or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread - Page 189

post #2821 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Just like Robert Jordan did in Eye of the World series or Frank Herbert's Dune

I'm still kind of bitter about that.
post #2822 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Just like Robert Jordan did in Eye of the World series

That series probably got finished faster because Jordan died.
post #2823 of 4901
I'm surprised he has survived this long to be honest. He is the real-life Wyman Manderly.
post #2824 of 4901
With some Magister Illyrio mixed in. Dude probably sweats Crisco.




And to be fair, I'm not sure dying of cardiac amyloidosis was really something Robert Jordan could have avoided. Martin could put down the bacon double cheeseburgers and exercise occasionally...
post #2825 of 4901
There is something about the bodies of fat people who have been fat their entire lives as opposed to those who were once skinny or thick, then got fat. JRR has been fat his entire life.
post #2826 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post


I'm still kind of bitter about that.

 

The Brian's writing cannot touch his father's work with a 10 foot pole.  His writing is too simplistic and unimaginative.  I just can't imagine or believe in what he writes, if that makes any sense to you

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


That series probably got finished faster because Jordan died.

 

roflmao

post #2827 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I'm still kind of bitter about that.

Dune had already flown pretty far off the rails by the time Herbert died, though. I slogged through God Emperor of Dune and then completely stalled out on Heretics of Dune and never went back. Loved the first 3 novels though.
post #2828 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

There is something about the bodies of fat people who have been fat their entire lives as opposed to those who were once skinny or thick, then got fat. JRR has been fat his entire life.

It's all in the genes. Fat men can live a long life too.
post #2829 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Dune had already flown pretty far off the rails by the time Herbert died, though. I slogged through God Emperor of Dune and then completely stalled out on Heretics of Dune and never went back. Loved the first 3 novels though.

It's true, although I was sort of hoping that things were headed in an interesting new direction at the end of the last book. I never read any of the Dune books written after Frank Herbert died. I agree that the first three books were classics.
post #2830 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

There is something about the bodies of fat people who have been fat their entire lives as opposed to those who were once skinny or thick, then got fat. JRR has been fat his entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

It's all in the genes. Fat men can live a long life too.

No, it's not all in the genes. Some people are more genetically disposed to be heavy, and some folks can certainly be fat but otherwise healthy and long-lived. But GRRM doesn't look like a healthy big-boned dude who makes generally healthy food choices and exercises occasionally.
post #2831 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


No, it's not all in the genes. Some people are more genetically disposed to be heavy, and some folks can certainly be fat but otherwise healthy and long-lived. But GRRM doesn't look like a healthy big-boned dude who makes generally healthy food choices and exercises occasionally.

He looks like a guy who eats lamprey pies, swans in full plumage, Quails drowned in Butter, Trout wrapped in Bacon, salad of greens, with pease and onions, Auroch w/Roasted Leeks,
Rack of Lamb in Garlic-herb Crust, Dornish Duck with lemons, Wild Boar, Grilled Snake - with fiery mustard sauce, Sister’s Stew - thick with leeks, carrots, barley, and turnips white and yellow, along with clams and chunks of cod and crabmeat, swimming in a stock of heavy cream and butter, and in countries where available:

Horse roasted with honey and peppers
Peacocks served in their plumage, roasted whole and stuffed with dates
Roast swan stuffed with mushrooms and oysters
Roast herons
A great wedding pie with a hundred live doves baked within to fly out when the crust is broken
Unborn puppies and honeyed dormice
Dog sausage
Olives stuffed with maggots
stuffed Larks
camel
spiny grubs
dog in honey, stuffed with prunes and peppers
Heron Stuffed w/Figs

and Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Frey Pies.
post #2832 of 4901
There is a strong fixation on food in his writing. Although I actually think it's a pretty good device, as it's as good a shorthand as any for telling you what a character's situation in life currently is, from the Lannisters carelessly feasting on incredibly luxurious food to Arya and Hot Pie eating bugs and worms while wandering through the Kingswood (or wherever they were). But then again maybe he was just hungry.

BTW, my neighbor from when I was a kid has been fat as long as I've known him, and the last time I saw him he was almost 90 if not older and still looked like he was going to keep living. He never smoked cigarettes or drank more than occasionally so that might have something to do with it.
post #2833 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

There is a strong fixation on food in his writing. Although I actually think it's a pretty good device, as it's as good a shorthand as any for telling you what a character's situation in life currently is, from the Lannisters carelessly feasting on incredibly luxurious food to Arya and Hot Pie eating bugs and worms while wandering through the Kingswood (or wherever they were). But then again maybe he was just hungry.

BTW, my neighbor from when I was a kid has been fat as long as I've known him, and the last time I saw him he was almost 90 if not older and still looked like he was going to keep living. He never smoked cigarettes or drank more than occasionally so that might have something to do with it.

I agree that it was a useful device to describe the foods in the specific regions to differentiate them and also to describe circumstances. Bran, Hodor, and the Reeds eating only acorn paste for about an entire book was pretty difficult when others were feasting with such grandeur and those on the Wall were preparing salted meats for the Winter but eating so sparingly in order to maintain their stocks.
post #2834 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Don't assume he's dead forever. We've seen what the Red Priests can do. Melisandre keeps asking to see Azor Ahai reborn in her flames and instead all she sees is Jon Snow. She also says she needs King's blood to wake the dragon from the stone. She needs to burn someone with King's blood. If R+L=J then J has King's blood. She might light a pyre for him and he could be reborn as a dragon, aka Targaryen. None of the prophecies are literal.

Fixed, I seem to remember.
post #2835 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Dune had already flown pretty far off the rails by the time Herbert died, though. I slogged through God Emperor of Dune and then completely stalled out on Heretics of Dune and never went back. Loved the first 3 novels though.

Herbert did a bunch of other stuff besides Dune, much of it just as amazing, like the Destination Void series.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread