or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread - Page 171

post #2551 of 4879
I think there is a TV-based wiki on wikia (i.e. it only focuses on what has happened thus far on the show)...that one should be pretty safe to read.

Stay far far away from "A Wiki of Ice and Fire"...that one is book based and will rapidly spoil everything that happens as well as fill you in on a billion details that GRRM can't even remember. Hell..he probably uses it as a reference when writing in order to keep his story straight (like how the show has "expert readers" to fill in the information that GRRM can't remember).
post #2552 of 4879

Really? 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Don't remember who Wex is, how Manderly or Davos knows, and didn't count Coldhands, him being whatever he is. Was a big deal made out of Arya and Jon warging and knowing. Not sure I ever remember Arya doing that as she was separated from her wolf early on. 

 

lefty

post #2553 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I could be wrong, but the only people only people who know the Stark boys weren't killed are greyjoy, bastard, the reeds, osha, hodor, and eventually...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sam.


lefty
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also Manderly, who tells Davos. And whoever Manderly heard it from, apparently. .
post #2554 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I think there is a TV-based wiki on wikia (i.e. it only focuses on what has happened thus far on the show)...that one should be pretty safe to read.
Stay far far away from "A Wiki of Ice and Fire"...that one is book based and will rapidly spoil everything that happens as well as fill you in on a billion details that GRRM can't even remember. Hell..he probably uses it as a reference when writing in order to keep his story straight (like how the show has "expert readers" to fill in the information that GRRM can't remember).

lol @ GRRM not remembering everything. maybe he should consult with our pal scurvy. he seems to have it in order.

i probably read both the wikis you mentioned. peepwall[1].gif
post #2555 of 4879
Actually, GRRM does consult with a member of his fan club (being serious here) who apparently has like a photographic memory. Basically, if GRRM, say, forgets the eye color of some character and gets it wrong, readers will probably interpret it as some conspiracy theory rather than just author oversight, so to avoid that, he calls this super-fan who knows literally everything about what he's ever written.

Pretty nuts.
post #2556 of 4879
pretty awesome actually. i hope that super fan is being paid handsomely.

also, i was thinking, one of the best story lines for me right now is how all margery tyrell had to do was feign a small sexual turn on by pain and violence and all of sudden joffrey is a pathetic pile of mushy putty in her hands. add on to that a quick show of the people waving to him with her, and he is pretty much powerless against her it seems. though you never know, he does turn on a dime. either way, i think afair she is the first person to have realized how easily played and manipulated that little shit is.
post #2557 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Don't understand the Theon plot. Why sacrifice four of their own men to trick Theon back to the same cage...

This explains it quite nicely...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/game-of-thrones-tsarnaev/?cid=7393314

Theon's going to wish he was dead pretty soon heh.
post #2558 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Really? 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Don't remember who Wex is, how Manderly or Davos knows, and didn't count Coldhands, him being whatever he is. Was a big deal made out of Arya and Jon warging and knowing. Not sure I ever remember Arya doing that as she was separated from her wolf early on. 

lefty
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wex is Theon's mute squire given to him by his father out of disrespect. Wex followed Osha, Rickon, and a half-grown dire wolf to White Harbor. Sure, like a teenage kid can follow a direwolf and not be notice, or even a wildling guarding her back. Pure plot device.
post #2559 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Actually, GRRM does consult with a member of his fan club (being serious here) who apparently has like a photographic memory. Basically, if GRRM, say, forgets the eye color of some character and gets it wrong, readers will probably interpret it as some conspiracy theory rather than just author oversight, so to avoid that, he calls this super-fan who knows literally everything about what he's ever written.

Pretty nuts.

True. And that guy and his wife are proofreading WoW right now. They don't get paid at all, but get to read the story years in advance of us peons.

He's the guy who maintains the wiki and westeros.org.
post #2560 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

also, i was thinking, one of the best story lines for me right now is how all margery tyrell had to do was feign a small sexual turn on by pain and violence and all of sudden joffrey is a pathetic pile of mushy putty in her hands. add on to that a quick show of the people waving to him with her, and he is pretty much powerless against her it seems. though you never know, he does turn on a dime. either way, i think afair she is the first person to have realized how easily played and manipulated that little shit is.

They really play up the political animal side of Margaery in the TV show. I quite like it, really. She's not as (obviously) bold and Machiavellian in the books.
post #2561 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

pretty awesome actually. i hope that super fan is being paid handsomely.

Yeah, like scurvy said, the dude gets to read the manuscripts as they are written, years ahead of everyone else, so it's basically his dream.
post #2562 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

say, forgets the eye color of some character and gets it wrong, readers will probably interpret it as some conspiracy theory rather than just author oversight,
.

I saw him at a panel and he talked about this very example. Basically he just uses the hell out of search function on Word whenever he needs to remember eye colors.
post #2563 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Yeah, like scurvy said, the dude gets to read the manuscripts as they are written, years ahead of everyone else, so it's basically his dream.

Honestly, if I were that into the story...I don't know if I would want to.

On one hand, it would be the sickest form of inside knowledge (and you'd have it years in advance).

On the other hand, you would read things that get changed. All of the sudden you would have things in your mind that are penned by GRRM, but are not actually cannon...Especially depending on how planned out he really has the book. Imagine reading R+L=J and then having GRRM decide he doesn't actually like that outcome (and was just pushed into it by all the fans thinking it) and rewriting something else. It would be like if you read the first book with Ned losing his head and then GRRM decides that he should stick around for a few more books and changes the ending.
As a superfan, you might not want to know those sorts of messy details...you'd want the "one true story" as opposed to a bunch of hypotheticals that were explored during the writing.
post #2564 of 4879
Naw a super fan would kill to have not just advance knowledge, but also input into the story itself. Actually he probably did kill someone to get this
post #2565 of 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Naw a super fan would kill to have not just advance knowledge, but also input into the story itself. Actually he probably did kill someone to get this

Yeah, I'm sure he loves getting to see the sausage made. I mean, hell, at that point, just having the author of your most favoritest books of all eternity calling you up for input is probably enough to make this guy die happy.

I may sound somewhat sarcastic here, but I actually think it's pretty cool that GRRM 1) realizes he has some seriously entangled stories here and makes a serious effort to keep them straight (*cough* *cough* Lost) and 2) is willing to let a fan help him on it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread