or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Biggest social changes in last 40 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biggest social changes in last 40 years - Page 4

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
No one has commented on this:

"(e) Death of the inner part of almost all American cities (what little is left in most is mostly government offices and government built structures like libraries, sports arenas, etc.) due, IMO, to white flight and the automobile. This is hard for me to accept. I am an urbanite, but now, except for NY, I have to go to Europe to enjoy the pleasures of central city strolling, window shopping, etc."

What do you think of the Mall as a replacement for downtowns in the USA?
The concept of the mall as replacement for downtown is important in certain First Amendment jurisprudence, the fountainhead of which was the Supreme Court's decision in the Pruneyard Shopping Center case (which basically held that, at least in some circumstances, the private parties who own malls, supermarkets, etc. may not have unfettered authority to exclude people who want to express certain political viewpoints in a non-disruptive manner).
post #47 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
40 years ago, you would never have met your soul mate ernest. How is he, anway, apart from being b****d?

It is a strange friendship.
I am twice his age. We share a certain mutual interest in clothing, but he is far more conservative in dress and English-oriented than I am.
We are at opposite poles as to food. I used to smoke and still drink [wine]. He has never done either. I am a Francophile, while he (like most French; a great surprise to Americans) loves most things American.
Maybe we both enjoy getting beaten up on the forums.
post #48 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yeah, I'm sure it'd be a lot more fun if they'd just go back to lying there with their eyes closed and teeth gritted. Maybe if they'd even put up a little resistance so we could feel extra manly when we fight through it, that'd be even better.

Seriously, isn't it strange that in 1960, maybe 85% of USA women would have said they disliked sex and put up with it to please their husbands. Now 95% would say that they enjoy it.
Sort of like the SUV, unknown here, except for the Land Rover, 25 years ago, now the majority of vehicles. Also largely useless, since the station wagon and van are generally better, as off the road use is not common.
I think that the present expressed views about sex are simply conformity to what is fashionable now to say and to think. I wonder what most women REALLY think about sex now and thought about it then. I doubt that there has been much change.
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Seriously, isn't it strange that in 1960, maybe 85% of USA women would have said they disliked sex and put up with it to please their husbands. Now 95% would say that they enjoy it.
Sort of like the SUV, unknown here, except for the Land Rover, 25 years ago, now the majority of vehicles. Also largely useless, since the station wagon and van are generally better, as off the road use is not common.
I think that the present expressed views about sex are simply conformity to what is fashionable now to say and to think. I wonder what most women REALLY think about sex now and thought about it then. I doubt that there has been much change.
Yes, sex is very much like an SUV.
post #50 of 81
I think women enjoy sex more now than they used to. This is because men are now required to engage in an activity known as "foreplay." First they get to vote and compete with men for the same jobs, and now this.

Life was much easier when we could just take a time out for a quickie and be back in front of the television for the start of the next inning.


The above is what is known as "satire," so please don't start yelling at me.
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Seriously, isn't it strange that in 1960, maybe 85% of USA women would have said they disliked sex and put up with it to please their husbands. Now 95% would say that they enjoy it.
Sort of like the SUV, unknown here, except for the Land Rover, 25 years ago, now the majority of vehicles. Also largely useless, since the station wagon and van are generally better, as off the road use is not common.
I think that the present expressed views about sex are simply conformity to what is fashionable now to say and to think. I wonder what most women REALLY think about sex now and thought about it then. I doubt that there has been much change.

teehee i think you'd be surprised
post #52 of 81
Detroit is the perfect example of a degraded, formerly glorious city. As for sex, I liken it to the ubiquity of modern cars. They are generic, cheap, and generally reliable; rather like today's sex where everyone but the niche groups are pleased. Sort of that greater good nonsense. It's also similar to flip-flops; everything is so casual, and cheap.
post #53 of 81
The biggest and the worst change in US society is corporate slavery and conformity that rules here, as well as overall decline of individuality and freedom of thought.
How did it happen? I have some ideas. All I say: it is quite an achievement to brain wash the whole nation into thinking that each working individual is dispensable object.
That social safety net as well as free healthcare are bad things.
That 6 week paid vacation is a crime against economy. That firing and hiring in order to influence stock movement is a normal course of events in a civilized society. That we should compete with India and Asia for hourly wages and productivity. That common sense and personal experience could be racism or profiling.
post #54 of 81
I like the modern world...

I like malls...

I like being able to wear jeans, shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, etc...

I like being able to look at naked women when I choose...

Heck I really like be able to wear a t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and a ball cap to eat lunch at Hooters at the mall.
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Maybe we both enjoy getting beaten up on the forums.

I do my part.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yes, sex is very much like an SUV.

uhm, the bigger they are the more fun it is to ride them?
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
uhm, the bigger they are the more fun it is to ride them?

Excursions need love too.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
uhm, the bigger they are the more fun it is to ride them?

Reminds me of the "Big Johnson" t-shirts that used to be sold at a local shop a few years ago:

Quote:
Big Johnson Off-Road Tires
"No hole's too deep or too sloppy when you're driving with a Big Johnson."
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Detroit is the perfect example of a degraded, formerly glorious city.

As for sex, I liken it to the ubiquity of modern cars. They are generic, cheap, and generally reliable; rather like today's sex where everyone but the niche groups are pleased. Sort of that greater good nonsense.

It's also similar to flip-flops; everything is so casual, and cheap.

Two devastating images. We now view sex as a vital function. Skill in performing this function is critical for males (hence much jealousy).

The sexual revolution drained illicit excitement from debauchery and mystery from eros (or maybe eros from love).

Every fratboy can be a Caligula now.

To be enjoyed, divine love must be separated from sex. It's time for the revival of ideal friendship as a main goal rather than the romantic coupling.
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Two devastating images. We now view sex as a vital function. Skill in performing this function is critical for males (hence much jealousy). The sexual revolution drained illicit excitement from debauchery and mystery from eros (or maybe eros from love). Every fratboy can be a Caligula now. To be enjoyed, divine love must be separated from sex. It's time for the revival of ideal friendship as a main goal rather than the romantic coupling.
What we have lost is the aesthetics of sex. It's no wonder with crass shows that try to be witty like Desperate Housewives or some other drivel, they publicize sexual politics into something commercial, and attainable. Sex needs a certain furtive back-alley element to be sensational, and no, date-rape is not it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Biggest social changes in last 40 years