or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Top Chef All Stars
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top Chef All Stars - Page 21

post #301 of 632
It seems like everyone was mad that Antonia won for a relatively simply dish. I've never had mussels, so I don't know how they taste or how easy they are to cook. Are they foolproof?
post #302 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
. could be they cut the more extended explanation for time and they didn't think it was important (editors!).

one of my close friends is a story editor on the show and he has informed me that this is probably the case
post #303 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
It seems like everyone was mad that Antonia won for a relatively simply dish. I've never had mussels, so I don't know how they taste or how easy they are to cook. Are they foolproof?
For the most part, yes. But like everything, it takes talent to make them superb.
post #304 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
For the most part, yes. But like everything, it takes talent to make them superb.
True dat - kind of like why they always do egg challenges.
post #305 of 632
that does seem to be a theme with this run of the series ... it's like they're on a campaign to remind people that cooking isn't about obscure ingredients, weird combinations and technical tricks. it's about flavor and texture. good for them.
post #306 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
It seems like everyone was mad that Antonia won for a relatively simply dish. I've never had mussels, so I don't know how they taste or how easy they are to cook. Are they foolproof?

They are pretty hard to screw up in my opinion.
post #307 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip1978 View Post
They are pretty hard to screw up in my opinion.

they're quite easily to do an ok job with. which means to me that a simple dish using them has to be really well done to impress those judges.
post #308 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
they're quite easily to do an ok job with. which means to me that a simple dish using them has to be really well done to impress those judges.

I'll agree with this.
post #309 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
they're quite easily to do an ok job with. which means to me that a simple dish using them has to be really well done to impress those judges.

Indeed. I love me some mussels and garlic bread. But you can get good mussels almost anywhere when in season. To make the judges and guests rave about them would probably take some exceptionally well cooked and seasoned mussels.
post #310 of 632
top chef (and the judges) has said multiple times that producers don't try and influence which chefs they want in. they don't even get to taste the foods. case in point carroll leaving.
post #311 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
top chef (and the judges) has said multiple times that producers don't try and influence which chefs they want in. they don't even get to taste the foods. case in point carroll leaving.

yeah, i know colicchio a little bit. he's always been very vocal about the fact that the reason top chef works so well is that they take the food more seriously than the personalities. that's not to say that the personalities are ignored, but when it comes to making decisions, they leave it to the judges.
post #312 of 632
Wow this Buitoni ravioli is amazing!
post #313 of 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
Wow this Buitoni ravioli is amazing!

I lol'd at that too.
post #314 of 632
I think one of the chefs should serve frozen Buitoni ravioli in the finale.
post #315 of 632
I feel bad for Angelo. It looked like his pulled pork sandwich was a lot more imaginative than Carla's chicken pot pie.

Winning the Quickfire Challenge was de facto immunity for Dale. No way he was going home unless his dish was a lot worse than the others.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Top Chef All Stars