or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Can't decide on boots!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't decide on boots!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Dr. Marten's are calling my name (a bit), but I don't know if they are too "industrial" for my tastes. I wear a lot of Nike Dunks and sneakers...I thought I liked the Frye boots, but I don't know now. ugh, this is tough...
post #2 of 25
that sucks dude. docs don't have to feel industrial. they can also feel working class, skinhead, punk, shoegaze, hardcore... but i dunno, i would stay away from the non-UK made docs. maybe track down a pre2003 boot on eBay? i wish i could help.
post #3 of 25
Since I found my old Docs from around 1990, I cleaned them up, polished them, and have some good ol fashion white laces coming in the mail to get suited and booted for the fall. The combat boot thread definitely inspired me to get the Docs back in action.
post #4 of 25
Docs with white laces? I thought that was white power. Or is that docs with red laces? My punks years were many years ago plus I never got into the doc marten look. I thought no matter what laces you wore you looked like a nazi. Maybe that is just me stereotyping again.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
Docs with white laces? I thought that was white power. Or is that docs with red laces? My punks years were many years ago plus I never got into the doc marten look. I thought no matter what laces you wore you looked like a nazi. Maybe that is just me stereotyping again.

Red suspenders, red laces. (I think)
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
docs don't have to feel industrial. they can also feel working class, skinhead, punk, shoegaze, hardcore...

That happily sums up my doc marten wearing youth soundtracked by Skinny Puppy, the Ramones, Slowdive, and Minor Threat.

I've been trying to throw them away for over ten years now and I can't do it.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
Docs with white laces? I thought that was white power. Or is that docs with red laces? My punks years were many years ago plus I never got into the doc marten look. I thought no matter what laces you wore you looked like a nazi. Maybe that is just me stereotyping again.

eh, depends what TV news special you're watching....at one Rolling Stone magazine defined it as:

white laces=white pride
red laces=white power
yellow laces=cop killer (yea that's pretty dumb)

but almost everyone I knew wore white laces in black Docs, regardless of racial politics. And yellow laces in the cherry red Docs were the other popular combo.
post #8 of 25
hard to mistake an asian guy with white or red laces in his boots for a white supremacist.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgusterson
Slowdive



Yeah, Docs can look pretty much any way you want them to, with obvious exceptions like... preppy. They are really good for planting on the ass of that two-polo-shirts-both-with-the-colors-popped wearing clown walking in front of you on the street, though. Sadly, I got rid of my old Docs.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
They are really good for planting on the ass of that two-polo-shirts-both-with-the-colors-popped wearing clown walking in front of you on the street, though.
There's a song called "Doctor Marten Dental Plan" by an infamous band, Bound For Glory. DDML....asian nazis.....interestingly they do exist. I corresponded with Japanese Skins in the early 90s from Tokyo who were basically the embodiment of the Fourth Reich, very heavily into National Socialism.
post #11 of 25
I ordered a pair of new steel toe docs and the craftsmanship was so bad I returned them right away. I've heard good things about Tredair and Gripfast (White & Co) boots though. They both look pretty similar. Does anyone have any experience with these.
post #12 of 25
I can relate to your indecision knucks. I've been looking for weeks for a boot that really catches my eye. So far it's been Frye's new Brando engineer ($240 is a lot of jack for me!) and one I found on Yoox by No.made, a company I've never heard of. Speaking of which, if someone knows anything about No.made, perhaps they could fill me in; I've googled to no avail. Unfortunately, Yoox only has a size 12 and I need an 8.5 or 9. So the search continues until I find something else, or until I can convince myself to get the Fryes because I know I won't be happy without them.

linky link to the No.mades: http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/NO.MAD...343N/areaid/36

As far as Docs go, I have a made-in-China pair that I bought about two or three years ago and they've held up admirably, though under admittedly light use (i.e. no ass kicking). Unfortunately, they do give off a certain vibe which only works when I'm in the mood to look like some kind of bad-ass. So I guess I'm looking for a new black boot, too.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
DDML....asian nazis.....interestingly they do exist. I corresponded with Japanese Skins in the early 90s from Tokyo who were basically the embodiment of the Fourth Reich, very heavily into National Socialism.
That makes some sort of sense.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
There's a song called "Doctor Marten Dental Plan" by an infamous band, Bound For Glory.

DDML....asian nazis.....interestingly they do exist. I corresponded with Japanese Skins in the early 90s from Tokyo who were basically the embodiment of the Fourth Reich, very heavily into National Socialism.

The Japanese around the turn of the Century had a very interesting relationship with the West. They wanted to westernize very, very badly. And they were definitely the most imperialistic of the Asian powers (China was the opposite, being very insular and protectionist. Go to any other Asian country, and there is generally very little love for the Japanese. So, Japanese skinheads are hardly unheard of, nor is it surprising that they exist.

Glad that Asians in NA seem to have put a lot of that crap behind them.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calden
I ordered a pair of new steel toe docs and the craftsmanship was so bad I returned them right away. I've heard good things about Tredair and Gripfast (White & Co) boots though. They both look pretty similar. Does anyone have any experience with these.

I've owend Tredair 10 hole steel toe boots and currently wear Gripfast steel toe 3 hole shoes. Both are still Made in England, and much better than Docs, esp the Tredair as they have the air cushioned sole like a Doc Marten boot but just a better boot overall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Can't decide on boots!