or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Screwed up big time this semester
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Screwed up big time this semester

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
This was my first year working over full time along with full time class as well, and it was pretty much fuck. My gpa is going from a 3.4 to a 3.05 in one semester. I can't even figure out whether I want to dish out $2500 so I can drop the classes or just take the F's and work my GPA back up. I didn't pass a single fucking class. I've never done this bad in school in my entire life. On top of that, most of my friends are graduating next semester (when I was supposed to graduate), and because I did so shitty this year, I'll be an entire year late. Last of all, in order to keep my scholarship, I will need to take classes over next summer, the summer I'm getting married, the summer I was supposed to go on my honeymoon, and now I can't, because life is fucking cruel.

encouraging words needed.
post #2 of 50
They'll let you drop classes in December?
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post
They'll let you drop classes in December?

if you cry enough, yes.

crazyjew, I feel for you. One semester I thought it was a smart idea to take 12 credits of lab classes (19 total creds) while still working to cover my expenses... lets just say it was incredibly dumb.

your best hope is negotiating and pleading with the university. plead, beg, lie. Its not going to change the fact you got in over your head and now have new timelines but theres still alot you can salvage.
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post
They'll let you drop classes in December?

At my alma mater we had a drop date deadline about halfway through the semester, but could do a full withdrawal from school (drop out, essentially) until the last week of classes IIRC. It's been too long since I graduated but I think you could only do this once without being told not to come back.
post #5 of 50
Can you drop the classes and have it not affect your GPA? if so, do it.

Quit the job. take a loan instead

drop the girl, nobody should get married during college. fuck
post #6 of 50
Sorry to hear this brah, and I know what you're going through since I worked 40+hours my entire college career. Do you have a job lined up? If not, you might want to drop the classes and cut your losses to save your GPA.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
drop the girl, nobody should get married during college. fuck

x2. This will only add to your stress and stop you from having sex when you need it the most.
post #8 of 50
Unless you have plans to go to medical or law school I would not worry too much about grades. I mean I graduated with a 3.72 GPA and I am a complete loser and waste of space.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadha View Post
Unless you have plans to go to medical or law school I would not worry too much about grades. I mean I graduated with a 3.72 GPA and I am a complete loser and waste of space.

and the smarted, most employable man I ever met finished with a 2.000
post #10 of 50
man i would say just stick it out (assuming you cant drop) but your almost graduating and have plans with the future misses ... hmmm sucks bro

i did terribly my first year in college but saved myself slowly and consistently
post #11 of 50
I think that it's essentially impossible to work full-time and to attend school full-time and to do both well. My father tried it and dropped out of college. My brother tried it and dropped out of college. I took out loans and finished college.

MinnMD
post #12 of 50
How old are you?

College and marriage go to together like oil and water.
post #13 of 50
If you can drop any F grades do so even if it costs you money. You'll be retaking those classes anyway. If you got some D grades, that is a little harder as D grades give credit but drag down your GPA. Still if you can I would withdraw from any and all classes you bombed. 2500 is not that much money in the long run.

Anyone getting married in college should expect some level of poverty so skipping on the honey moon is not that big a deal.
post #14 of 50
Thread Starter 
Fortunately I have a job lined up next year, a computer science co-op position. They've already accepted me, I just have to wait for my citizenship to file since it's a defense company and they won't hire legal resident aliens. However, the co-op itself is sort of a probationary period, where once I graduate, they will decide whether to keep me as an employee or not. If shit hit the fan and I ended up not becoming an employee at the end, I don't want a sub-par GPA from dragging me down.

I've just never done this bad. It was a giant slap across the face. This is pretty much rock bottom for me in regard to my life at university so far. And the missus is the only thing keeping me sane right now. I'm happy that I know she'd still stick by my side even if I dropped out of school and became a pot farmer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though.

So here is my predicament. I can either late drop the classes and not affect my GPA, but this will cost me about an extra $1800 in loans to pay off after school. Or I can take two F's, my gpa drops to 3.03, and hopefully I'll get it back a ~3.3 before I graduate. Not good enough to work for microsoft, but at least it's still something. Or I can take out an expensive loan to try and maintain a better GPA. There's the tradeoff...

try and aim for a 3.5+ GPA by graduation, at the cost of an extra ~$2000 to pay off after school,

or

settle with a 3.0-3.2, save myself $2000 after graduation.

(scholarship only pays for classes I keep, not the ones I drop)

also, I have to wonder how much my GPA will really matter anyway from a university that is ranked like 97th in the country.
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJew View Post
This was my first year working over full time along with full time class as well, and it was pretty much fuck. My gpa is going from a 3.4 to a 3.05 in one semester. I can't even figure out whether I want to dish out $2500 so I can drop the classes or just take the F's and work my GPA back up. I didn't pass a single fucking class. I've never done this bad in school in my entire life. On top of that, most of my friends are graduating next semester (when I was supposed to graduate), and because I did so shitty this year, I'll be an entire year late. Last of all, in order to keep my scholarship, I will need to take classes over next summer, the summer I'm getting married, the summer I was supposed to go on my honeymoon, and now I can't, because life is fucking cruel.

encouraging words needed.

you fucked up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Screwed up big time this semester