle handling.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Yeah, I know that higher fat tastes better, but, it's not as good for my waist line - so I stick to the lower fat burgers. I eat a high protein diet and a lot of my protein comes from meat - if I were to eat high fat meats all the time I would be a blimp by now.
Higher fat content of 80% Lean which is Ground Chuck yields a juicy burger, and most of the fat renders in cooking. Here is a link to Cooks Illustrated: http://americastestkitchen.com/searchform.asp I have subscribed to their magazine for the past 8 years, and they are by far the best source for recipes that are tastey,proven, and have step by step instructions. Some of the content is restricted unless you join or register for a trial membership. Now, do you grill over charcoal or gas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Grilling Hamburger