or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread - Page 48

post #706 of 4901
I like Joffrey, he's a fun character. I also like that (like midieval times) he's not a big fan of the monarch being beholden to the whims of the nobility. If they're his subjects, why does he need their love/permission to run his kingdom as he sees fit. A wannabe absolute monarch. Go Joffrey!
post #707 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
It was the same sword Ned used to behead the guy in the first episode.

Those Northmen go big.

good catch, i checked the first n 9th episodes and it was same sword, then again maybe it said this in the novels...
post #708 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post
good catch, i checked the first n 9th episodes and it was same sword, then again maybe it said this in the novels...

It's important for a variety of reasons. Contrasts Ned (executes criminals himself with his family sword) with Joffrey's methods. In the book Ned killed Sansa's direwolf with the sword as well, but they had him use a knife in the show.

The sword also comes up later on, obviously no idea if the show will stress it.
post #709 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Family sword, handed down from father to son for generations. That and Valeryan steal would be the equivalent of a Vorpal Sword in D&Dland I guess.

I don't know what this means, but I assume it is nerdy as hell.

It was Ned's sword which of course he took with him when traveling south. It is not an executioner's sword it is his (fighting) sword that has been in his family for ages. After Ned's death it should be inherited by Rob. Letting Ned be killed by his own sword and having it carried by the axman is an insult in itself. And I don't think I'm spoiling much when I say it's not the end of that particular insult.
post #710 of 4901
This is pretty much what i'm getting at. I haven't read the books, but they didn't really explain it very well in the series, so was speculating on whether on not it will play a part in the future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post
I don't know what this means, but I assume it is nerdy as hell.

It was Ned's sword which of course he took with him when traveling south. It is not an executioner's sword it is his (fighting) sword that has been in his family for ages. After Ned's death it should be inherited by Rob. Letting Ned be killed by his own sword and having it carried by the axman is an insult in itself. And I don't think I'm spoiling much when I say it's not the end of that particular insult.
post #711 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post
I don't know what this means, but I assume it is nerdy as hell.

It was Ned's sword which of course he took with him when traveling south. It is not an executioner's sword it is his (fighting) sword that has been in his family for ages. After Ned's death it should be inherited by Rob. Letting Ned be killed by his own sword and having it carried by the axman is an insult in itself. And I don't think I'm spoiling much when I say it's not the end of that particular insult.

Heh, true. And BTW Vorpal Sword was the most powerful sword in the original Dungeons and Dragons game
post #712 of 4901
This is not a spoiler:

I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing.

Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.
post #713 of 4901
Thread Starter 
I had skipped a few pages and missed that everyone was clamoring for no book spoilers. My apology for posting a book spoiler earlier.
post #714 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
This is not a spoiler:

I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing.

Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.

*Mormont.

Other than that, everything you wrote is correct.
post #715 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
This is not a spoiler: I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing. Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.
Yeah I'm kinda butthurt that Jon got Jorah's sword since Jorah is more and more becoming my favorite character in this. Valyrian steel isn't 'magical', but apparently there are magical swords in this setting according to Martin in the the Making of GOT on HBO IIRC.
Quote:
I had skipped a few pages and missed that everyone was clamoring for no book spoilers. My apology for posting a book spoiler earlier.
FWIW, I don't think you spoiled anything w/ that
post #716 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
FWIW, I don't think you spoiled anything w/ that
Neither did I, which is why I responded, but the peoples' have spokenses.
post #717 of 4901
What's your least favorite story lines in the show? Mine so far has been the Targaryan/Dothraky wilderness adventure.
post #718 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
What's your least favorite story lines in the show? Mine so far has been the Targaryan/Dothraky wilderness adventure.

I didn't like much of Catelyn's story....or maybe I did and I just don't like *her* heh. I didn't blame Jaime for going after Ned at all after Cat grabbed Tyrion with no evidence. These Starks are stupid, stupid, stupid!

I thought the Targ/Doth story was great, but mainly due to Jorah, very deep, three dimensional character. I hope he's fleshed out in the future more.
post #719 of 4901
I don't care much for Catelyn but as her story gets tangled up with Tyrion's, I can't comlplain too much.
post #720 of 4901
I'm glad I'm not alone in really like Jorah. I get the impression that there is a lot going on in his head that we are not privy to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread