The most hazardous stuff in shoe polish is naptha. Which I'm not all that worried about, to tell the truth. if you swallowed a chunk of polish, that would be bad, but it has very little effect on leather, evaporating right off, so it's not gonna do much harm to your skin, which is why it's used. It cleans stuff off and then evaporates away (which is the source of that wonderful shoe polish smell), leaving no residue. The dye, wax and cream are not concerining at all, and I find that normal hand soap is usually enough to remove them from my fingers.